Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Most Overrated Team in the East ..aka.. Why Boston Sux.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read this somewhere, thought it was too good

Big part of it is the Raptors fanbases' general inability to like two players who play the same position at the same time.

You see it all the time, and it's almost always preference for the newer/younger player.

We hated Ford and loved Calderon.

Then we hated Calderon and loved Lowry.

We loved Bosh, hated Bargnani (might've gotten this one right :lol: )

Then for a while, we loved Villanueva and wanted to trade Bosh.

More recently, last year we loved Powell and hated Demar.

Now we love Demar and hate Powell.

Last year, briefly, we loved Ibaka.

Now this year, with Siakam, we love Siakam and hate Ibaka.

We also love Poeltl and hate JV.

Similarly, there's a brewing conflict among the fanbase between Delon Wright and Fred VanVleet about the backup PG position.

(I use "we" in the colloquial sense. I can actually step back and enjoy having a team where there is more than one good player at any given position).

But this is really moreso an example of the "ooh, look, shiny and new" mentality that Raptors fans have.

Comment

• So here is a question. Who would be the toughest opening round opponent for Boston and Cleveland? Miami's surge has made the "second tier" of the east very interesting. I personally have seen about 10 minutes of the Pistons so far and their wins/losses and the margins seem irrational and puzzling. The Miami team we saw last week might be hell on the Cavs I would think

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
        So here is a question. Who would be the toughest opening round opponent for Boston and Cleveland? Miami's surge has made the "second tier" of the east very interesting. I personally have seen about 10 minutes of the Pistons so far and their wins/losses and the margins seem irrational and puzzling. The Miami team we saw last week might be hell on the Cavs I would think
        That's the funny thing. Any one of the Knicks, 76'ers, Bulls. Pacers, Bucks, Pistons, (Nets?) have enough talent to get hot and upset one of the top teams. I'm interested in seeing our games against the Pistons this week. I'm leaving the Wiz somewhere between those two groups. Meanwhile, as for the origin of this thread, the Bucks are starting to look like a team that got a bit too much hype.

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
          So here is a question. Who would be the toughest opening round opponent for Boston and Cleveland? Miami's surge has made the "second tier" of the east very interesting. I personally have seen about 10 minutes of the Pistons so far and their wins/losses and the margins seem irrational and puzzling. The Miami team we saw last week might be hell on the Cavs I would think
          Seat of the Pants Analysis...

For Boston....
          Miami....Detroit or Washington

Why ?
          Miami... These are esentially the same teams but Boston has more talent... Both foul on every play defensively and if it all gets called the game is going to devolve into a foul shooting contest. So its essentially a toss up... and Pat Reilly hates that whiny ass two faced SOB Danny Ainge more than taxes so watch for his team to carry that edge/grudge into a series with the Chowders if there is a matchup.

Washington ... they too hate the Leptraturds with a passion... Its a bit of theme in the league. Washington with Wall will be able to sprint away from any on ball perimeter pressure without issue... and they have a big in Gortat who will dominate either of the Celts 5's on the PnR...Not a good matchup for Boston

Detoit.... Drummond will simply own the glass on both ends against a team that rebounds by committee.. and needs 2nd chance points to be successful. It will be all Irving all night to get points... If he is off... the Pistons with Drummond inside and Harris slashing have a decent chance.

The Lebrons

Bucks.. Indy.....Detroit...

Bucks / Indy.... very fast teams that have a ton of athleticism.. that will give the Lebrons fits. Milwaukee with Giannas inside will give the Lebrons fits. They .. well nobody.. can match the Alphabet inside. Indy with Olidipo and a transition game will run the older Cavs into the ground.

Detroit... like the Raps ... have a big in Drummond that the Cavs.. right now at least... don't have an answer for inside...
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jan 15, 2018, 01:07 PM. Reason: adding some context ...
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Not sure where else to post this but honestly the #1 seed might not even need to be a priority right now.

The Cavs are probably going to be tied for 3rd after tonight. Heat are one game back and they play Chicago, Cavs play the Warriors.

Man the dream scenario would be the Cavs having to go through the Wizards/Bucks and then the Celtics before playing us. You might actually have a somewhat fatigued LeBron at that point who could be beatable.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
              That's the funny thing. Any one of the Knicks, 76'ers, Bulls. Pacers, Bucks, Pistons, (Nets?) have enough talent to get hot and upset one of the top teams. I'm interested in seeing our games against the Pistons this week. I'm leaving the Wiz somewhere between those two groups. Meanwhile, as for the origin of this thread, the Bucks are starting to look like a team that got a bit too much hype.
              The only one of those teams that might legitimately scare a Bos/Cle/Tor come playoff time is maybe the Bucks.

