Likes Likes:  279
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Pascal Siakam

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think Siakam is pretty garbage. Seems like a nice enough kid. My fear is he's gonna be taking minutes from da real OG
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Not sure which thread to put this in. Jazz just waived Joel Bolomboy who is a very similar player to Pascal..... a long, energy big with an evolving shot. Drafted 2nd round #52 by Utah. Pascal is a looking like a wasted 1st round pick.

https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-u...joel-bolomboy/
    I don't know if he was wasted outright, but I am nervous that Skal Labissiere is going to be exactly what we needed, and we passed on him twice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I don't know if he was wasted outright, but I am nervous that Skal Labissiere is going to be exactly what we needed, and we passed on him twice.
    Poeltl is gonna be a very good player. Very intelligent, good attitude. Future lower middle class vlade divac

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    From the reports, Skal seemed to be on Masai's draft shortlist. Would be really interesting to get the low-down on how the final decision was made not to grab Skal when he dropped. My wild speculation is that it had something to do with Siakam looking somewhat like a semi-tough Biz replacement after his breakout performance in the ECF, and Skal looking somewhat soft and timid.

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Poeltl is gonna be a very good player. Very intelligent, good attitude. Future lower middle class vlade divac
    I'm still going with Homeless Man's Tim Duncan

(I don't see race)

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I think Siakam is pretty garbage. Seems like a nice enough kid. My fear is he's gonna be taking minutes from da real OG
    He didn't have the best preseason, but he's going to be a solid rotation player for many years. Rich man's Jerome Williams.

I do think Masai played it a tad safe with Pascal over Skal. He was likely concerned that his youth movement could go sour with the wrong personalities (ie Skal + Bruno) and went with more of a veteran-style producer but one that also had very good length and athleticism. He was rewarded with a guy (at least semi) capable of starting on a winning team with very solid potential as his D and jumper get better and better.

Raptors Republic Veteran Hotshot's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the reports, Skal seemed to be on Masai's draft shortlist. Would be really interesting to get the low-down on how the final decision was made not to grab Skal when he dropped. My wild speculation is that it had something to do with Siakam looking somewhat like a semi-tough Biz replacement after his breakout performance in the ECF, and Skal looking somewhat soft and timid.
    The final decision by Masai was the workout of Pascal whom he personally saw and was most impressed then the others. I believe that Masai tends to believe that if he finds the right player with the right attitude, he can transform him into a "system player" like they do in San Antonio. Skal was overall dissapointing in college and seemed timid and raw, which I think Masai didn't want to take on another big gamble like he did with the Bruno pick that is yet to pay dividends.

I was dissapointed at the time that such a highly questionable talented player like Skal fell to our lap yet we didn't go for it like we did with Anunoby this year which at draft time was the right call ( let's hope so).

Now Skal is showing that he isn't that timid and may live up to some of his hype while Pascal has yet to show he isn't but another Luc Moute clone like player which is a fine backup but nothing more. Only time will tell...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    He didn't have the best preseason, but he's going to be a solid rotation player for many years. Rich man's Jerome Williams.

I do think Masai played it a tad safe with Pascal over Skal. He was likely concerned that his youth movement could go sour with the wrong personalities (ie Skal + Bruno) and went with more of a veteran-style producer but one that also had very good length and athleticism. He was rewarded with a guy (at least semi) capable of starting on a winning team with very solid potential as his D and jumper get better and better.
    I would be happy with just "Jerome Williams" he need not be rich. Maybe it's part nostalgia but man that dude was good at the "little things" in like 2003. He was like 6-9 Kyle Lowry who can't shoot or pass, if that makes sense lol. Of course, he was no Keon Clark. But then again, nobody is.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    The final decision by Masai was the workout of Pascal whom he personally saw and was most impressed then the others. I believe that Masai tends to believe that if he finds the right player with the right attitude, he can transform him into a "system player" like they do in San Antonio. Skal was overall dissapointing in college and seemed timid and raw, which I think Masai didn't want to take on another big gamble like he did with the Bruno pick that is yet to pay dividends.

