Everything Trade Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupe wrote: View Post
    You could win a title with prime Melo as your top scorer if you put the right team around him. You think that 2009 Nuggets team wasn't a title contender?

Iso ball has become so undervalued nowadays with the increasing prevalence of advanced stats. The ability to create your own shot consistently is still the hardest and most valuable skill in the game of basketball. Obviously you don't want an iso play on every possession, but having guys like Cousins who can score from any area of the floor effectively (at that size too) is invaluable. That's the kind of high-end talent that could make us good enough to beat Cleveland, not JV. Not hating on JV or anything, because I think he's one of the better centers in the league but this would be like saying no to a DeRozan+assets for Harden swap while keeping JV and Lowry, just not very forward-thinking.
    Therein lies the big risk with Cousins: (a) he uses an extremely high number of possessions (>30% USG) - higher than any current Raptor & (b) he does NOT score effectively/efficiently (he is below league average ORTG).

So he needs to change, but his history seems to indicate that when he's challenged by coaches/teammates to change his style of play, it usually doesn't go over too well. Casey couldn't change the playing style of of Rudy Gay, who by all accounts is a pretty easy-going guy, so good luck reigning in Boogie.

Comment

• Way too much is placed on individuals.

Cousins has such a high usage because his teams have been so weak AND are poorly built. People think LeBron was carrying teams from day 1 because he's this god. He put up a 27-7-7 stat line in his second season but didn't make the playoffs. 2 years later, he puts up "only" 27-6-6 with a worse BPM, VORP and PER but somehow his team ends up with 50 wins and makes it to the Finals.

What happened?

Completely different roster approach. In 05 it was: give LeBron the ball and get the hell out of the way. In 2007 it was: give LeBron the ball and make it harder for defenses to key in on him by surrounding him with shooters and scorers for both the starting lineup AND second unit. More scorers meant less individual production for him but it also meant he could work harder on the other end of the floor on a more consistent basis.

So what does that mean for Cousins?

It means that the Front Office needs to get their shit together and at least attempt to put a cohesive unit on the floor if they want to see their team in the playoffs. Trading down in the draft to select positions already filled and letting Seth Curry leave on a 2 year 6 million dollar deal are the kinds of boneheaded decisions that are keeping that team in their purgatory. Not DeMarcus Cousins.

Comment

Basketball is a team sport. Even C-Webb didn't really do anything in the playoffs until they put together that great team in Sacramento in 2001-02. Cousins isn't a LeBron who can just carry mediocre players to 60 wins, but he does seem like a Sheed or ZBo or CWebb who could be the best or second best player on a championship caliber team.
        What if DMC does not see himself as a 2nd or 3rd option on a championship team?
        CWebb going to Sac was a good example, but what if he is a Howard, very talented player that does not get what it takes to win?
        K Love was content being a 3rd option. Are you sure DMC will go for it?
        Do we have srong enough personalities as players or coaches to "guide" him?
        Personally, I'd pass unless a bargain (which I doubt). Let a desperate team like Boston go for it.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I would rather explore possible power forwards, zach lowe mentioned aldridge, Millsap and even bosh as possible options that may come available at some point. Call me crazy but I'm not convinced were better long term by losing jv and Powell for cousins.
          I think both of those options (see bold) are more realistic & a lot cheaper (likely);
          Millsap may be available if Atl out of playoffs (with Howard there you never know);
          If Bosh gets bought out/released due to health -would we or him consider "re-union"? I think he is more likely to re-become LBJ bietch again.

Comment

• Millsap and Bosh are more realistic yes but neither of them would make us better than Cleveland. Cousins just might.

