Everything Serge Ibaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atothe wrote: View Post
    So keep this expensive core to not make to the finals. Interesting tactic.
    Then why not just not resign Ibaka and Lowry, and try to build something new? They would of course take a huge step back in 17-18, but I do think they could manage to be in the playoffs and not be 7th or 8th.

Some sort of a quick rebuild, keeping DeRozan and look at different options. I mean, if they don't think Lowry and Ibaka are keys to their success, I don't see why they should definitely keep them.
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Fri May 26, 2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
      Then why not just not resign Ibaka and Lowry, and try to build something new? They would of course take a huge step back in 17-18, but I do think they could manage to be in the playoffs and not be 7th or 8th.

Some sort of a quick rebuild, keeping DeRozan and look at different options. I mean, if they don't think Lowry and Ibaka are keys to their success, I don't see why they should definitely keep them.
      I wouldn't be against this but I think it leads you to be not bad enough to get any really good lottery picks. It also puts you as not good enough to attract good free agents. If you do this you would have to clear up all your space. Sit and wait. It would be tough though.

Comment

• Count me in the camp of being completely against resigning Ibaka. I would like to see norm take reps as a point guard if Lowry isn't resigned

Comment

Count me in the camp of being completely against resigning Ibaka. I would like to see norm take reps as a point guard if Lowry isn't resigned
          While I think he could initiate an offense for the odd possession, I don't think he has ever shown that he could handle the full time responsibility of playing point guard in a line-up. I would love to see him get 18-22 minutes a night, every night, though. I think he has earned that.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Count me in the camp of being completely against resigning Ibaka. I would like to see norm take reps as a point guard if Lowry isn't resigned
            I would also like to see this. I think Norman is the kind of guy that would totally respond to the call. If you tell him right now that you want him to be a point guard next season, he'll do whatever he can to come at camp ready for it.

Comment

How many games would this hypothetical no Lowry/Ibaka team win?
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Lots of regular season games. Not enough playoff games.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                  While I think he could initiate an offense for the odd possession, I don't think he has ever shown that he could handle the full time responsibility of playing point guard in a line-up. I would love to see him get 18-22 minutes a night, every night, though. I think he has earned that.
                  Powell's handle is pretty weak, actually.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post

It's been said a number of times already, but it's a matter of asset management. Resigning Lowry and Ibaka should be priority number 1. Even if they do take a step back, and even if we do decide that this core needs to be broken up, the Lowry/Derozan/Ibaka assets are all valuable and there will be plenty of teams interested.

If you choose not to resign them and instead use the cap space to try and lure in some free agents I'm positive you will wind up with less of an asset. For starters, you'll be working with less cap space because with our current core we have the benefit of bird rights. But you'll also be looking at overpaying mid-tier players to come to a team that didn't even attempt to re-sign two of their top three players.

Overpaid free agents cripple teams (see Hedo and Demarre for recent examples), but resigned all-stars are proven assets.

Comment

• I am good with both Lowry & Ibaka...more with Ibaka who will be cheaper and the need. Lowry may have more options in the West as well. There are reports that the Spurs may take a run at Chris Paul. Whether this happens or not both the Clippers or Spurs may be in play for Lowry...if for nothing else just leverage (higher salary).

Just a thought...would Weltman/Orlando try to sign Lowry?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Just a thought...would Weltman/Orlando try to sign Lowry?
                        He ain't T-mac.
                        They can try all they like, no way he'd sign there.

Comment

• psrs1;754758 [B wrote:
                          ]Lots of regular season games[/B]. Not enough playoff games.
                          If 35-40 is "lots of regular season games", I'll agree.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• This is kinda weird/funny/interesting.
                            Last edited by mike, prague; Tue Jun 13, 2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              Probably not enough for more than a low playoff seed - maybe less.

But I would say the same thing about losing Lowry without consideration of Ibaka. The team was terrific in 2015-16 without Ibaka or Tucker. And much better the first third of this season, before Lowry and Patterson were injured, than the last third of this season.

The Raptor's dramatic improvement in recent seasons has been due to Lowry and the bench (Patterson, Nogueira, TRoss, James Johnson, Biyombo...) Most of that superb bench is gone/going. Subtract Lowry and you are back to square one.

If you are hoping to build a contender, Ibaka is expensive and irrelevant. Just ask Orlando.
                              Last edited by BrieflySpeaking; Tue Jun 13, 2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• BrieflySpeaking wrote: View Post
                                If you are hoping to build a contender, Ibaka is expensive and irrelevant. Just ask Orlando.
                                Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, is that what Orlando was doing?

Rob Hennigan = genius.

Comment

Working...
                                X