Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Most Overrated Team in the East ..aka.. Why Boston Sux.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Probably somewhere in the 4-5 slot, like last year, probably a few more wins (45 ish?). Giannis is very good, but also very limited, and the surrounding cast isn't actually all that great. They are a solid enough team, but unless Giannis has another leap in him, or Parker is suddenly really good, I can't see them challenging anyone for the top of the conference.
    Milwaukee still has upside beyond Giannis. Parker is good, but he hasn't meshed with Giannis - that could be a chemistry/fit issue, or maybe he gets traded for another asset. Then there's Thon Maker, who really surprised a lot of people last year. Middleton (who is ranked above DeMar, lol) is otherwise pretty good. So if Maker continues along his learning curve, then that's a really solid starting 5 that is only getting better, while the Raps may have already plateaued.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Milwaukee still has upside beyond Giannis. Parker is good, but he hasn't meshed with Giannis - that could be a chemistry/fit issue, or maybe he gets traded for another asset. Then there's Thon Maker, who really surprised a lot of people last year. Middleton (who is ranked above DeMar, lol) is otherwise pretty good. So if Maker continues along his learning curve, then that's a really solid starting 5 that is only getting better, while the Raps may have already plateaued.
      My concern is - yes, Maker surprised people. He won't anymore.

Ultimately their upside is tied up in Parker playing well. Which I'm not going to be betting on.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

To keep the Boston sux feel going, check out the Posted Up podcast (featuring and tweeted by our Blake Murphy). They preview the Atlantic with writers from each city. For a group of us who think toronto is always dismissed, Tim Bontemps does a pretty measured dissection of the celtics with the mass live writer.

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

E
          I love that you disagreed with his point so much you made a multimedia presentation to insult his name
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            My concern is - yes, Maker surprised people. He won't anymore.

Ultimately their upside is tied up in Parker playing well. Which I'm not going to be betting on.
            Ultimately I just see more *chance* for improvement for the Wizards and Bucks than I see for the Raptors. Obviously, things could go horribly wrong -- Parker hasn't even finished a full season yet. Brogdon could hit the sophomore jinx. Giannis' knee injury could be more serious than we think, etc. But in terms of ceiling I think the Bucks could slide into the 4th spot and drop us down.

Cleveland: 55 wins
            Boston: 51 wins
            Washington 50 wins
            Milwaukee: 47 wins
            Toronto: 46 wins

But that's just regular season. I'd bet on the Raptors beating both the Wizards and Bucks in a 7 game series.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

Don't really understand the Washington love. I mean, how much better do you expect Porter to be? How many more open shots do you think Wall can get him?
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                To keep the Boston sux feel going, check out the Posted Up podcast (featuring and tweeted by our Blake Murphy). They preview the Atlantic with writers from each city. For a group of us who think toronto is always dismissed, Tim Bontemps does a pretty measured dissection of the celtics with the mass live writer.
                Great Pod you pointed out...Tim was pretty tough on Kyrie's charachter and the mass live guy didn't have to many comebacks to the pointed questions on rebounding, what if Horford gets hurt other than " it'll be interesting"

Bontemps not sold on the Philly process making the playoffs either... I think they make it as there are some pretty poor teams in the east but Bontemps is not on that train at all.

About a half month to go before season opening tip. Can't wait for the Cavs to blow out the Chowders on opening night.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                  Don't really understand the Washington love. I mean, how much better do you expect Porter to be? How many more open shots do you think Wall can get him?
                  Their starting five ( if Morris doesn't go to jail for his felony assault charge in Arizona..the reddest of red states and the home of Sherriff JoeApario) is really good.
                  Top 3 PG and SG...solid 5... solid SF...solid 4...they're good.
                  No bench though..and that's what keeps them in the 3 -4 slot.
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Sep 29, 2017, 10:34 AM.
                  - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    Their starting five ( if Morris doesn't go to jail for his felony assault charge in Arizona..the reddest of red states and the home of Sherriff JoeApario) is really good.
                    Top 3 PG and SG...solid 5... solid SF...solid 4...they're good.
                    No bench though..and that's what keeps them in the 3 -4 slot.
                    Yeah and? They had the same starting 5 last year and they were good last year. Why they are being picked as better than the Raps this year is what i'm asking.

And my question was more directed to ebrian's comments but he's certainly not the only one (here and in the public at large) who favours Washington.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                      Yeah and? They had the same starting 5 last year and they were good last year. Why they are being picked as better than the Raps this year is what i'm asking.