I was dissapointed at the time that such a highly questionable talented player like Skal fell to our lap yet we didn't go for it like we did with Anunoby this year which at draft time was the right call ( let's hope so).

Now Skal is showing that he isn't that timid and may live up to some of his hype while Pascal has yet to show he isn't but another Luc Moute clone like player which is a fine backup but nothing more. Only time will tell...
    That makes a lot of sense. At the same time, if Masai's thought process was to be gun-shy of getting burned picking Skal because of Bruno, there really is no comparison there. Skal was ranked the #1 player coming out of high-school at one point, whereas Bruno was, and still is a complete unknown in basketball terms. Nobody would have faulted Masai for picking Skal 10+ spots lower than where he was projected to go. There are no sure things in the draft.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That makes a lot of sense. At the same time, if Masai's thought process was to be gun-shy of getting burned picking Skal because of Bruno, there really is no comparison there. Skal was ranked the #1 player coming out of high-school at one point, whereas Bruno was, and still is a complete unknown in basketball terms. Nobody would have faulted Masai for picking Skal 10+ spots lower than where he was projected to go. There are no sure things in the draft.
    2nd guessing is a curse. The Bruno pick was partly due to missing out on Giannis (whom Masai wanted but did not have a pick) who was also for the most part unknown( still raw playing in the Greek league) and was projected to go outside the lottery in what was perceived correctly to be a weak draft.

Anunoby pick is therefore an accumulation of Masai's questionable draft picks that finally came down to the correct assessment when drafting a player outside the lottery in the first round : You don't always want the safe pick (Pascal) but you also don't always want too risky pick (Bruno) but a combination of the two. You want some risk if it means higher then average upside (Anunoby/Skal/Capela).

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta agree with golden and KeonClark. Passing on Skal might end up being a mistake by Ujiri.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    Gotta agree with golden and KeonClark. Passing on Skal might end up being a mistake by Ujiri.
    I think there could have been another NBA conspiracy at play here. A screw job, if you will. It probably went down something like this on draft night:

Adam Silver (on the phone): OK, Masai. Raptors are up. You have 5 minutes to make your pick.

Masai (1 second later): Toronto Raptors pick Skal Labissierre.

Adam Silver (calls back, 4 minutes and 50 seconds later): I heard something about Picskal. Did you say Pascal??

Masai: No, no, no! I said "we'll pick Skal". We want to pick Skal.......

Silver: Pascal it is.

Masai: Wait! Stop! No! No!!!

Silver (click): With the 27th pick, the Toronto Raptors.....

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20 points against the world champs. Looked like the right pick to me.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heck of a game from him. Warriors really blew their transition D, really opened up a lot for him, and to his credit he hit his threes. I was doubtful of the choice to start him but it definitely paid off.

Raptors Republic Superstar Maury's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think he got lucky. He played well and made the most of his opportunities but I would still rather have OG playing all of his minutes, especially when JV is back.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Heck of a game from him. Warriors really blew their transition D, really opened up a lot for him, and to his credit he hit his threes. I was doubtful of the choice to start him but it definitely paid off.
    Siakams confidence was out of this world after the 2nd made 3. Even demar was handing him the ball and letting him make the decisions. It was a surreal few minute span in the 3rd quarter lol

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Fury's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He's better than Noguiera, don't even argue with me.

Raptors Republic Veteran tDotted's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    I don't know about "better" necessarily but he's far less frustrating, definitely.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    He looked bigger, faster and stronger. Definitely put in the work and it shows.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Well if bebe good play more than 10 minutes without losing an ankle. Trying to figure out where I'd seen him before, then I remembered he was in that unbreakable movie!!

Bebe be like "my arch nemesis..stairs"

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information