Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmie wrote: View Post
    Tell that to a basketball coach. I’m all for letting him try to get his mojo back via extended minutes over the final couple of weeks, but if he doesn’t, the 3 position is the biggest concern for this team in the playoffs. It was a question pre season, it was quelled somewhat with OG’s unrxpectedly good play in the early season, and it’s a question again now given his recent struggles.

Aside: If a late season benching due to poor performance is enough to kill OG’s confidence, he’s not what we all think he is.
    This is what I’m saying though. His recent struggles are way overblown. The team is still having success with him out there. There’s no actual reason to replace him in the lineup. Heck, remember early in the season when the starters were struggling (even after OG got the nod) and some people wanted to remove JV from the starting lineup? I argued at the time it would be a bad idea, not because the starting unit was doing well, but because we didn’t really have a better option. As it turned out, they worked through it and turned out great. But the original point stood - other looks were simply worse.

The same is true for OG - going with Norm would undeniably be worse. Miles can’t start, he’s a terrible defender. Starting FVV makes you too small to start and screws with your bench rotation. Same for Wright - he’s a more capable defender but is still really small to defend wings. Starting Pascal not only hurts your starters’ spacing and breaks up your bench unit, but also puts your only two PF’s playing beside each other which really makes rotations hard. Then you are left with, what, Miller? I like Miller, but I want no part of a) trusting him in the playoffs nor b) him defending big wings. So even if the team was struggling with OG in the starting lineup, I don’t see an obvious answer to that hypothetical problem.

And that’s ignores the biggest thing here - the team is NOT struggling with him out there, in spite of his shooting hesitancy and defensive miscues of late. They are having nearly as much success as a starting unit as they were earlier in the year, and this in a crunched schedule that’s left Ibaka a shell of his former self.

So, there’s no good change to make, no reason to make a change, and all the upside in the world to just riding it out and seeing if he can turn it around, exactly the choice they made early in the season (which paid off in spades).

As for the confidence - young players are young. You can’t expect hardened veteranship from OG just yet. Even a guy like Norm who seemed to break the confidence mold over the past two seasons has proven vulnerable. And it’s not benching him that would be the issue. It’s benching him for worse options, which is all we have.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• OG needs to work on his game this summer. Looking like a slightly better 2pat out there.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• He’ll be fine, if not let him play the first 6-7 minutes of the first and 2nd half and rely on the rockstar bench thereafter.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          OG will be fine so long as we don't undermine his confidence late in the season by being ridiculous and benching him rather than letting him play himself back into fighting shape.

We should draw basically no conclusions from this brutal stretch of the schedule. Let alone rotation-changing ones.
          Honestly, I don't think pulling him from the starting lineup would have any effect on him. (Not that I'm advocating for that.) It doesn't seem like much gets to the dude.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Honestly, I don't think pulling him from the starting lineup would have any effect on him. (Not that I'm advocating for that.) It doesn't seem like much gets to the dude.
            This is fair. He might be fine either way. I'm confident though that he'll be fine if we leave him where he is. And even more confident the team will be worse off if we don't, even if OG remains fine.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Like a facehugger in Aliens. Just won't let go!

Comment

• Everything OG Anunoby

OG is going to be a future star

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                  OG is a star

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Fixed it.

For real, the Raptors still have good room for improvement next year. Guys like OG, Delon, Siakam, and Poeltl all have the potential to contribute much more than they already are. Bebe will be gone this summer and a guy like Norm better pull up his socks, there may not be so many minutes available for the 10-12 spots in the near future.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Fixed it.

For real, the Raptors still have good room for improvement next year. Guys like OG, Delon, Siakam, and Poeltl all have the potential to contribute much more than they already are. Bebe will be gone this summer and a guy like Norm better pull up his socks, there may not be so many minutes available for the 10-12 spots in the near future.
                    Hoping a long playoff run expedites their learning curves.
                    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Apr 19, 2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Fixed it.

This is a good point. That improvement is exciting to look forward to and necessary to maintain our position at the top of the ECF. Boston has the same thing going for them with an even younger core of higher draft picks. Plus they have Kyrie and Hayward coming back at some point. I'm sure there are a lot of teams which will follow the trend of drafting long, agile players that can guard multiple positions, and include more ball movement in their offence.

Comment

• Saw this on reddit lmao

Comment

• Shorts too long, clearly fake.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Great read on OG v Lebron from ESPN today

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...s-lebron-james

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              Great read on OG v Lebron from ESPN today

Thanks for sharing!

OG averaged only 21 mpg against Washington. I hope Casey gives him some more time in this series against Cleveland. An additional 5 or 6 minutes a game (maybe even in the 4th) would do wonders.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                Great read on OG v Lebron from ESPN today

If OG can prevent blow bys and force LeBron to shoot then it's a huge boost for us. Just have to make sure OG doesn't get in foul trouble, because after him and Pascal we have no great options.

Comment

Working...
                                X