And my question was more directed to ebrian's comments but he's certainly not the only one (here and in the public at large) who favours Washington.
                      Ah...yes....your spot on..

They weren't as good as the Raps last year with that starting unit and their bench is worse this year than last......so it is a mystery why some pick them ahead of a pretty much same Raps team that finished 3 or 4 wins better than the Wiz last year...

What I'm on is the Wiz's strength is their starting 5 which is really good....and keeps them in the top 4 of the east...I have the Raps in the top 2...
                      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        Ah...yes....your spot on..

They weren't as good as the Raps last year with that starting unit and their bench is worse this year than last......so it is a mystery why some pick them ahead of a pretty much same Raps team that finished 3 or 4 wins better than the Wiz last year...

What I'm on is the Wiz's strength is their starting 5 which is really good....and keeps them in the top 4 of the east...I have the Raps in the top 2...
                        A lot of it for me, has to do with ceiling. For me both Washington and Milwaukee are teams that are trending up while we've plateaued, maybe a year ago. I think we're still a very competitive team, esp in the playoffs. But when I make predictions I'm usually looking at best-case scenario, and unfortunately for the Raptors the best case scenario in my opinion is Lowry, JV, DeRozan, Miles missing a combined 20+ games. We don't exactly have a team full of iron men.

I've already mentioned that I think Milwaukee has a really high ceiling, and while we were better than Washington last year, they are on the upswing. Washington's starting lineup can hang with any Eastern Conference lineup except for the one with Lebron James on it. I think that the Wizards paid Porter based on what he's growing into (similar to the way we paid DeRozan in his previous contract). And yea, if Morris doesn't end up in jail...
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          A lot of it for me, has to do with ceiling. For me both Washington and Milwaukee are teams that are trending up while we've plateaued, maybe a year ago. I think we're still a very competitive team, esp in the playoffs. But when I make predictions I'm usually looking at best-case scenario, and unfortunately for the Raptors the best case scenario in my opinion is Lowry, JV, DeRozan, Miles missing a combined 20+ games. We don't exactly have a team full of iron men.

I've already mentioned that I think Milwaukee has a really high ceiling, and while we were better than Washington last year, they are on the upswing. Washington's starting lineup can hang with any Eastern Conference lineup except for the one with Lebron James on it. I think that the Wizards paid Porter based on what he's growing into (similar to the way we paid DeRozan in his previous contract). And yea, if Morris doesn't end up in jail...
                          The Raps go deeper on the depth chart than the Whiz do and are in better position to absorb injury when guys get knicked up. The Whiz aren't. As for durability the Whizs second best player Beal has spent far more time on the IR than either of Lowry or DD. It's what keeps Grunfeld awake at night. No depth. As we saw in last year's playoffs when Gianna's just ran out of gas as he was playing 45 mins a game so to will the Whiz in the playoffs. You can't run the big horses all game long. Until they find some competent depth don't share your view that Washington sits ahead of the Raps or is a team with a higher ceiling. They are what they are.

I think Milwaukee takes a step forward only when Malcom Brogdon who looks like he can become a George Hill type PG arrives. Not sure if it's this year or next for that. FWIW..Parker doesn't help that team. He needs the ball and when he has it..the alphabet doesn't. You don't get better when you decrease the time your best player has with the ball.
                          - TGO

Comment

Wiz could have a hit or miss season. Year before last they missed the playoffs. Although they were at .500 and this year I suspect teams with 41 wins will get into the playoffs. If Morris gets in trouble from the law they'll be a mess.

Comment

I know there's a lot of question marks surrounding the Celtics, but ultimately they have Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Al Horford, some solid role players, and some really intriguing young players.

Philly on the other hand has some people saying they're going to be a .500 team. With what exactly? Two rookies, one of which who can't shoot, and a glass Joel Embiid? That's really all they have for exciting players. They'll be into the 30 win area this year maybe, but people get too excited about young teams and expect the jump too quickly. Some people thought the Timberwolves would win 50 games last year.
                              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
                                Love the post and I agree completely. I cant remember who said they bet money with a friend on the raptors making it further than Boston but I'm gonna see if I can sucker someone into making that deal as well.
                                Please post that succers No.
                                Heck I dont even gamble, but thats not even gambling. Easy money.

Comment

Working...
                                X