Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    This is what I thought, but lately OG has been getting garbage time minutes, which makes no sense at all in terms of the theory they are protecting him from more minutes than he needs to play.
    Just a shot in the dark on my part, but perhaps a reason for the 'garbage time' minutes for OG with the young guys is to give OG a chance to work with the ball in his hands a bit more, be a bigger focal point of the offense etc. With the starters, OG is definitely the 5th option on offense (perhaps 6th - refs bailing out one of the other starters), and he tends to defer to the others, but in this timeframe, it gives a chance to play through mistakes, understand any limitations from his ACL recovery etc,

Comment

This is what I thought, but lately OG has been getting garbage time minutes, which makes no sense at all in terms of the theory they are protecting him from more minutes than he needs to play.
      I think he's in better health now so they're giving him some more run. I also think Casey doesn't want him out there in crunch time? I have no idea why though he's the best defender on the team

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        FVV IS easily replaceable. Not by Lorenzo Brown obviously, but there are always backup PGs like TJ McConnell, Isaiah Canaan, Troy Daniels, DJ Augustin, CJ Watson, Josh Hart, Jerian Grant, Brandon Jennings, Nando de Colo, Norris Cole, etc.... available every year in the market, as free agents or they can be picked up cheaply in trades and do what FVV is doing.
        At this point I believe Dwayne Casey would rather lose his right testicle than Fred VanVleet. I hope Masai agrees with him. He's shooting above 40% from three, his teammates obviously love him and he is clearly the captain of the second unit. Maybe McConnell is a similar player but I think Philly loves him right now too.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          I really don't know what the aversion to closing games with OG as the 5th guy is.
          Rookie. Casey trusts (in this approximate order):

1. Derozan
          2. Lowry
          3. Fvv
          4. Ibaka
          5. Wright
          6. Siakam
          7. Jv
          8. Powell
          9. Poeltl

Even CJ gets no crunch time chances. His time will come
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Based on comments made by posters here, it seems unlikely the Raps will retain fred in the offseason. If that's the case, should the Raps be looking to move him ahead of the deadline? Or is the potential return less than Fred's value to the team?

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Based on comments made by posters here, it seems unlikely the Raps will retain fred in the offseason. If that's the case, should the Raps be looking to move him ahead of the deadline? Or is the potential return less than Fred's value to the team?
              Hard to say. They could definitely keep him in the off-season. There's no guarantee another team offers a significant deal. But if they want to shy away from the risk he walks, then they would explore his trade value. If there's a 1st rounder for him out there, do you turn it down?

I'm sure they are already exploring the same possibility with Bebe and Bruno, who will probably not be qualified, and will probably only come back if they can be had for near the minimum.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Based on comments made by posters here, it seems unlikely the Raps will retain fred in the offseason. If that's the case, should the Raps be looking to move him ahead of the deadline? Or is the potential return less than Fred's value to the team?
                Any team with even am outside shot at the finals should not be selling players for picks. So no I don't think we should be shopping fred. Unless of course the package for a star but he's probably not part of a package considering he's got 3 months left on his deal
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Fred has 7 pages. How many for Bruno? The universe is a funny place.

Comment

• How would NBA GM's value FVV vs Marcus Smart? Apparently in the latest Woj podcast he was discussing Smart's pending RFA with Bobby Marks and Marks thinks offers will only be in the $8-10 million range.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Hard to say. They could definitely keep him in the off-season. There's no guarantee another team offers a significant deal. But if they want to shy away from the risk he walks, then they would explore his trade value. If there's a 1st rounder for him out there, do you turn it down?

I'm sure they are already exploring the same possibility with Bebe and Bruno, who will probably not be qualified, and will probably only come back if they can be had for near the minimum.
                      3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      How would NBA GM's value FVV vs Marcus Smart? Apparently in the latest Woj podcast he was discussing Smart's pending RFA with Bobby Marks and Marks thinks offers will only be in the $8-10 million range.
                      I wonder the same thing. Do we have bird rights with FVV? It would be nice to retain him, but if your offered a 1st rounder and it seems unlikely you will retain him than it would be difficult to pass up moving him.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        How would NBA GM's value FVV vs Marcus Smart? Apparently in the latest Woj podcast he was discussing Smart's pending RFA with Bobby Marks and Marks thinks offers will only be in the $8-10 million range.
                        At the moment, Smart would be valued higher because NBA GMs have a much larger sample size on Smart - good & bad. Smart also has a "reputation" as a bulldog defender / agitator. And he did have some nice playoff games as the starter when IT went down last year, so he's got exposure working for him. I'd peg Fred at 3-6M/yr right now in the eyes of NBA GMs, depending on how he does in the playoffs.

An interesting reference is 2Pat, who is a high IQ multi-position defender who plays a high demand/low supply position (stretch 4) and he's only making $5M/yr. He killed his value by closing the season poorly and laying an egg in the playoffs, when people were speculating 15M/yr was his floor. Then there was Biyombo, who had like one great playoff series against the Cavs and he's making $17M/yr.

Comment

• Also Orlando gave Biyombo his contract and Houston gave PP his, which says quite a bit about how differently those two franchises are run.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• OKC, not Houston, but anyway. OKC not quite as effective as Morey, just cheap.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I wonder the same thing. Do we have bird rights with FVV? It would be nice to retain him, but if your offered a 1st rounder and it seems unlikely you will retain him than it would be difficult to pass up moving him.
                              We have Early Bird Rights. Can offer him up to Norm's deal, or match any offer made to him (which would have to be a Gilbert Arenas backloaded deal if it exceeds the Norm deal).
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We have Early Bird Rights. Can offer him up to Norm's deal, or match any offer made to him (which would have to be a Gilbert Arenas backloaded deal if it exceeds the Norm deal).
                                it's gonna be interesting to see what other teams think of fred this offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X