First, you can eliminate any team that can't win on the road. The Knicks? Yikes. Knicks are 4-15 on the road, Pistons 9-14, Bulls 6-16, so they are all toast. What that tells you is that those teams will be hard pressed to even make the playoffs let alone beat a top seed. Pacers can score but their defense is awful and they are one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA - Raps fans know how that story ends (see Wizards series sweep). Sixers are a couple years away - young teams don't win playoff series.

Having said that, I don't think any second round series will be a walk. The Heat are looking tough (though they may be peaking too early) and the Wizards haven't really put it together yet but someone out of that middle pack always makes a run post-all star game.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                Not sure where else to post this but honestly the #1 seed might not even need to be a priority right now.

The Cavs are probably going to be tied for 3rd after tonight. Heat are one game back and they play Chicago, Cavs play the Warriors.

Man the dream scenario would be the Cavs having to go through the Wizards/Bucks and then the Celtics before playing us. You might actually have a somewhat fatigued LeBron at that point who could be beatable.
                I'm not willing to lay my money on the heat being better than the cavs over 82. Heat are on a very hot streak and the cavs on a very cold streak so it's brought them close, but I don't expect both of those trends to last forever
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

For Boston....

For the Lebrons
                  Yeah, Miami has already beat Boston twice.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Not sure where else to post this but honestly the #1 seed might not even need to be a priority right now.

Any fatigue LeBron might feel will be banished by the decent rest times afforded all teams in the playoffs. IMHO.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

For Boston....

Why ?
                      Miami... These are esentially the same teams but Boston has more talent... Both foul on every play defensively and if it all gets called the game is going to devolve into a foul shooting contest. So its essentially a toss up... and Pat Reilly hates that whiny ass two faced SOB Danny Ainge more than taxes so watch for his team to carry that edge/grudge into a series with the Chowders if there is a matchup.

Washington ... they too hate the Leptraturds with a passion... Its a bit of theme in the league. Washington with Wall will be able to sprint away from any on ball perimeter pressure without issue... and they have a big in Gortat who will dominate either of the Celts 5's on the PnR...Not a good matchup for Boston

Detoit.... Drummond will simply own the glass on both ends against a team that rebounds by committee.. and needs 2nd chance points to be successful. It will be all Irving all night to get points... If he is off... the Pistons with Drummond inside and Harris slashing have a decent chance.

The Lebrons

Bucks / Indy.... very fast teams that have a ton of athleticism.. that will give the Lebrons fits. Milwaukee with Giannas inside will give the Lebrons fits. They .. well nobody.. can match the Alphabet inside. Indy with Olidipo and a transition game will run the older Cavs into the ground.

Detroit... like the Raps ... have a big in Drummond that the Cavs.. right now at least... don't have an answer for inside...
                      Excellent! Thank you everyone. I'm writing after the eastern MLK games and after watching the Pacers looking super athletic against Phoenix last night. I don't know what to think at the moment. Just have to watch the games and see what happens I guess. I somehow feel that any of the top 9 teams can beat any of the others on a given night....Cleveland is clearly not a super team anymore. I still believe the Raptors have a solid chance to go deep.

Comment

• Gap between us and Boston is 4 games.

Gap between us and the 5th seed (Washington) is 5 games.

Not good enough. Can go on about point differential as much as we want, but all that matters come playoff time is seeding.

Comment

Gap between us and Boston is 4 games.

Gap between us and the 5th seed (Washington) is 5 games.

Not good enough. Can go on about point differential as much as we want, but all that matters come playoff time is seeding.
                          seeding only matters to avoid Lebron which both teams will lose too
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Not a death spiral yet, but Cavs are not in a good place

Following the Cleveland Cavaliers' 118-108 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Monday, multiple players acknowledged growing discontent and a strong sense of concern that unlike past seasons, the team does not have the capability to fix its problems and get back on a championship track.

Several prominent players, speaking on condition of anonymity to ESPN, Cleveland.com and The Athletic, expressed doubt that the problems -- an aging roster, defensively challenged personnel and a glut of redundant role players -- could simply be worked out through patience and a chance to coalesce when fully healthy.
                            http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ent-state-team
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              Not a death spiral yet, but Cavs are not in a good place

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ent-state-team
                              "Guys, we really suck this time. Not like previous years, where we only kind of sucked. This time it's for real"

I'm still not buying it.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                "Guys, we really suck this time. Not like previous years, where we only kind of sucked. This time it's for real"

I'm still not buying it.
                                ESPN is beginning the build up for boston vs cleveland conf finals. By the time it arrives they'll have fans convinced it's a 50/50 battle. They can sell the final 4 again this year whereas last year they could only sell the finals as a battle. In reality there are no real battles that matter because a healthy golden state loses 3-4 games tops in the playoffs

Raptors are a doormat in the way of Boston vs cleveland though
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X