No announcement yet.

Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd swap Carroll and the Magic 2nd for Faried. Makes sense for both teams. Denver replaces Gallinari with a 3+D SF and for us we fill our gaping hole at PF. Both guys have similar contracts anyway.

Then I'd look at SF options with the MLE: CJ Miles, Mbah a Moute, Sefolosha, Hollis Thompson. Or try to get Jared Dudley from Phoenix.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      I'd swap Carroll and the Magic 2nd for Faried. Makes sense for both teams. Denver replaces Gallinari with a 3+D SF and for us we fill our gaping hole at PF. Both guys have similar contracts anyway.

Then I'd look at SF options with the MLE: CJ Miles, Mbah a Moute, Sefolosha, Hollis Thompson. Or try to get Jared Dudley from Phoenix.
      We don't have a hole at PF unless we move JV. With JV and Ibaka here, a lot of frontcourt minutes get eaten up, with the excess going to Poeltl, Siakam and small ball SFs. Once Ibaka moves to C full time (yuck), then we'll need a PF to plug a hole. In which case, I presume we'll need that ORL 2nd to help dump JV's deal somewhere and unlock the full MLE to chase a guy like Miles.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        We don't have a hole at PF unless we move JV. With JV and Ibaka here, a lot of frontcourt minutes get eaten up, with the excess going to Poeltl, Siakam and small ball SFs. Once Ibaka moves to C full time (yuck), then we'll need a PF to plug a hole. In which case, I presume we'll need that ORL 2nd to help dump JV's deal somewhere and unlock the full MLE to chase a guy like Miles.
        The reports when Ibaka was signed said he wants to play C and the team wants him to play there. You can say "yuck" if you want, but defensively he works better at the center spot. He's got the speed to guard centers or big 4s in pick and roll and the size and ability to protect the rim effectively as well. Playing Ibaka at the 4 is actually a problem on the defensive end because he's often going to be guarding small-ball 4s (read, SFs who are playing PF) who are going to have a huge speed advantage on him and pull him out of the paint, where we need him to be.

Faried can do the only necessary thing that JV provides, which is his rebounding. And we have the added advantage of Faried actually being able to cover big 3s/4s and not get abused in the pick and roll as much as Valanciunas does.

I'd rather move Ibaka to starting center, he wouldn't play there all game since we have Poeltl, but he would play most of his minutes there, which is what makes sense. Gives Poeltl, who we spent a #9 pick on a chance to actually play with JV gone. Then we can either try to swap JV for a small forward or move him to a team that has cap space.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
          The reports when Ibaka was signed said he wants to play C and the team wants him to play there. You can say "yuck" if you want, but defensively he works better at the center spot. He's got the speed to guard centers or big 4s in pick and roll and the size and ability to protect the rim effectively as well. Playing Ibaka at the 4 is actually a problem on the defensive end because he's often going to be guarding small-ball 4s (read, SFs who are playing PF) who are going to have a huge speed advantage on him and pull him out of the paint, where we need him to be.

Faried can do the only necessary thing that JV provides, which is his rebounding. And we have the added advantage of Faried actually being able to cover big 3s/4s and not get abused in the pick and roll as much as Valanciunas does.

I'd rather move Ibaka to starting center, he wouldn't play there all game since we have Poeltl, but he would play most of his minutes there, which is what makes sense. Gives Poeltl, who we spent a #9 pick on a chance to actually play with JV gone. Then we can either try to swap JV for a small forward or move him to a team that has cap space.
          He doesn't want to give up on JV even though it seems like the team has. The writting is on the wall. Presser today should be interesting. I hope the reporters as Ibaka what position he sees himself playing.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Yeah, so exactly what I was saying. You only need a PF if you move JV to give Ibaka the majority of the C minutes.

Defensively Ibaka has proven to work better at the C spot a) against bench units and b) playing with a tremendous rebounder in Tucker at the forward spot. Tucker is gone, and we want Ibaka to start at C, in theory.

Faried can do the rebounding JV can do? Faried has never broken 20% TRB% or 24% DRB%. JV posted 21% and 29% last year. Nevermind all the other stuff he can't do that would fit terribly here, such as shoot outside of 10 feet (takes less than 10% of his shots from out there, versus JV's 30%), or defend worth a damn even compared to JV.

If we do move on from JV, I pray we don't grab a guy like Faried, who is just a worse version of JV with even more exaggerated weaknesses and fewer strengths, and is almost as expensive.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• They are going ape in NY re the Hardaway offer...

Comment

• Avery Bradley going to Detroit. Lowry is going to eat up the Celtics this year.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Avery Bradley going to Detroit. Love it.

I know they got Gordon but Celtics gonna miss Bradley

Comment

• I feel like the celts are really gonna miss Avery Bradley. He was the key to their defence and he was a solid shooter and scorer for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Not saying I want faried but his trb% was 19.7 and JV was 20.8 last yr. That's pretty good for a guy half a foot shorter and 40lbs lighter. Dont really see how pj is a "tremendous rebounder" at pf and faried is not?
                      We should also consider that Denver had a logjam with nurkic/jokic and small ball with Gallo. Faried was amazing for team USA so his value might be depressed. Again, I don't want him but I'd take him ahead of Carroll for sure. Ahead of JV? It's kind of a wash but faried my have more upside and almost definitely more currency in the league.

Comment

• Bradley for who? KCP?

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                          Bradley for who? KCP?
                          Apparently Marcus Morris

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                            Bradley for who? KCP?
                            Should the Wizards match the offer sheet for Otto Porter, I would then expect the Nets to make a similar offer sheet to KCP.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                              Apparently Marcus Morris
                              That's not as bad a trade for the Celts as it could have been, especially considering Bradley is gonna get paid. Not sure what Detroit is thinking?

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                                Not saying I want faried but his trb% was 19.7 and JV was 20.8 last yr. That's pretty good for a guy half a foot shorter and 40lbs lighter. Dont really see how pj is a "tremendous rebounder" at pf and faried is not?
                                We should also consider that Denver had a logjam with nurkic/jokic and small ball with Gallo. Faried was amazing for team USA so his value might be depressed. Again, I don't want him but I'd take him ahead of Carroll for sure. Ahead of JV? It's kind of a wash but faried my have more upside and almost definitely more currency in the league.
                                I didn't say Faried wasn't a tremendous rebounder at PF - I just said he's not capable of replicating what JV (another tremendous rebounder) did at C, which is needed with Ibaka, a lesser rebounder, playing at C. While also not bringing any of the other strengths that helped JV contribute to the team, essentially outstripping him only in offensive rebounding rate (another potentially negative factor as it speaks to how much time he spends in the paint clogging up spacing) and raw foot speed, however useless he is at leveraging that into defensive effectiveness.

I think if DEN wants to move Faried, they'll have the same issues the Raps are likely having with JV. He doesn't fit the shooting and defence the league (and frankly especially the Raptors) wants now - even less so than JV does. And at a very similar cost. And without any of the upside that comes with JV's relative youth.

I can agree that I'd prefer him over Carroll, but I don't see a need at PF if Carroll is the one moved, so...
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X