Comment

Millsap and Bosh are more realistic yes but neither of them would make us better than Cleveland. Cousins just might.
              I think both Bosh and Millsap have a better chance of helping us get past CLE than Cousins would, when you consider the costs associated with each.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Dont Have Any Any Idea about this :/
                https://e-aadhar.ooo

Aadhar card Update

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  I think both Bosh and Millsap have a better chance of helping us get past CLE than Cousins would, when you consider the costs associated with each.
                  I agree with this, I also think Bosh or Millsap slides in more easily without disrupting chemistry or systems. They both seem like the type to accept a role(and we know Bosh will, because he's done it).
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    I agree with this, I also think Bosh or Millsap slides in more easily without disrupting chemistry or systems. They both seem like the type to accept a role(and we know Bosh will, because he's done it).
                    Both also seem possible to get without losing JV. Not likely true of Cousins.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I read in Lowe's column last week that if Bosh signs somewhere else he can't play in the playoffs this year. Is that right?

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post
                        I'm pretty sure I read in Lowe's column last week that if Bosh signs somewhere else he can't play in the playoffs this year. Is that right?
                        If MIA waits until after Mar 1 to waive/retire him, yeah. No one waived after that date is eligible for post-season play.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If MIA waits until after Mar 1 to waive/retire him, yeah. No one waived after that date is eligible for post-season play.
                          Which seems to be the date that Miami will wait until due to the cap implications of Bosh playing too many games this year.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            Which seems to be the date that Miami will wait until due to the cap implications of Bosh playing too many games this year.
                            Yep.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I don't. I think even with Bosh and Millsap we still don't really get any advantage over Cleveland that might allow us to win, Cousins would give us a superstar who can exploit their lack of a true impact post defender and size down low. Even if he did cost more to acquire.

There's a limiting factor when it comes to real championship contention in the NBA and it's superstar talent. It's almost never happened that a team has been able to ascend past other championship level teams without a player with the superstar ability to take over, dominate and impose their will on games. With Millsap we would definitely be better, but he nor Lowry or DeRozan or JV are that level of player. Some might argue that we were close to beating Cleveland and he would get us over the hump, but I really don't think that's the case. Yes it was 4-2, but the way we were dominated in the 4 losses indicates a serious gap in superstar talent that won't be overcome by adding someone like Millsap.

I get your point though, getting Millsap you think we could retain more depth while still strengthening the starting lineup. It's an interesting point, but it might even be falsely rooted because I'm not sure acquiring Cousins would necessarily require torpedoing depth. If you're trading JV, prospects, maybe one key rotation player and picks that's not really hurting depth just future assets. The team itself would still be strong and deep.

Bosh also isn't really a viable option.
                              Last edited by Lupe; Tue Oct 18, 2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I don't. I think even with Bosh and Millsap we still don't really get any advantage over Cleveland that might allow us to win, Cousins would give us a superstar who can exploit their lack of a true impact post defender and size down low. Even if he did cost more to acquire.

There's a limiting factor when it comes to real championship contention in the NBA and it's superstar talent. It's almost never happened that a team has been able to ascend past other championship level teams without a player with the superstar ability to take over, dominate and impose their will on games. With Millsap we would definitely be better, but he nor Lowry or DeRozan or JV are that level of player. Some might argue that we were close to beating Cleveland and he would get us over the hump, but I really don't think that's the case. Yes it was 4-2, but the way we were dominated in the 4 losses indicates a serious gap in superstar talent that won't be overcome by adding someone like Millsap.

I get your point though, getting Millsap you think we could retain more depth while still strengthening the starting lineup. It's an interesting point, but it might even be falsely rooted because I'm not sure acquiring Cousins would necessarily require torpedoing depth. If you're trading JV, prospects, maybe one key rotation player and picks that's not really hurting depth just future assets. The team itself would still be strong and deep.

Bosh also isn't really a viable option.
                                No, obtaining Millsap probably hurts depth more (as a deal presumably has role players like Ross or PP outgoing), but helps with the starting lineup incredibly, addressing our key weakness while keeping our top 3 players. Obtaining Cousins lets you keep the depth (while losing prospects and picks) but provides a more nominal upgrade on JV (who by many measures is a far more effective player than Cousins has been, or at least comparable) while leaving the weakness at PF in place.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X