Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What star will be available this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Temple is shooting 3's at a rate of 7.4 per 100 possessions. That's a very good volume and comparable to established 3 & D guys like Trevor Ariza (7.5) and better than Otto Porter (6.0). It's more than enough to be a floor spacer. And Temple's 3P attempts would probably increase further since we have a lot of non or inconsistent 3P shooters in the rotation. And what's wrong with getting another good 3-pt shooter who is also a decent perimeter defender, who can guard multiple positions? It gives us more lineup flexibility & switchability for new NBA.
    They just don't need him. They can already play 2 or 3 point guards on the floor at a time, then you've got DD/Powell/OG/Miles on the wing, too. That's 7 guys they'd legitimately like to keep giving minutes to at 3 positions (leaving out the occasional OG/Miles at the 4 option).

Overall you'd still be trying to go 11-12 deep all the time, which is too much. The guy coming back has to be really good, it should be a guy who puts them over the top. This looks like a trade for the sake of making one.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      They just don't need him. They can already play 2 or 3 point guards on the floor at a time, then you've got DD/Powell/OG/Miles on the wing, too. That's 7 guys they'd legitimately like to keep giving minutes to at 3 positions (leaving out the occasional OG/Miles at the 4 option).

Overall you'd still be trying to go 11-12 deep all the time, which is too much. The guy coming back has to be really good, it should be a guy who puts them over the top. This looks like a trade for the sake of making one.
      It does seem like the same result can be achieved by just sitting JV. Because I don't think I'd play either of those guys over anyone currently playing in the rotation. Which makes me not like the trade much.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Exactly my thoughts on why it's a waste of time.

He can't guard the 3/4 (he's 6'6 195), while also being able to shoot at a high clip so he provides nothing we don't already have.

Comment

TBH, I'm not a big fan of 3 PGs, when those 3 guys are Wright, FVV and Lowry. Wright is a non-shooter and FVV is inconsistent and small.

That said, I wouldn't view it as only a trade to benefit this specific roster at this moment in time. It gives you pieces that may give you more flexibility down the line to make other moves (i.e. smaller contracts with more desirable NBA skills than JV). Not pushing this as anything more than a lateral move that solves the Raps JV 'problem' (if that's really a thing) before his value becomes even less.

Comment

• You give FVV's or Wright's minutes to 6'6 guard who is a 40% shooter. I don't know, to me sounds good. 2 shooters in CJ Miles and Temple would be sweet to have.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              You give FVV's or Wright's minutes to 6'6 guard who is a 40% shooter. I don't know, to me sounds good. 2 shooters in CJ Miles and Temple would be sweet to have.
              For sure. Swapping out FVV-Lowry for FVV-Temple would be a nice look, however Casey is all about protecting the ball, so he wants as many ball handlers as he can on the court. Pretty difficult to install a new ball movement offense when you have multiple guys on the court who are better at pounding the rock than shooting it.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                For sure. Swapping out FVV-Lowry for FVV-Temple would be a nice look, however Casey is all about protecting the ball, so he wants as many ball handlers as he can on the court. Pretty difficult to install a new ball movement offense when you have multiple guys on the court who are better at pounding the rock than shooting it.
                Difficult but we've done it.

It takes a lot of stones to want to bring widespread change to an offense that finished sixth in the regular season in offensive rating, but Casey and President Majai Ujiri knew it was necessary. The tweaks have been more major than they appear: Toronto has increased its passing metrics across the board. NBA.com’s stats bureau tallies up secondary assists, or hockey assists, which are passes that lead to an assist. This year the Raptors are sixth in the league in secondary dimes; last season they were 27th.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Double posted for some reason.

One further thought

Masai, Casey and Nurse have brought about this change despite both starting bigs, both starting guards and our key offseason acquisition all having a reputation in years past of NOT passing the ball.
                  Last edited by 3inthekeon; Fri Dec 1, 2017, 12:34 PM.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    Double posted for some reason.

One further thought

Masai, Casey and Nurse have brought about this change despite both starting bigs, both starting guards and our key offseason acquisition all having a reputation in years past of NOT passing the ball.
                    This one could go either way, like: wow, great job this year.... guys. Or: WTF, why have you been telling me that these guys can't pass for the last 4 years?

In many ways, Casey looks bad because he's had Nurse for a long time and didn't allow him to implement this style until Masai publicly called him out.

Comment

• Lol the amount of just pure discrediting Casey gets. Yeah Nurse implemented it and Casey was just in his way this whole time.

In-fucking-credible bias.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Double posted for some reason.

One further thought

Maybe they have that reputation because they've been coached by a guy whose system was built on isolation and just using screens to hoist long twos. (For six years, in DeMar's case.)

The year before JJ's second stint here he had an 18.2% assist rate. He came here and it dropped to 11.4% for two years. Left and it bounced back up to 20.9%.

Year before Lou comes he's at 22.9%, he comes here it goes down to 13.6%. Now it's up to 23.8%. He's a career 20.6% and never had a lower assist rate year other than here, except for his rookie season.

It's pretty obvious why.

Better late than never, but we have been arguing for more passing for YEARS, and in response Casey called the critics internet basement dwellers.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          Lol the amount of just pure discrediting Casey gets. Yeah Nurse implemented it and Casey was just in his way this whole time.

In-fucking-credible bias.
                          why should anyone give credit to someone who didn't bother to change a horrible scheme until his boss ordered it?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                            why should anyone give credit to someone who didn't bother to change a horrible scheme until his boss ordered it?
                            Because his boss was fine with it a year before?

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              Because his boss was fine with it a year before?

All i'm getting from that is that weltman is a moron too.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                                All i'm getting from that is that weltman is a moron too.
                                Weltman was assistant GM at the time. You really think GM and Coach don't work together?

Comment

Working...
                                X