Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Right...for the right price.

Thibs would want OG 100% and probably Delon too.
    That's what people said it would take to get Kawhi, and yet...

Comment

• And really, the trade market situation hasn't really changed of us being the team who's willing to make the trades that other teams don't wanna risk. .... Boston, Phi, etc. don't want to because they don't wanna sacrifice their youth. Others don't because they're too far from being able to truly compete, or without enough depth assets.

Our time, on the other hand, is right now. Even more so now that we acquired Kawhi, obviously.

That said. Would once again much prefer to retain OG/Siakam, if possible.

I'd give Serge/Delon/Norm/CJ though. Fook it.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
        It's certainly harder to have leverage on that deal when the market for Kawhi is so risky, and you're already receiving an all-star in his prime, under contract. The Spurs got the best deal on the table, in my opinion.

But I am damn happy it didn't take OG/Siakam to have to get him.

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
        And really, the trade market situation hasn't really changed of us being the team who's willing to make the trades that other teams don't wanna risk. .... Boston, Phi, etc. don't want to because they don't wanna sacrifice their youth. Others don't because they're too far from being able to truly compete, or without enough depth assets.

Our time, on the other hand, is right now. Even more so now that we acquired Kawhi, obviously.

That said. Would once again much prefer to retain OG/Siakam, if possible.

I'd give Serge/Delon/Norm/CJ though. Fook it.
        In this case, it'll probably take a package as big as Ibaka/Delon/Powell/Miles + future 1st rounder to acquire Butler without giving up Lowry/OG/Siakam/JV.

Problem with that is the Raptors lose out on a ton of their depth. While Powell was a no-show last year and Ibaka + Miles inconsistent play, they are still luxuries to have on a roster when they're the 7th/8th/9th guys off the bench.

I'd struggle with losing any of OG/Siakam for Butler. Both are very good defensively, and are developing on the offensive end.

With the big package:

Lowry/VanVleet/Brown
        Butler/Green
        Kawhi/OG
        Siakam
        JV/Monroe

OR

to fill the depth chart:

Lowry/VanVleet
        Butler/Brown
        Kawhi/Green
        Siakam/OG (interchangeable)
        JV/Monroe

OR, could do:
        Ibaka/Miles/OG + 1st rounder for Butler and one of Taj Gibson OR Gorgui Dieng to match salaries:

Lowry/VanVleet/Brown
        Butler/Wright
        Kawhi/Powell
        Siakam or OG/Gibson
        JV/Monroe

I'm just playing Fantasy mode in NBA2K in my head right now, don't mind me if this trade scenario is crazy haha.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I feel like if they are even talking about this trade, it's to shoot for the works this year, but also to speed up the rebuild if the plan doesn't work (stars bounce). In that case I don't think Masai, takes a gamble by massively risking our future.

That's why in my opinion, Siakam, and OG are off the table, and to a lesser extent Delon.

I feel like if a package of Serge, CJ, and Powell plus a second or highly protected first (can we even trade a pick with the spurs one already gone?) would be the best we would offer.

From what we've learned about Masai, is that he doesn't often loose a trade. For the trade to go through, it would have to work for now, and the future. Personally I don't see a trade happening with either of our two young wings, or our young combo guard.

BUT if Minny takes Serge, CJ, Norm, Malachi, etc. for Jimmy Butler I'm IN! Hell if they have to have Delon and are also giving us back Gibson I'm in too.

Lowry, Butler, Kawhi, OG, JV starting lineup with Siakam as a 6 man is straight up scary. The opposing teams would be lucky to score 80 points.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
            I feel like if they are even talking about this trade, it's to shoot for the works this year, but also to speed up the rebuild if the plan doesn't work (stars bounce). In that case I don't think Masai, takes a gamble by massively risking our future.

That's why in my opinion, Siakam, and OG are off the table, and to a lesser extent Delon.

I feel like if a package of Serge, CJ, and Powell plus a second or highly protected first (can we even trade a pick with the spurs one already gone?) would be the best we would offer.

From what we've learned about Masai, is that he doesn't often loose a trade. For the trade to go through, it would have to work for now, and the future. Personally I don't see a trade happening with either of our two young wings, or our young combo guard.

BUT if Minny takes Serge, CJ, Norm, Malachi, etc. for Jimmy Butler I'm IN! Hell if they have to have Delon and are also giving us back Gibson I'm in too.

Lowry, Butler, Kawhi, OG, JV starting lineup with Siakam as a 6 man is straight up scary. The opposing teams would be lucky to score 80 points.
            Masai will definitely wait until the trade deadline so he doesn't give up so much for Jimmy Butler.

A big part of the reason I want Norman Powell to play much better than last season is so that Masai can use him as credible trade bait for Jimmy Butler. Sorry, Norm, but Jimmy is better right now. That guy dragged the Timberwolves to the playoffs!

