ESPN Eastern conference projections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Again, though, he exclusively shot from above the break the past few seasons. The Raptors' offensive system pushes a lot of PF 3 point shots into the corner (Scola took 50% of his threes from the corner, Patterson took 40% of his from there). Sullinger took 2% of his threes from the corner. That's not a typo, two percent.

Corner threes are 22' from the rim. Above the break threes are 24'. Sullinger shot 44% from 20-24 feet last year. And 29% on shots from >24 feet (not including his three half-to-full court heaves). So that will make a huge difference for him.
    I saw you say that but I didn't realize our system pushes a lot of corner 3's for our PFs. If he truly does shoot 44% from around that range then I take what I said. He definitely isn't afraid to shoot that's for sure. It's crazy that only 2% of his 3s were from the corner though. I wonder why Boston never figured that out and changed that
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Offensive rebounding is great and I definitely expect he will get his chances there. But in terms of fit on the floor, he has to spend a lot of time on the outside to leverage the strengths of the better players around him (JV and DD primarily). If Sully gets minutes with that Lowry+bench unit, he should definitely be setting screens and crashing the boards full time, but with the starters he should primarily be a jump shooter opening up the floor for the others (not exclusively, but primarily).
      Sure, this is what you wish could/would happen, but the reality is that this is Lowry & DD's team. And once they realize that Sullinger can set good screens, rebound their misses and reset their broken plays with decent passing, you'll see a lot more Sully hand-off PnR just like Christian is saying. It allows Lowry/DD to call their own number more often without dragging down the team offensive efficiency. Premeditated drive & kickouts to shooters just isn't in Lowry/DD's DNA and Casey can't change that either. Nor is passing to the rolling big.

Same reason why we saw Scola starting, because his IQ and versatility complemented DD/Lowry's un-predictability as a bail-out / glue guy on offense. Same reason why Carroll is struggling, because he can't read Lowry/DD's tendencies and is often being forced to drive the ball to bail them out and recover a possession. Sullinger's IQ & versatility should give him a good chance to mesh with Lowry/DD better than most, beyond being solely a stretch big as the best way to "fit".

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
        I saw you say that but I didn't realize our system pushes a lot of corner 3's for our PFs. If he truly does shoot 44% from around that range then I take what I said. He definitely isn't afraid to shoot that's for sure. It's crazy that only 2% of his 3s were from the corner though. I wonder why Boston never figured that out and changed that
        I think Boston wanted to take advantage of his passing skills. By putting him at the top of the 3 point line so he could see the whole court and make plays.

I think we will see DD/Sully hand off PnR with Sully having the option to fade to the corner of roll to the rim.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          I think Boston wanted to take advantage of his passing skills. By putting him at the top of the 3 point line so he could see the whole court and make plays.

I think we will see DD/Sully hand off PnR with Sully having the option to fade to the corner of roll to the rim.
          Good point.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Raptors are that Indianna team that couldn't beat LBJ in Miami.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

o_0...? There are no similarities between the Raptors and that Indiana team in strategy, composition, or accomplishments.

The Pacers had a better coach in Vogel, a true superstar in Paul George, David West, and Roy Hibbert anchoring their defense before he fell off a cliff in Los Angeles this season. Prior to the Paul George injury, they won 28 playoff games over 4 seasons

2011: 12th in Def Eff 1st Round [L 4-1 to Bulls]
              2012: 10th in Def Eff ECS [W 4-1 over Magic, L 4-2 to Heat]
              2013: 1st in Def Eff ECF [W 4-2 over Hawks, W 4-3 over Knicks L 4-3 to the Heat]
              2014: 1st in Def Eff ECF [W 4-3 Hawks, W 4-2 Wizards, L 4-2 to the Heat]
              2015: 8th in Def Eff **Missed Playoffs**
              2016: 3rd in Def Eff 1st Round [L 4-3 to Raptors]

**How Vogel managed to craft a top 10 defense without Paul George is nothing short of remarkable. They vaulted back up to 3rd with him this year.

The Raptors have no superstar, Casey at the helm, and in their 3 year span of playoff appearances have won 13 playoff games.

2014: 9th in Def Eff 1st Round [L 4-3 to Nets]
              2015: 23rd in Def Eff 1st Round [L 4-0 to Wizards]
              2016: 11th in Def Eff ECF [W 4-3 over Pacers, W 4-3 over Heat, L 4-2 to Cavs]

One season of playoff relevance doesn't put the Raptors on par with what those Pacers did during their heyday. They have to prove that they can make more than one deep playoff run.
              Last edited by Sinbad; Tue Jul 26, 2016, 05:57 PM. Reason: Context

Comment

That's not bad at all.

If Vogel keeps Hibbert on the floor at the end of Game 1 in 2013, the Pacers probably win that series and go on to the Finals. That series was a real grueling battle. I don't think the Raptors were at that level last season. Should be taking a big step next season.

Side note: Does this mean Bismack is the new Hibbert? Huge series against the eventual champs but then fizzes out in later years? Very very possible. And a another potential breakout year for DeMar?? (Paul George). Fantastic.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                  I don't think losing Scola will be an issue lol
                  A lot of outsiders believe the loss of Biz will

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
                    A lot of outsiders believe the loss of Biz will
                    Some days it will and some it won't, of course if we lose JV again to a good chunk of time it would be more difficult to replace.

I am hoping that our rooks (Pascal/Poeltl) will catch on quickly because we are going to need a good contribution again from everybody to return to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                      I actually feel bad for Nets fans
                      All 14 of them?

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                        All 14 of them?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          Nets projected to be last in the East and the Celtics get another top 3 pick. sheesh.
                          Means less if make another Jaylen Brown pick.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                            Means less if make another Jaylen Brown pick.
                            Not really possible in next year's draft. Moreover, are we already declaring busts without a single game played.

Comment

http://sportsuncut.com/index.php/201...-finals-teams/ reggie millers picks

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
                                Personally, I think Teague is under rated because he deserves to be. I don't think anyone knows how many games or what you are going to get out of Jefferson, but Sully is pretty much a younger version of him and cancels any advantage Al brings in a match up vs. Tor.

If DeMar or Kyle or God forbid both Damar and Kyle can show up against Indiana then I think it should be a fairly one sided match up if we see them in the playoffs.

The other big component is how the team will play under Nate Macmillan. Have to think that he's a step down from Vogel.

Comment

Working...
                                X