Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Chris Paul any better than Kyle Lowry?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Chris Paul any better than Kyle Lowry?!

So I was just watching the end of the Clippers Jazz game and I saw Paul make this shot

Then I thought huh, is Chris Paul any better than Kyle Lowry? I don't really watch many teams other than the Raptors, so does anyone know? I mean he's short and a good playmaker and can make threes or something.

But I was just wondering 'cause I mean it's clear I think that Westbrook is just like Kyle Lowry but a lot better, but how about Chris Paul?

Yes. Far better offensive "quarterback" (ie traditional point guard who orchestrates an offense). Not as strong, but craftier and arguably better on D.

I love Kyle Lowry, but Chris Paul at his best is better than Kyle Lowry at his best, and he has sustained his prime for a much longer time than Lowry.

I'd argue Lowry has only 4 seasons playing at a star level, and only 2 at a "superstar" level. Chris Paul was at a star level during his rookie season, and has been a consistent superstar for 10 years now, at one point the undisputed best PG in the league.

Comment

NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
      So I was just watching the end of the Clippers Jazz game and I saw Paul make this shot

Then I thought huh, is Chris Paul any better than Kyle Lowry? I don't really watch many teams other than the Raptors, so does anyone know? I mean he's short and a good playmaker and can make threes or something.

But I was just wondering 'cause I mean it's clear I think that Westbrook is just like Kyle Lowry but a lot better, but how about Chris Paul?
      I will say something that is possibly controversial.

I think Chris Paul is better than Lowry yes. That said he is the same age!!! and is more injury prone the past few years. He literally just through up a huge triple double this playoffs. The guy doesn't ever shy away from pressure. Chris Paul is a hall of fame level player. He gambles less than Kyle. Now, with that being said, are there things that Kyle does better than Chris Paul? Yes, Kyle is a better overall shooter. Chris Paul is one of the best playmakers if not a top 5 playmaker in the entire NBA. He also is taller than Kyle, which helps on defence. I mean your talking about someone who was a 7 time all nba performer.4 time all defence 4x assist leader and 6x steals leader.

So I just pulled up the stats and its actually a lot closer than you think. Kyle is a better scorer. Lowry has a PER of 22.92. Paul's PER is 26.23.

Comment

Chefff wrote: View Post
        Yes. Far better offensive "quarterback" (ie traditional point guard who orchestrates an offense). Not as strong, but craftier and arguably better on D.

I love Kyle Lowry, but Chris Paul at his best is better than Kyle Lowry at his best, and he has sustained his prime for a much longer time than Lowry.

I'd argue Lowry has only 4 seasons playing at a star level, and only 2 at a "superstar" level. Chris Paul was at a star level during his rookie season, and has been a consistent superstar for 10 years now, at one point the undisputed best PG in the league.
        Hmm right right, interesting. So Chris Paul might be more of a Steve Nash like player then? I guess I have heard stuff like that about him. Okay, so I can accept he's played at a higher level but in that case - but correct me if I'm wrong, why hasn't he been able to even get to the conference finals on the Clippers?

I mean with him and Blake Griffin, as well as DeAndre, how does that work? I understand the east is quite a strong conference, but it's been SEVEN YEARS IN A ROW (just looked it up) and apparently no conference finals??

Also: would he work in our system at all (better than Lowry), and would we have to/could we change it to fit him? (he's a free agent this offseason!!)

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
          I will say something that is possibly controversial.

I think Chris Paul is better than Lowry yes. That said he is the same age!!! and is more injury prone the past few years. He literally just through up a huge triple double this playoffs. The guy doesn't ever shy away from pressure. Chris Paul is a hall of fame level player...Chris Paul is one of the best playmakers if not a top 5 playmaker in the entire NBA. He also is taller than Kyle, which helps on defence. I mean your talking about someone who was a 7 time all nba performer.4 time all defence 4x assist leader and 6x steals leader.
          Hmm alright, so it sounds like he's definitely had a stronger career overall than Kyle, and is still stronger than Lowry in terms of playmaking etc. But how about now? I mean, they're both getting old-ish (for nba players), and as far as I remember it does seem like Chris Paul is becoming kinda injury prone - but so is Lowry!

