The Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    Still browsing for a new vehicle .. anyone with opinions on BMW's 2 or 4 series (non-M)?
    Most enthusiasts agree that the 2 series is the best driving car in BMW's lineup, in terms of power, weight distribution, handling, etc. It has the fun factor of previous generations' 3 series (before the current 3 series got soft, lol).

I think they're both available with the N55 3.0L straight 6, which is one of the most robust engines BMW's built to date. Heck, it's powering my 5 series. Super smooth, especially if equipped with the 8 speed tranny.

I think the choice comes down to budget, and whether you need the extra leg room for rear passengers.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      I had the 440i gran coupe for 3 months. It's pretty shameful to call it a gran coupe. Just a 3-series HB with a higher price tag. I sold it and went for the Tesla.
      Which Tesla?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Which Tesla?
        P100D Model S

Comment

I think they're both available with the N55 3.0L straight 6, which is one of the most robust engines BMW's built to date. Heck, it's powering my 5 series. Super smooth, especially if equipped with the 8 speed tranny.

I think the choice comes down to budget, and whether you need the extra leg room for rear passengers.
          Really? Well shit ... shows how much I know. Neat!

Ignore what I said earlier. If you can get the Straight-6, in the body of a 2, then you absolutely should do that instead. Haha

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
            P100D Model S
            Holy shit! Nice! Street legal rocket. Is this you???

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
              Really? Well shit ... shows how much I know. Neat!

Ignore what I said earlier. If you can get the Straight-6, in the body of a 2, then you absolutely should do that instead. Haha
              Lol ya, the 235/240 come with the 6. I drove my cousin's 235....it's a blast to drive, especially with the manual. The power-to-weight ratio is palpable.

Comment

I need your guys’ expertise. My mom wants to buy a new car and I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to cars. She wants an SUV ideally under the $25k range. She also won’t ever buy a new car. Any ideas?

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                  I need your guys’ expertise. My mom wants to buy a new car and I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to cars. She wants an SUV ideally under the $25k range. She also won’t ever buy a new car. Any ideas?
                  I'm no expert.. and I'm not a car guy. And I've only ever bought new not used. I also don't own an SUV.. but the one thing that helped me when I bought my last car was I took my time with it. Took many test drives and just decided on the one that felt right for both me and my wife.

cars.com is a pretty good site where you can compare different vehicles for things like mileage, cost or user ratings. So that can help get you started too.

Comment

First thing to do is talk with your mom and identify what are her priorities for her vehicle

- is she wanting the SUV because of the better visibility / drive height?

- Is she wanting to haul groups of people around town / longer trips?

- Is she interested in some of the newer innovations (blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise etc)

There's lots of options for SUVs at the moment, so If you get a better sense of your mom's priorities and wants, then we can help better

Comment

Without knowing exactly what she's looking for, the safe and easy bet would be something like a Toyota Rav4 or a Honda CRV, if she's not interested in the frills. They're super boring, but they're also super reliable, and plentiful on the resale market, so she could find a good deal on a used one. I've seen many instances of both the Rav4 and CRVs with 300,000 miles on them, with plenty left. Things go forever, so even if she finds one with ~100,000kms (which would come in far less than her $25k budget I would guess), she'd still get another life out of it.
                      Last edited by Joey; Mon Nov 12, 2018, 12:35 AM.

Comment

The fundamental recommendation re "find out your mom's priorities & needs" is really the best way to go about this. It's a large investment and....
                        A very important consideration is ...weather ... she's in Canada presumably! Will she be doing any significant winter driving? The AWD (all wheel drive) option is fairly prevalent now but if you/she wants a used one this is a good option to have and should be checked for.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                          Without knowing exactly what she's looking for, the safe and easy bet would be something like a Toyota Rav4 or a Honda CRV, if she's not interested in the frills. They're super boring, but they're also super reliable, and plentiful on the resale market, so she could find a good deal on a used one. I've seen many instances of both the Rav4 and CRVs with 300,000 miles on them, with plenty left. Things go forever, so even if she finds one with ~100,000kms (which would come in far less than her $25k budget I would guess), she'd still get another life out of it.
                          The Rav4 and CRV would be where I start too. Maybe throw in the Mazda CX-5 if looking for a little extra personality.

Lots of Hyundai Santa Fe's in that price range as well.

Comment

I'm personally not a fan of it's styling, but everyone I know who's owned one, absolutely LOVE their Subaru Forester.

Comment

The Rav4 and CRV would be where I start too. Maybe throw in the Mazda CX-5 if looking for a little extra personality.

Lots of Hyundai Santa Fe's in that price range as well.
                              My dad had a Sante Fe, I drove it a few times. Very easy drive, no complaints from him either.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

LOL This is wild. No idea where else to put this, but I guess Warning for language ...

Edited the thread name to make this relevant. Lol
                                Last edited by Joey; Mon Dec 3, 2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X