Everything Serge Ibaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I don't know why norm is playing tbh. Is it that hard to do a 9 man rotation, when some guys aren't getting enough minutes as it is?
    As agonizing as it is for me, I'm trying not to react to much of the rotation decision stuff yet. New coach, understandable he wants to feel out a lot of guys in a lot of different roles and lineups.

If we're shoe-horning Norm into a rotation he's not needed in come April, or even late February, that will be concerning. But for now, bringing the minutes load down for everyone and finding minutes for more potential contributors is fine.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      As agonizing as it is for me, I'm trying not to react to much of the rotation decision stuff yet. New coach, understandable he wants to feel out a lot of guys in a lot of different roles and lineups.

If we're shoe-horning Norm into a rotation he's not needed in come April, or even late February, that will be concerning. But for now, bringing the minutes load down for everyone and finding minutes for more potential contributors is fine.
      Im hoping he will continue to get the chance to play his way into some minutes to get his value up before trade deadline. If he can't make anything happen by mid December then just sit him down for good.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I do agree with wmcj that a lot of early things seem just right out of the Dwane Casey playbook. Jv never closing..and the next man up thing..5 starters, 5 bench. Powell is basically just inserted for Wright until he gets back. Then when Kawhi sat sure enough a. Brown moved up the ladder as #10. Its just like last year. In fact I'd bet if Casey was still here hed also be trying the Ibaka as the heavier minute center by now too...
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I do agree with wmcj that a lot of early things seem just right out of the Dwane Casey playbook. Jv never closing..and the next man up thing..5 starters, 5 bench. Powell is basically just inserted for Wright until he gets back. Then when Kawhi sat sure enough a. Brown moved up the ladder as #10. Its just like last year. In fact I'd bet if Casey was still here hed also be trying the Ibaka as the heavier minute center by now too...
          It's been 3 games. One key piece is out (Wright), they've rested Leonard once, the frontcourt rotation is unsettled entirely, and a few of the role players are struggling early. They've also had no practice time and everyone is still learning how to play with Green and Leonard. Let it breathe for a bit.

The comparisons to Casey are parochial. Look, every team in the league is running out big rotations and unusual lineups early and often. This happens every season. Trying to draw conclusions from the first 10-15 games of an NBA season is a mug's game.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            It's been 3 games. One key piece is out (Wright), they've rested Leonard once, the frontcourt rotation is unsettled entirely, and a few of the role players are struggling early. They've also had no practice time and everyone is still learning how to play with Green and Leonard. Let it breathe for a bit.

The comparisons to Casey are parochial. Look, every team in the league is running out big rotations and unusual lineups early and often. This happens every season. Trying to draw conclusions from the first 10-15 games of an NBA season is a mug's game.
            I just said it's something to keep an eye on, and acknowledged it's too early to really worry.

Still, not the most encouraging sign. To me, playing Brown is actually the biggest headscratcher. Just because it's always a headscratcher. We're down a guard but still really deep on the perimeter. Would rather try just about anything over having Brown out there. Heck, give Malachi a shot at some wing minutes even, so at least a different end of bencher can frustrate us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Doing a great job as starting center so far.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                Doing a great job as starting center so far.
                True! It's been going very well. No big C's yet, but the lineup is working against the mid-sized C, which is a testament to the rebounding Leonard has brought to that look, but also to Serge bringing a lot more effort setting screens and being active on both ends.

The concerns I had are still cropping up (the starters with JV have been even better, the bench with JV hasn't worked yet), but Wright coming back could fix some of that, hopefully, and we'd have two fully functional rotation options depending on matchups, which would be great heading into the playoffs.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• There is a video of nurse post game on the main page and amongst other things he says part of playing Ibaka at the 5 is to free up minutes for Siakam and OG at the 4.

Playing JV and Ibaka together with Kawhi at the 3 would really limit minutes for other productive pieces.

Comment

• Seeing the return of Danny Green should be a revelation for fans. How many people couldn't understand why he was starting at the beginning of the season? If it was Casey running the rotations I would see intransigent stubbornness in sticking with a predetermined plan. With Nurse I see a coach intent on salvaging useful players and rehabilitating their games. For me, Nurse has until January to get his rotations sorted out and to get a feel for different lineups. New coach honeymoon period.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                      There is a video of nurse post game on the main page and amongst other things he says part of playing Ibaka at the 5 is to free up minutes for Siakam and OG at the 4.

Playing JV and Ibaka together with Kawhi at the 3 would really limit minutes for other productive pieces.
                      Right after the trade that was the main reason I thought we'd see Ibaka at C more. Not so much because he's a better fit then JV there (although he's shown he certainly can be, depending on the situation), but because of the abundance of good players that can play 2 through 4.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                        There is a video of nurse post game on the main page and amongst other things he says part of playing Ibaka at the 5 is to free up minutes for Siakam and OG at the 4.

Not really. It would just be for like 10-12 minutes max per game. The pieces that would cut out right now would be one of Powell or Miles, who have been the closest things to negatives right now. And it wouldn't have to happen every night, but still makes sense to me against the few teams like Minny, Detroit, or even the Cavs look we saw the other night.

Comment

• JV and Ibaka should not be playing together. Ibaka is not good at PF.

EDIT: I'd much rather OG and Siakam get those PF minutes. Right now we have Kawhi basically eating up 35 minutes a game at the 3 spot. He basically never plays the 2 because we either have Green there or run our two guard system (either Powell, Wright or Lowry/FVV at the 2). That leaves very few minutes at the 3 spot (and Miles plays as well).

So giving Ibaka 10mpg at the 4 means either he has to play a ton of minutes at the 4 and 5 or you jack up JV's minutes. And in both cases either OG or Siakam is going to play less. Terrible idea.
                          Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Tue Oct 23, 2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Just read the article by Louis Zatzman on the front page. It looks like Ibaka is doing better at C than even I thought. Difficult to say how long he can keep this up because I'm accustomed to him being inconsistent, but looks like he's here to stay. Some really good stuff in the article. I particularly liked what he had to say about Green, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite Raptors.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Just read the article by Louis Zatzman on the front page. It looks like Ibaka is doing better at C than even I thought. Difficult to say how long he can keep this up because I'm accustomed to him being inconsistent, but looks like he's here to stay. Some really good stuff in the article. I particularly liked what he had to say about Green, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite Raptors.
                              He also, you know, hasn't had to actually play against a real C yet, unless you count Cody Zeller.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                                JV and Ibaka should not be playing together. Ibaka is not good at PF.

EDIT: I'd much rather OG and Siakam get those PF minutes. Right now we have Kawhi basically eating up 35 minutes a game at the 3 spot. He basically never plays the 2 because we either have Green there or run our two guard system (either Powell, Wright or Lowry/FVV at the 2). That leaves very few minutes at the 3 spot (and Miles plays as well).

So giving Ibaka 10mpg at the 4 means either he has to play a ton of minutes at the 4 and 5 or you jack up JV's minutes. And in both cases either OG or Siakam is going to play less. Terrible idea.
                                Why would it impact OG at all? Just give him Powell's shooting guard minutes. No problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X