So really, who would be the best bet over the next few years for a franchise? (i.e. Toronto) I mean either would be a risk because of their age, but which would be a better bet (if you could choose between the two)

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
          So I just pulled up the stats and its actually a lot closer than you think. Kyle is a better scorer. Lowry has a PER of 22.92. Paul's PER is 26.23.
          Sidenote, can you explain how accurate PER is? I understand it's player efficiency and supposed to combine all stats or something, but does it do that successfully? I just know from experience with baseball stats at least, that they don't always tell the full story.

Comment

Yes he'd fit in our system. He'd fit in any system, with his exceptional skill and bball IQ. But the cap situation this summer is such that it's not even worth thinking about as a raps fan. Read the thread on Raps financial situation if you want to learn why.

As to his lack of playoff success: It's... complicated. Yes it looks damning on his record, and some would say it tarnishes his legacy, but I think it's a combination of overrated rosters (Beyond Blake and DJ, he's played on some poor teams. Doc has not been a good GM), poor coaching (Vinny Del NEgro, and I think Doc Rivers is overrated as a coach as well), the fact that he's played his entire career in a highly competitive western conference, and bad luck (injuries, matchups, and other small factors that can decide close playoff series). I don't think it tarnishes his legacy as much as others do. Plus, he's only 31 and looks to have a few elite and several more high-level seasons still ahead of him (barring serious injury).

Also check him at #6 on this list, fwiw:
            http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page...nt-guards-ever
            Last edited by Chefff; Wed Apr 26, 2017, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Yes he'd fit in our system. He'd fit in any system, with his exceptional skill and bball IQ. But the cap situation this summer is such that it's not even worth thinking about as a raps fan. Read the thread on Raps financial situation if you want to learn why.
              Hmm rough. What about a sign and trade with Lowry, maybe with Demarre Carroll as well? One can dream I guess.

As to his lack of playoff success: It's... complicated...poor coaching (Vinny Del Negro, and I think Doc Rivers is overrated), the fact that he's played his entire career in the western conference, and bad luck (injuries, matchups, and other small factors that can decide close playoff series).
              Hmm okay, I can see how that might have occurred. Like I said, I don't really watch the Clippers, and haven't followed him much at all, but it does sound like he's been pretty good - thanks for the info!

Maybe the fact that teams he's been on have been to the playoffs seven years in a row (and often beyond the first round) is the thing to look to instead - San Antonio is always there, and OKC before/Golden State now's always going to be quite tough. And that all time list isn't everything, but it definitely says something if that many ex-nba stars think he deserves to be that high up there. Be interesting to see if Westbrook would change it at all now?

Completely different note though, I don't want to start a whole separate thread for this - but what is the deal with Doc Rivers/Austin Rivers? I did hear some stuff about them not being at all close, but does anyone else find the combo weird? I was just wondering if Austin Rivers is really that good (again don't know much about the Clips), and if it seems like the whole father/son thing has affected things at all?

Comment

Chris Paul is probably the best playmaking PG in the league, and in the conversation for the best PG in the league, period. So... yes, he's better than Lowry.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The answer is Yes.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Chris Paul is the LeBron James of point guards. That is, if you put him on any team (with any coach, and any combination of players), he drastically improves the team.

Lowry, seems to need a system (and surrounding players) that best suits his skills, in order to play at his best.

Comment

Chris Paul is the epitome of a point guard, he's a superior playmaker who can score when needed and defends, all at elite consistency. I guess it's the luck of the draw when it comes to his playoff success, but there's no doubting when he was in his prime he was the best point guard in the league, he still is the best point guard in the league in my opinion.

Comment

My rankings are as such

Curry
                        Harden
                        Westbrook
                        Paul

Wall
                        Lowry
                        Conley
                        Lillard
                        Irving
                        Thomas

Mike conley is severely underrated
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Paul is really the easy answer here. I love Lowry but Paul is just better.

Comment

Love Kyle to death and what he means and has done for the Raptors, but Kyle and Chris aren't in the same conversation. Chris Paul is hands down a better player in every statistical capacity. Chris in his prime would destroy Kyle in his prime, and Chris has had more years playing at a higher level than Kyle.

Comment

Good piece on what makes CP so good as a pg...

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/11/ch...s-nba-playoffs

Comment

Working...
                              X