No announcement yet.

Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a list of his assists if you want to peruse the highlights/boxscores. The CHA/Carroll one is in there.

http://stats.nba.com/events/#!/?flag...=team&sct=plot
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Really think he'd be a better fit at center with the starting 5 than JV. Better defensively, better passer. The bench could use JV's offense more.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        Really think he'd be a better fit at center with the starting 5 than JV. Better defensively, better passer. The bench could use JV's offense more.
        I kind of tend to agree, Poeltl gets the first 6 minutes of each half and spot minutes later, makes it easier to keep it to MOSTLY a 3 man rotation in the front court with some small ball (though you know that Siakam will find his way in)...especially because I'd rather have Powell start, making JV's bench offense even more important. I suspect our bench is going to have some games with serious growing pains this season. Need a veteran to go to for buckets.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Call me crazy but offensively he's like a young Marc Gasol. I'm very excited for him

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            I kind of tend to agree, Poeltl gets the first 6 minutes of each half and spot minutes later, makes it easier to keep it to MOSTLY a 3 man rotation in the front court with some small ball (though you know that Siakam will find his way in)...especially because I'd rather have Powell start, making JV's bench offense even more important. I suspect our bench is going to have some games with serious growing pains this season. Need a veteran to go to for buckets.
            Exactly. And I think it'd be a lot better for Wright/Powell's development if they're running P&R with JV off the bench, who is already experienced in it and a very good finisher.

Comment

I'd like to see Poeltl getting minutes with the team's best players, but I don't put much stock into who actually starts the games. Golden State has helped establish a pretty common practice where your starting 5 is not necessarily your best 5 and is usually not your closing 5.

A lot of teams start their biggest C, JV is still going to match up to those guys better than a young Poeltl. Like the Raptors, a lot of teams go away from that guy as the game goes on, and other forwards are likely to end up with more minutes at the 5 than JV in a given game anyway, but that's more likely to be Ibaka than Poeltl at this point. Poeltl just needs more minutes and a bigger role than last year, but he's young and needs to get in-game reps. He's just coming off his rookie season, there's lots of time.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I'm interested in the perception that Poeltl is a significantly better passer than JV.

Like, it's basically impossible for a big man to get assists in this system anyway, but consider this:

JV: 19.5 USG%, 4.4 AST%, 4.4 USG/AST
                JP: 12.1 USG%, 2.7 AST%, 4.5 USG/AST

Just something I stumbled on looking at Poeltl's numbers (which based on sentiment was expecting to be very different) while searching for that pass to Carroll in the corner.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  I'm interested in the perception that Poeltl is a significantly better passer than JV.

Like, it's basically impossible for a big man to get assists in this system anyway, but consider this:

JV: 19.5 USG%, 4.4 AST%, 4.4 USG/AST
                  JP: 12.1 USG%, 2.7 AST%, 4.5 USG/AST

Just something I stumbled on looking at Poeltl's numbers (which based on sentiment was expecting to be very different) while searching for that pass to Carroll in the corner.
                  Dan I have no idea how to interpret those stats
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Dan I have no idea how to interpret those stats
                    Sorry, USG% is usage rate, a measure of how many plays a player finishes, and used as an estimate of how involved a player is in the offence (with the exception of PG's, who typically have disproportionate assist rates).

AST% is the percent of the field goals scored while the player is on the court that are assisted by them.

I took a simple ratio of the two (how much the player is used in general, versus how much they generate assists) to normalize the numbers relative to each other, as you'd kind of expect a guy who gets the ball more to generate more assists, right?

I was just showing that the amount of possessions Poeltl needs to use to generate an assist is basically identical to the amount JV uses to generate an assist. I was surprised by that, is all.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

You don't need stats to tell you that Yak has a better feel for the game than JV. You can just tell by watching them play.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        Sorry, USG% is usage rate, a measure of how many plays a player finishes, and used as an estimate of how involved a player is in the offence (with the exception of PG's, who typically have disproportionate assist rates).

AST% is the percent of the field goals scored while the player is on the court that are assisted by them.

I took a simple ratio of the two (how much the player is used in general, versus how much they generate assists) to normalize the numbers relative to each other, as you'd kind of expect a guy who gets the ball more to generate more assists, right?

I was just showing that the amount of possessions Poeltl needs to use to generate an assist is basically identical to the amount JV uses to generate an assist. I was surprised by that, is all.
                        i had originally interpreted it as them being 4.5x as likely to end a posession as to record an assist, but i am now realizing that wasn't correct.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                          i had originally interpreted it as them being 4.5x as likely to end a posession as to record an assist, but i am now realizing that wasn't correct.
                          No, that's a valid interpretation as well. Roughly, anyway. I wasn't really looking at it to judge that way, more to compare the two players, but I think that lines up with what I did.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            You don't need stats to tell you that Yak has a better feel for the game than JV. You can just tell by watching them play.
                            So True! You can easily be wrong about absolutely everything without ever using a single stat! When it comes to mindless conviction to wild unsubstantiated beliefs, stats are absolutely useless!! Nobody has done more to prove this true fact than Chr1s1anL

However, if you are interested to see if your impressions hold up to actual facts, stats can sometimes be helpful.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                              So True! You can easily be wrong about absolutely everything without ever using a single stat! When it comes to mindless conviction to wild unsubstantiated beliefs, stats are absolutely useless!! Nobody has done more to prove this true fact than Chr1s1anL

However, if you are interested to see if your impressions hold up to actual facts, stats can sometimes be helpful.
                              There's a deep metaphorical connection between your comment and your avatar, but I can't quite put it into words.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post

If you look deep enough. You can find a stat to fit any narritive. Eye test is still the best way to judge a player.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X