Likes Likes:  106
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything VanVleet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Guys, we covered this a while ago when the signing was first reported. Camp invite, nothing more. We invited 4 guys last year, none of them made the team.
    Or it's possible that Masai suspects that CoJo or Wright will be needed for a PF trade (based on his trade talks thus far ) and wants to ensure that he has someone within the organization to move into the roster spot.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

Super Moderator
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a great point. Cojo has already come up in rumours.

Raptors Republic Veteran MixxAOR's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wonder if he's better than Byucks and Stone lol

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Or it's possible that Masai suspects that CoJo or Wright will be needed for a PF trade (based on his trade talks thus far ) and wants to ensure that he has someone within the organization to move into the roster spot.
    Or maybe he has a deal lined up for JV and wants to run 5 point guards out there. Neither are the case, and certainly this move points to neither. A guy slipped past the draft that they like and would like to have on the 905. If a spot opens up, sure, that opens up an opportunity for him. But this signing does not even remotely suggest that such an opening will be created soon.

Guys, we had 4 signings exactly like this one last season and not a single one of them made the roster, and at the time of their signings there was actually a roster spot available. Trying to find meaning in this in terms of potential roster moves is a fool's game.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or maybe he has a deal lined up for JV and wants to run 5 point guards out there. Neither are the case, and certainly this move points to neither. A guy slipped past the draft that they like and would like to have on the 905. If a spot opens up, sure, that opens up an opportunity for him. But this signing does not even remotely suggest that such an opening will be created soon.

Guys, we had 4 signings exactly like this one last season and not a single one of them made the roster, and at the time of their signings there was actually a roster spot available. Trying to find meaning in this in terms of potential roster moves is a fool's game.
    Not nearly as foolish as telling people what they should bother talking about or not.

Maybe Masai has no intentions of VanFleet past the summer but maybe he's seen the trade demands and is stacking PG first because he foresees a deal that might cost us CoJo or Wright and wants to have a replacement within the organization for quick back fill.

VanFleet was one of the more intriguing undrafted players due to some interesting projections. Masai obviously made him somewhat of a priority over other guys at this stage.

Raptors Republic Superstar Just Is's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly; I was hoping from the get go of his Summer League team invite that he'd at least get a Camp Invite. I look forward to watching him play on the 905.

It's also pretty noticeable in this case as he actually did down offers teams gave him in regards to being drafted in the second round. If I can find the article in regards to it; I'll repost it here.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guarantee is 50k, right in line with last year's guarantees.

Axel, you are free to discuss it all you like, just as I am free to discuss it with you and point out that any conclusions reached based on this signing are likely in error, just as they would have been last year in the exact same scenario.

Raptors Republic All-Star DogeLover1234's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Just Is wrote: View Post
    Honestly; I was hoping from the get go of his Summer League team invite that he'd at least get a Camp Invite. I look forward to watching him play on the 905.

It's also pretty noticeable in this case as he actually did down offers teams gave him in regards to being drafted in the second round. If I can find the article in regards to it; I'll repost it here.
    From what ive heard a lot of guys late in tge draft would rather go undrafted and have more control over where they end up and their contract status.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The guys on 905 last yr were kinda depth pieces but also more athletic flier types. When they got berry and singler and now vanvleet they are more like depth pieces with a specific skill, Iq and all round game with less upside. That seems more like an insurance policy. You buy insurance even tho u may never use it. Like they probably won't make a trade but if they did trade Ross and a point guard then I could see how singler and vanvleet would fit, short term.
    I could also see Fred being a better fit than delon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Axel, you are free to discuss it all you like, just as I am free to discuss it with you and point out that any conclusions reached based on this signing are likely in error, just as they would have been last year in the exact same scenario.
    Oh good, you do understand that. Hard to tell since your contributions to this thread thus far have been telling everyone it was decided a while ago that he was a camp invite and nothing to discuss and mocking anything people have said. Since you seem to have made up your mind, perhaps you can allow others to still indulge in conversation.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well said axel.

I'd like to see fvv get a chance to take a few mins from Lowry (43 mins last game).

Fvv can play inside out and is a good passer, particularly he can lead the roll man. This could really help jv to play with the 2nd unit.
    Fvv
    Ross
    Dmc
    Pat
    Jv

You can also use cory and norm with fvv off ball and those guys can help hide fvv on defense. Also, you could swap Dmc for pat.

The point is this is a totally different look than dd and kl. Hopefully those guys get 8 mins rest while jv gets some looks and our shooters get some looks.

Fvv
    Ross
    Norm
    Dmc
    Jv

This a lineup I'd like to see. I like Ross and norm together.

That leaves

Kl
    Cj
    Dd
    Pp
    Ln

Jv vs zaza on the 2nd night of the back vs gsw might be a good test.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would not like to see a single non-garbage time minute where both DeRozan and Lowry are on the bench this season (barring injury to one of them of course, or a rest game where one or both sit).

I would also not like to see Van Vleet play a single non-garbage time minute (again barring injury to Lowry or CoJo, rest game, etc).

We have plenty enough wing and guard depth without plumbing the 15th spot for rotation minutes. It's just a matter of apportioning minutes correctly to Lowry, DD, CoJo, Powell, Ross and Carroll.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You also didn't want norm to play until someone got injured (Lowry's finger was hurt, not injured).

