No announcement yet.

The Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having side skirts and front spoiler installed on my GTI this Friday ... will post some pics when it's done. Thing is so much fun to take to the track, but need to more go-fast bits and pieces.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
      I'm having side skirts and front spoiler installed on my GTI this Friday ... will post some pics when it's done. Thing is so much fun to take to the track, but need to more go-fast bits and pieces.
      Have you looked into a Stage 1 tune?

I think I'll one day add a subtle front lip spoiler and side skirts as well.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Have you looked into a Stage 1 tune?
        Ya, I'm looking at the JB1/JB4 as that is more of a "temporary" tune (they make em for BMW as well), which you can just unplug before taking it in to the Dealer. Gotta keep that sweet sweet warranty in tact! Lol

I think I'll one day add a subtle front lip spoiler and side skirts as well.
        Will look so dope. Although, that's a pretty nice/aggressive front that's come stock on that baby - really like it. What year is that? Brand new?

Comment

Ya, I'm looking at the JB1/JB4 as that is more of a "temporary" tune (they make em for BMW as well), which you can just unplug before taking it in to the Dealer. Gotta keep that sweet sweet warranty in tact! Lol

Will look so dope. Although, that's a pretty nice/aggressive front that's come stock on that baby - really like it. What year is that? Brand new?
          I've actually heard that VW can still check if the ECU has been flashed back to stock, and whether the warranty is voided or not depends on the dealership's interpretation (some are more favourable towards tunes than others). But good luck! Fun times behind the wheel await!

Mines actually old, a 2013 model. But only 55,000km. So should last me a while still as I only drive about 12-15k a year. It has the M Sport Package which gives it the meaner looking front fascia, rear diffuser, sport suspension and 19" wheels. But I like to make my cars look a tad unique, so I'll add a black M5 grill, front lip, side skirts, and maybe chrome exhaust tips, and go from there.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Comment

My baby with her new skirts and front...

Last edited by Joey; Fri Aug 24, 2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Looks sharp man! Nice!

Where'd you get the work done?

Comment

Looks sharp man! Nice!

Where'd you get the work done?
                Thanks man! I get most of my work done at this little 3 man shop up in Markham - SFG Autohaus. Specialize in VW/Audi, and they do quality work; but mostly they don't mind me hovering over their shoulder as they work. Lol

Comment

So.. my ride (08 Speed3) needs twice as much repair work than the car is worth (with additional work looming).

Pondering a brand-new, or nearly-new vehicle around the $40k range. Definitely want a stick-shift - looking at the Golf R and the Veloster N

The Civic R styling is just too 'juvenile' for my tastes

Any opinions?

Comment

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                    So.. my ride (08 Speed3) needs twice as much repair work than the car is worth (with additional work looming).

Pondering a brand-new, or nearly-new vehicle around the $40k range. Definitely want a stick-shift - looking at the Golf R and the Veloster N

The Civic R styling is just too 'juvenile' for my tastes

Any opinions?
                    Love those Speed3's. Great cars.

Agree on the CTRs. Way too much going on for my tastes.

Golf R will probably run you closer to $45k+, but that's what I would vote on; or an Impreza, but their engines, transmissions and clutches are trash... so there's that.

Don't buy a Hyundai. Just don't. Lol Though I have heard good things about those Kia Stingers.

Comment

Love those Speed3's. Great cars.

Agree on the CTRs. Way too much going on for my tastes.

Golf R will probably run you closer to $45k+, but that's what I would vote on; or an Impreza, but their engines, transmissions and clutches are trash... so there's that.

Don't buy a Hyundai. Just don't. Lol Though I have heard good things about those Kia Stingers.
                      Have you considered an Audi S4 at all. You should be able to get one a couple yrs old in that price range. Smart looker I think... and probably a good drive too.

Comment

I haven't taken an in-depth look at used vehicles as yet. Starting with new vehicles as that seems a simpler place to start, and then expanding scope with used vehicles.

As I expand, comparisons get a bit more challenging, because reviews/expectations change over time. So comparing a new GTI to a 2013 Lexus as an example, simply adds layers of uncertainty etc.

Also, underlying the decision process is the spectre of repairs. Since the primary reason for looking is because of the cost of pending repairs to a car which I've enjoyed owning (and one of the options still on the table is to repair it ), then while buying used allows you to get 'more' car than new, you're also potentially shortening the time before the process repeats itself anew.

Comment

Fair points and some I had to navigate thru the years myself. I will just say that re your last para I somewhat bit the bullet on the used/more car point. I was at the suv stage and I fancied the Infiniti... then I "laboured" over the concerns you pointed to. I decided to go for it based on the notion that a quality make would mitigate the issues with repair costs etc. I have been fortunate so far (knocking on my head)! Insurance costs as well are a factor with certain models.

Good hunting and choosing.

Comment

Still browsing for a new vehicle .. anyone with opinions on BMW's 2 or 4 series (non-M)?

Comment

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                              Still browsing for a new vehicle .. anyone with opinions on BMW's 2 or 4 series (non-M)?
                              That Straight-6 in the 4 Series is one of my favourite sounding engines of all time.
                              Not generally a huge BMW fan, but ya .. those 440's are monsters. I wouldn't get any BMW that's not 6 Cylinder, and I'm pretty sure all of the 2's are in-line 4s ... so go with the 4 series if it's between those two and price is secondary.

Comment

That Straight-6 in the 4 Series is one of my favourite sounding engines of all time.
                                Not generally a huge BMW fan, but ya .. those 440's are monsters. I wouldn't get any BMW that's not 6 Cylinder, and I'm pretty sure all of the 2's are in-line 4s ... so go with the 4 series if it's between those two and price is secondary.
                                I had the 440i gran coupe for 3 months. It's pretty shameful to call it a gran coupe. Just a 3-series HB with a higher price tag. I sold it and went for the Tesla.

Comment

Working...
                                X