Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Did anyone on the team ever say we were going to try playing up and down? Seemed clear to me that Masai was calling for more movement/passing in the half court, not change of tempo.
    Both Masai/Casey said it during a summer league game interview.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Masai and Casey say lots of stuff that never comes to be. Case in point, increasing JV's role in the offence, a talking point from them every off-season since he was drafted.

There won't be some dramatic style change. Heck, DeRozan might be a worse fit for up and down play than JV, with his transition defence and preference to feel out a defence and probe for weak points, and his complete lack of passing vision on the break.

This team will play roughly the same as last year, with something like a 10% change in any direction.
      Most important part about playing faster is changing ends quickly. Don't act like Deebo's vision and play making hasn't been getting better year by year.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Most important part about playing faster is changing ends quickly. Don't act like Deebo's vision and play making hasn't been getting better year by year.

Did I say anything about his vision and playmaking not getting better year by year? Overall it has. I have seen zero improvement in his tunnel vision on the break. Never mind his continued issues getting back in transition.

I would certainly not like the idea of trying to run with this team. The team has always been at their best when slowing the game down, and falter when they try to match other teams' pace.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Did I say anything about his vision and playmaking not getting better year by year? Overall it has. I have seen zero improvement in his tunnel vision on the break. Never mind his continued issues getting back in transition.

I would certainly not like the idea of trying to run with this team. The team has always been at their best when slowing the game down, and falter when they try to match other teams' pace.
          Team is full of players that strive in transition. Not everybody can be Lonzo Ball. Guards should try to get to hoop in transition and kick out to shooters if the D collapse.

Agree to disagre I guess
          Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon Jul 17, 2017, 11:21 AM.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Masai and Casey say lots of stuff that never comes to be. Case in point, increasing JV's role in the offence, a talking point from them every off-season since he was drafted.

There won't be some dramatic style change. Heck, DeRozan might be a worse fit for up and down play than JV, with his transition defence and preference to feel out a defence and probe for weak points, and his complete lack of passing vision on the break.

This team will play roughly the same as last year, with something like a 10% change in any direction.
            Unfortunately you're not wrong. When push comes to shove our opponents will take away DD and KL and we won't have a viable plan to overcome .

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
              Unfortunately you're not wrong. When push comes to shove our opponents will take away DD and KL and we won't have a viable plan to overcome .
              Powell starting as a release valve with offensive options in JV and Ibaka in the frontcourt does a lot to alleviate that mess.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Powell starting as a release valve with offensive options in JV and Ibaka in the frontcourt does a lot to alleviate that mess.
                How would you rate Powell's vision in comparison to Demar's? Does he seem like a more willing passer on the break or does he suffer from the same sort of tunnel vision in your opinion? With all that fire power in the starting line up I wonder if one of our more successful line up's next season would be one with Delon in with the starters. We need guys that play with their heads up and can make a pass and find the open man when Lowry/Demar are locked down. I know, everyone hates the guard heavy line up's, but yeah...

Comment

• Problem with JV/Ibaka is that their bad passers. Ibaka will just get the pass and shot. JV incapable of making plays out the short role. That's why I would rather one Poeltl/Siakam out there. They seem to have a better feel for the game than both of those guys. It's hard to have a ball movement offence when bigs are poor passers/playmakers.

We saw this against the Buck when they were aggressively trapping. Raptors only started getting good shots when they went small.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon Jul 17, 2017, 12:17 PM.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Both Masai/Casey said it during a summer league game interview.

Bah. We all know nothing that happens during summer league matters
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Problem with JV/Ibaka is that their bad passers. Ibaka will just get the pass and shot. JV incapable of making plays out the short role. That's why I would rather one Poeltl/Siakam out there. They seem to have a better feel for the game than both of those guys. It's hard to have a ball movement offence when bigs are poor passers/playmakers.

We saw this against the Buck when they were aggressively trapping. Raptors only started getting good shots when they went small.

Perhaps eventually, but Poeltl/Siakam are still raw imo. With a depleted bench our starting unit has to be lights out now. Can't afford the slow starts we had last year starting a rookie in Pascal.

Comment

• Don't forget JV and Ibaka both played with players that dominated the ball. It's not like JV or Ibaka had a high rate of FG attempts.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          Perhaps eventually, but Poeltl/Siakam are still raw imo. With a depleted bench our starting unit has to be lights out now. Can't afford the slow starts we had last year starting a rookie in Pascal.
                          We've had slow starts for years. Not just last year. Also I dont think it got that much better when Ibaka got here either.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• So what now, can't we acquire another wing FA

Comment

• We've also had stronger benches in the past than what it looks like we will have this season. We have to fix the slow start issue this season.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                Idk why everyone's freaking out over losing some ROLE PLAYERS. Tucker and cojo were arguably the only ones that have proven they can be relied upon (most nights anyway). Patterson and Carroll were too concerned with movies and clothing respectively to give a fuck. All of these guys can be replaced and that can be done internally by developing the young talent, OG is gonna be better than Tucker hands down I guarantee that.
                                Yep. The bigger issue, which Masai pointed out at the presser, was that it doesn't matter what role players he brings in, if Casey can't develop a system or style of play to use them effectively. I mean, Ibaka was unanimously agreed upon to be the absolute perfect fit for this roster for the playoffs. He was the highest of high-end role players we could dream of for this roster on both ends and........ welp.

Comment

Working...
                                X