Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artificial Intelligence: Saviour, SkyNET, or ... video game nerd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And following up on this story, I came across this gem:

"Any A.I. smart enough to pass a Turing test is smart enough to know to fail it."

- Ian Macdonald, River of Gods

"Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but the robot didn't beat a grandmaster, it beat another robot.

It's astonishing how many journalists/news sources just flat-out dgaf about reporting things accurately.
      clickbait brings all the boys to the yard

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        Skynet or the Matrix, either way, humanity is eventually doomed by AI. Personally I'm pulling for Matrix style destruction.
        Mixing metaphors a little, but I like to think of it more like Lord of the Rings:

A.I. will be like the Elves, on this whole other higher level of magical existence.

And humans will be like the Hobbits: eating 5 meals a days, drinking beer, and smoking pipe-weed. But, pretty useless and irrelevant in the overall sense.

(Or at least, we appear to be useless and irrelevant...)
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          Mixing metaphors a little, but I like to think of it more like Lord of the Rings:

A.I. will be like the Elves, on this whole other higher level of magical existence.

And humans will be like the Hobbits: eating 5 meals a days, drinking beer, and smoking pipe-weed. But, pretty useless and irrelevant in the overall sense.

(Or at least, we appear to be useless and irrelevant...)
          The movie rights to your post-apocolyptic Human-revolt/uprising story have now been sold.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
            The movie rights to your post-apocolyptic Human-revolt/uprising story have now been sold.
            I'll be using this thread to solidify my copyright claim
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                That bot wants some Bargnani

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                  That bot is going to eat Bargnani
                  (Wet voice) bargnani with unlimited stick

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                    (Wet voice) bargnani with unlimited stick
                    LOL'ed at (Wet Voice). Also, don't forget the secret soup!

Comment

Google Created AI That Just Needs A Few Snapshots To Make 3D Models Of Its Surroundings

https://futurism.com/google-ai-surroundings-3d-model/

Comment

The scary thing is that AI thinks nothing like humans. It's all statistically driven. Its needs to be kept in check because we don't want to one day end up on the losing side of the equation.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          The scary thing is that AI thinks nothing like humans. It's all statistically driven. Its needs to be kept in check because we don't want to one day end up on the losing side of the equation.
                          True, but even beyond that though, we really do not understand how AI thinks or learns - like at all. These Deep Learning Algorithms are going end up doing serious good, or serious harm I think.

There are things that AI has learned to do, and we have no idea how it does it or how it got there. That's the part that creeps me out. Like the Facebook bot that ended up creating its own language.
                          Last edited by Joey; Fri Jun 15, 2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

An IBM computer debates humans, and wins
                            IBM created a system called Project Debater that competes in what the company calls computational argumentation -- knowing a subject, presenting a position and defending it against opposition. At a press event, IBM pitted the system against two humans with a track record of winning debates.
                            https://www.cnet.com/news/an-ibm-com...d-competition/

Comment

One step closer to realizing our true supreme ruler. Lol

That thing is super impressive after watching those videos.
                              Last edited by Joey; Tue Jun 19, 2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                                True, but even beyond that though, we really do not understand how AI thinks or learns - like at all. These Deep Learning Algorithms are going end up doing serious good, or serious harm I think.

There are things that AI has learned to do, and we have no idea how it does it or how it got there. That's the part that creeps me out. Like the Facebook bot that ended up creating its own language.
                                The Alpha Zero chess program sold me on AI eventually taking all our jobs. Not only does it not play like any computer program, it doesn't play like any human and it's smashing solid openings played by the strongest engine in the world and throwing into question long-held assumptions about fundamental play.

I fell kinda lucky because I think most of this is 20-30 years away from being practical and by that time I will be done in my career. Worry about what my kids are going to do, though....

Comment

Working...
                                X