Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tDotted wrote: View Post
    But TO BE FAIR to myself and everyone else that didn't like the pick at the time; it wasn't really Siakam that was the problem.

Pretty much the whole board was fixated on Labissiere, Davis & Sabonis and concluded these were the best choices for us to take at #9. General reasoning was we needed someone to play beside JV and these were the best players to do it. The ONE GUY that was almost unanimously decided to be a poor choice was Poeltl. And that's exactly who we took.

THIS is what set a lot of people off already for the night. If you look further in that thread, there are only a couple of people that liked that pick (BPA) with everyone else hating it. (I took it a little too far by calling him a bust that very night LOL)

Fast forward and the remaining favourites (Davis and Skal) are still on the board at 27. Seems like a pure stroke of luck and the basketball gods finally doing us a favor.

That's when Masai takes a guy who most people weren't informed about before them. I think we can all agree that we had flashbacks to the 2015 draft when we took Bruno out of nowhere in front of more well known draft prospects.

Poeltl's questionable fit on the team (at the time) and the PTSD of the Bruno pick is basically what did a lot of people in on draft night.

I guess this is just a long winded way of saying, I was wrong lol
    All credit to you for being able to say it. There are numerous examples of folks on this forum who don't seem able to get those words past their lips.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
      For some fun, I just scrolled back to around post #7080, which is when the immediate reactions to the Siakam pick happened. Here's a general overview of everyone's knee-jerk opinions (including mine):

There were a few people who were fully on board:
      The internet never forgets . It still won’t keep us from going nuts over this year’s pick. If we have one. Unless we’re too busy sizing our ringz.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        The internet never forgets . It still won’t keep us from going nuts over this year’s pick. If we have one. Unless we’re too busy sizing our ringz.
        Obviously, Raptors don't have their first round pick this year, but do have their second - however will likely be 55+, so good luck on scouting / fanboying players for that pick at this stage

Comment

• Kind of amazing to mw that Pascal hasn't hit 20 pages yet.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            Kind of amazing to mw that Pascal hasn't hit 20 pages yet.
            No controversy. He's really good.

(but it started from the very beginning, he and Jakob had to share one thread for a good while there).

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
              But TO BE FAIR to myself and everyone else that didn't like the pick at the time; it wasn't really Siakam that was the problem.

Pretty much the whole board was fixated on Labissiere, Davis & Sabonis and concluded these were the best choices for us to take at #9. General reasoning was we needed someone to play beside JV and these were the best players to do it. The ONE GUY that was almost unanimously decided to be a poor choice was Poeltl. And that's exactly who we took.

THIS is what set a lot of people off already for the night. If you look further in that thread, there are only a couple of people that liked that pick (BPA) with everyone else hating it. (I took it a little too far by calling him a bust that very night LOL)

Fast forward and the remaining favourites (Davis and Skal) are still on the board at 27. Seems like a pure stroke of luck and the basketball gods finally doing us a favor.

That's when Masai takes a guy who most people weren't informed about before them. I think we can all agree that we had flashbacks to the 2015 draft when we took Bruno out of nowhere in front of more well known draft prospects.

Poeltl's questionable fit on the team (at the time) and the PTSD of the Bruno pick is basically what did a lot of people in on draft night.

I guess this is just a long winded way of saying, I was wrong lol
              Pretty much locked on to my exact same reasoning at the time. Minus the Bruno thing; I was still pretty high on him.

The other factor for me was mainly because of how unknown Siakam was; I thought he could have easily been gotten undrafted or through buying a second rounder rather than not drafting Skal.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                For some fun, I just scrolled back to around post #7080, which is when the immediate reactions to the Siakam pick happened. Here's a general overview of everyone's knee-jerk opinions (including mine):

There were a few people who were fully on board:
                To be fair, I'm sure that there wasn't much trust in Masai's drafting at that point in time. His previous Raptor picks were Delon (who hadn't done shit his rookie year), and Bruno (who needs no explanation).

My WTF WERE YOU THINKING draft moment came when we picked Ross instead of Drummond, lol.

Comment

• Everything Pascal Siakam

Poeltl got traded in a package for Kawhi and Green, and Pascal is a steal in that draft.

Build Masai his statue already.

Comment

• I love being wrong when it turns out like this.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      The best quote was sanyo "Relax, Masai has done a lot more scouting than you"
                      Burner account confirmed.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• I think from now on, in the draft threads, before posting, everyone should check and see what T-Rex says. If you're typing up a post and thinking to yourself, "man, T-Rex's post is calmer and more level-headed than mine," you just then delete the post. Problem solved.

I have no clue who any of these guys are cause I don't watch college ball much or pay much attention to the draft but I'll be the first to admit I thought Siakam would be another in a long line of raw, athletic, long PFs who couldn't actually play and would be out of the league in 3 years. Best case scenario, he cracks the rotation. I never saw this coming.

Comment

• There is some type of draft fever that hits.. especially when you have a lottery pick. I was not happy about the Poeltl pick.. and when Skal dropped as far down as he did.. I was pretty pissed when we didn't grab him.

And I always assumed Poletl was a pick that we'd end up moving down the road. So I wasn't wrong there. Just never in my wildest dreams would I have assumed it would be for a guy like Kawhi.

I still wonder how Skal would have developed as a Raptor as opposed to a King. Our development program is one of the best in the entire league.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I still wonder how Skal would have developed as a Raptor as opposed to a King. Our development program is one of the best in the entire league.
                            Sometimes its the program but sometimes its also you. We couldn't do much with Bruno in 4 years so we traded him for Malachi Richardson of the Kings. Thus far Malachi has improved his 3 point shot but it is still inconsistent and he is still largely invisible when he does get minutes on the court.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Drafting the right guys is important but player development is the most underreported aspect of Raps success. Siakam, Powell, Wright, FVV, Anunoby, JV. 6 guys. All in-house. One lotto pick. Not to mention all the 3rd tier depth, some of which will eventually feed into the system. Makes a huge difference in constructing your team.. How big?

Raps: 11-1
                              Washington: 2-8

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                                Drafting the right guys is important but player development is the most underreported aspect of Raps success. Siakam, Powell, Wright, FVV, Anunoby, JV. 6 guys. All in-house. One lotto pick. Not to mention all the 3rd tier depth, some of which will eventually feed into the system. Makes a huge difference in constructing your team.. How big?

Raps: 11-1
                                Washington: 2-8
                                Washington's lacking a LOT more than development system, though

Comment

Working...
                                X