Dmc didn't play on the 2nd night of the back to back. Could be the same vs gsw.
    Kl 41mins, dd 36. Give fvv 6 -8 mins from Lowry. (Try it once)
    Norm 29
    Cory 20
    Ross 18

They got mins. Vs knicks

Cory hasn't played great offensively. I know he's your guy but how's he looking this yr? Ross still disappears.

3 areas of concern:. Jonas not being involved, ball movement, shooting.

These are fvv strengths. Are we going to bury delon in garbage time too (again)? Just trade delon then.

Anyway, watch Lowry get hurt or burn out after the all star break (precedence) then fvv pulls a bebe and "trade Lowry" blows up the forum.

Casey doesnt need to keep his sphincter clenched at all times. It's early days. Back to back vs cavs away and gsw at home. We're bound to lose one, more likely both. Give your guys a break.

Only garbage time this year was norm getting two mins vs all Detroit's scrubs. That's not garbage time. Casey's not playing for his contract anymore. Loosen up. These guys are all pros. 6-8 mins is not gonna break us and it might help us.

Same arguments were made vs norm and bebe. IT'S A FOOL'S GAME. (See how that last line was totally unnecessary and insulting? I apologize. Civility.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no problem with Casey loosening up or taking schedule losses. But don't run guys like FVV out in games you are trying to win. Might as well get the benefit of a night off if you are going to make rotation choices that hurt your chances of winning. Rest Lowry for a game and give Van Vleet some minutes, sure. Fitting him into an already very crowded (if mismanaged) guard rotation? No thanks.

Why would anyone be insulted by someone describing a situation as a fool's game? That's a pretty common saying for describing a situation where there is no chance (or very little) of success.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry if I make false assumption here Axel but he sounded like he didn't appreciate it to me. I've expressed it to you. I just read similar comments toward you on rapshq for calling someone/their idea foolish. (Youre a contributor there ffs!)
    It doesn't matter whether you think you hurt someones feelings, it matters if they're feelings are hurt. Calling someone's idea foolish is by extension calling them a fool. I suspect you know this.
    Everyone appreciates your insight Dan but not the insults. If you want to be comic book guy so be it. Don't play coy, own it like a man. You'll get it right back.
    Benefit of the doubt, if it really doesn't occur to you that people feel insulted, even when they tell you they feel insulted then that's a bigger concern than basketball. Sorry, I know that's not my business.
    Anyway, we are all human, we all makes mistakes. It's ok to be wrong and to accept that others can be wrong. Abbas thinks the raps will win every game. He's likely wrong but what a great fan! I wouldn't call his prediction foolish. That is tantamount to calling him a fool. For celebrating his team? He doesn't deserve that. (Sorry Abbas).
    Happy posting!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote lewro wrote: View Post
    Sorry if I make false assumption here Axel but he sounded like he didn't appreciate it to me. I've expressed it to you. I just read similar comments toward you on rapshq for calling someone/their idea foolish. (Youre a contributor there ffs!)
    It doesn't matter whether you think you hurt someones feelings, it matters if they're feelings are hurt. Calling someone's idea foolish is by extension calling them a fool. I suspect you know this.
    Everyone appreciates your insight Dan but not the insults. If you want to be comic book guy so be it. Don't play coy, own it like a man. You'll get it right back.
    Benefit of the doubt, if it really doesn't occur to you that people feel insulted, even when they tell you they feel insulted then that's a bigger concern than basketball. Sorry, I know that's not my business.
    Anyway, we are all human, we all makes mistakes. It's ok to be wrong and to accept that others can be wrong. Abbas thinks the raps will win every game. He's likely wrong but what a great fan! I wouldn't call his prediction foolish. That is tantamount to calling him a fool. For celebrating his team? He doesn't deserve that. (Sorry Abbas).
    Happy posting!
    You might not know this but those comments towards me on Raptors HQ come from an ex-poster of this site who was known to stir up issues and has since been banned from here because of that.

What I said on Raptors HQ was that trading JV to make room for BeBe or Poeltl as a full time starting C based on their performance so far this year would be foolish.

Also, please note the explicit rules of this forum when considering whether attacking someone's idea is the same as attacking that person:

* DO NOT make personal attacks (name calling, hostile remarks, accusations, etc.). In discussion, attack ideas and opinions, not the people who hold them. Note that an attack on your ideas and beliefs are not considered a personal attack under our rules even if you identify so closely with your beliefs and ideas that you personally consider an attack on those beliefs or ideas to be an attack on you.
    http://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/sh...s-amp-Policies

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's what I thought. Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt bc everyone deserves it. As you wish.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not gonna lie, not gonna read all of that exchange. Keep it civil and on topic gents.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really happy for Freddy. Here's a guy, who really has no business being on a NBA roster, was once a 4th string player, and here he is looking great and potentially pushing a 1st round draft pick for minutes. Slowly turning into one of my favourite players to watch on this squad.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Really happy for Freddy. Here's a guy, who really has no business being on a NBA roster, was once a 4th string player, and here he is looking great and potentially pushing a 1st round draft pick for minutes. Slowly turning into one of my favourite players to watch on this squad.
    Love the attitude he plays with. Kind of like Norm all business no messing around
    @Chr1st1anL

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information