As for Ibaka, Masai should look at trading him for a more switchy and/or higher IQ big that is currently undervalued right now. For example: Thompson is a great rebounder on both ends, is capable of switching onto the perimeter, and has historically been great at slowing down Horford - he could help fill the role that Poeltl left behind. Other examples: Favors is solid on both ends of the floor and has good basketball IQ, Cody Zeller is a great screener and knows how to play off the ball, WCS is incredibly athletic and can play both PF and C and has shown flashes of being a passer and plus defender on one of the worst teams in the league at developing players.

We are gonna need an athletic backup centre who can switch on defense and rebound. Two things we need from a backup centre, two things that Ibaka isn't great at. And that could make life more difficult for us later on.

Comment

• I feel that unless something is really off/falling apart with the the wolves at the trade deadline, I don't think they're moving Butler. That franchise had a long playoff draught and will want to make the post season again, even knowing it will be a first round exit if they get HOU/GSW right away.

That said, if they feel they're completely out of the race for the 8th seed by the deadline (which is possible in the West), they might want to move him. The market for Butler by then would be even smaller, and the raps by then might be poised to get him.

It's an absolute pipe dream, but if we do get him at the deadline, it will probably increase the chances of re-signing Kawhi and Butler himself, allowing us to build around them going forward. I'm gonna root against the wolves every game this season !

Comment

• DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
                Masai will definitely wait until the trade deadline so he doesn't give up so much for Jimmy Butler.

A big part of the reason I want Norman Powell to play much better than last season is so that Masai can use him as credible trade bait for Jimmy Butler. Sorry, Norm, but Jimmy is better right now. That guy dragged the Timberwolves to the playoffs!

As for Ibaka, Masai should look at trading him for a more switchy and/or higher IQ big that is currently undervalued right now. For example: Thompson is a great rebounder on both ends, is capable of switching onto the perimeter, and has historically been great at slowing down Horford - he could help fill the role that Poeltl left behind. Other examples: Favors is solid on both ends of the floor and has good basketball IQ, Cody Zeller is a great screener and knows how to play off the ball, WCS is incredibly athletic and can play both PF and C and has shown flashes of being a passer and plus defender on one of the worst teams in the league at developing players.

We are gonna need an athletic backup centre who can switch on defense and rebound. Two things we need from a backup centre, two things that Ibaka isn't great at. And that could make life more difficult for us later on.
                I really like the idea of Thompson all of a sudden. But, I doubt Cleveland trades -- for some reason I can't wrap my head around CLE giving him up until seeing him in a bigger role without LBJ.

Thompson would be a fantastic fit with this roster. For those saying that he won't spread the floor as good as Ibaka, Poeltl did just find not shooting the basketball last season, spending most, if not all, his time in the paint. He was also a relief when he was switched on smaller, quicker players in open space -- Thompson is also that type of guy.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• No derozan thread to post in but I guess it really is more to do with Serge. Go check out his latest cooking video. Best yet.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                    Actually I said from jump it was going to be something like DeMar, Wright, Poeltl and a 1st. Ended up not including Wright. A few people started saying we would have to and SHOULD include OG, which I said was a massive overpay.

Comment

• This trade is not the same. We do not stand out in any way, like we did in the Kawhi deal as the only contending team willing to risk giving up an all-star for a rental.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        This trade is not the same. We do not stand out in any way, like we did in the Kawhi deal as the only contending team willing to risk giving up an all-star for a rental.
                        There definitely won’t be any all stars on the table for Jimmy, and it’s not likely that there will be any 1A prospects either. So it comes down to who can give the best combination of second tier prospects and picks IMO. This is all if Jimmy is available. If I’m minny, I’m keeping Jimmy for a while. They’ll be a top 4 seed and maybe he won’t want to leave by the end of the year. Remember, the wolves were at one point almost locked into the 3 seed before Jimmy went down.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          This trade is not the same. We do not stand out in any way, like we did in the Kawhi deal as the only contending team willing to risk giving up an all-star for a rental.
                          Would Jimmy not be a rental as well?
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            It's also not really the same. Butler is great. He's a great player.

But he's not Kawhi. Not even close, really. And he's 29 - any team trading him will be looking to re-sign him to a max deal for his age 30-34 seasons.

So, no, we won't be offering an all-star again. But it's the same question as before - is the market dry enough for our offer to be competitive? In Kawhi's case, it was. May yet be so in Butler's case as well.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Exactly, if no one else was willing to give up a star for Kawhi then no one will do it for Butler either. It will come down to who is willing to give up the best package of what Thibs is looking for knowing Thibs is in no position to negotiate.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                                There definitely won’t be any all stars on the table for Jimmy, and it’s not likely that there will be any 1A prospects either. So it comes down to who can give the best combination of second tier prospects and picks IMO. This is all if Jimmy is available. If I’m minny, I’m keeping Jimmy for a while. They’ll be a top 4 seed and maybe he won’t want to leave by the end of the year. Remember, the wolves were at one point almost locked into the 3 seed before Jimmy went down.
                                That's not the argument I'm making. I'm making the argument that last time we were in the unique position of being able to give the Spurs exactly what they wanted (continuing relevancy through the acquisition of a star in exchange for Kawhi) when no other team could. We are in no such position of strength this time around. Delon Wright and some cap relief for a year isn't going to get it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X