matt and jack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mess wrote: View Post
    Eh, out of all 3 I find Leo says the dumbest x's & o's stuff now and then. Or maybe he just irritates me the most so it annoys me more than a similar comment from the others would.
    Leo's "x's and o's":

-don't leave your feet to block shots
    -jump up and grab blocked shots with your hands
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I'm okay with matt and jack but not a big leo fan. The one complaint I have (and this extends to most of broadcasting through most sports) is the recent trend of them telling us some super specific random stats that don't actually mean anything.

Something like "He's the first player in NBA history to hit a three pointer in the last two minutes of the second quarter in four consecutive games....in January."

Like ok great, good for him.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        I am not a huge Leo fan but he bought a lot of credibility with me when he called out players in the playoffs a couple years ago, which was shocking.

I used to like Jack quite a bit but the schtick is wearing thin and he really pissed me off with his "where are the fans? the fans need to be better!" nonsense in the playoffs. As a fan of this crappy organization for 20+ years, to call out the fans as though we owe this historically loser organization anything really grinded my gears....

Devlin I like but him and Jack can be borderline unlistenable when they get off on one of their stupid non-basketball tangents. Enough already. I am convinced though that they are absolutely told to do it and it obviously plays well with the viewers or they would be gone by now. Personally, I'd love to see them let Leo and Jack talk more x's and o's. I feel like the telecast is trapped in 2001 while the fans are living in 2017....

All in all, it could be a lot worse.
        It could be worse .....but objectively compared to the bar for local Canadian TV colour and announce teams ...the Blue Jays team of Buck Martinez, Pat Tabler and when he is available Dan Shulman (who are the effing best in the business bar none) ...the Raps guys suck canal water.

And it’s going to be even tougher now that (Even with the perfect 82-0-0 season now over) the leafs are going to be riding high on every sportscast coast to coast.

Jack and Matt and Leo are going to have to raise their game a shit tonne this year. It’s OK to be insightful. It’s OK to call out DD if he is stopping the ball.It ok to say JV is mentally checked out. Its ok to try and bring insight to the game from a coaches perspective Jacko.......

It’s not OK to talk ice cream..Meek Mill. ...Drake and where your going to expense the next dinner on the next roadie to South Beach or Cali. Fucking spare us this drivel.

Tick Tock boys... you want to stay relevant...pick up your games or lose all those casual fans back to the Leafs.

Here’s hoping it’s more Buck and Pat stuff than listening to what happened at Leo’s kids games at St.Mikes...cuz no one but the Rautins gives a shit.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Oct 12, 2017, 07:05 PM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

Trailblazer raptor preseason game 2018

Westsider Rider wrote: View Post
          ok seriously, jack armstrong has been on the air for the raptors for apparently 20 years, according to matt devlin pointing that out during the raps v pistons preseason game. matt devlin has been on air for the raptors for the last 10 years. I have had league pass for years, have heard every teams broadcast team. I would have to say that the raptors commentators are the worst or close to it. Jack has been doing the same high pitched one trick pony act for his entire time with the franchise. And Devlin feels the need to come up with a stupid nickname for every player on the team and call them that for every point, assist or defensive play that they make. Clearly they have a following, or have been blackmailing their bosses who put them on the air. Everyone i know can't stand to hear them call a game. Am i alone here?
          I watched the trailblazers raptors preseason game 2018. the commentators would not shut up with stories. They paid absolutely no attention to the game. I absolutely hated it. If I could mute them and at least hear the sound at the court I could at least tell what was going on. Jack would have a conniption screaming like a girl when the Raptors Made a good play And had nothing to say at all when the trailblazers did anything. Talking about dad and high school coaches in high school game, come on give me a break shut the F up. Totally unprofessional in my opinion why are they even given microphones?

Comment

Letstryhonesty wrote: View Post
            I watched the trailblazers raptors preseason game 2018. the commentators would not shut up with stories. They paid absolutely no attention to the game. I absolutely hated it. If I could mute them and at least hear the sound at the court I could at least tell what was going on. Jack would have a conniption screaming like a girl when the Raptors Made a good play And had nothing to say at all when the trailblazers did anything. Talking about dad and high school coaches in high school game, come on give me a break shut the F up. Totally unprofessional in my opinion why are they even given microphones?
            Ehhhh they were terrible today but even announcers need some time to get into game shape.

Comment

I find Jack quite entertaining, though as with anyone you listen to for awhile, it can get old. Listening to announcers from other teams/sports, I also find that plenty of them get on my nerves, and for me Jack and Matt have a comforting familiarity, and are really not too bad.

Matt is a huge improvement from the Swirsk (who I still loved, but let's face it....), and is generally a professional. He can be a bit over the top sometimes, but I find him overall a pretty decent announcer, as these things go.

Leo has a unique ability to make an extremely exciting basketball game sound like he is commentating on someone washing the dishes or mowing their lawn.

Gotta disagree with the appreciation of Pat Tabler above. To me, he shares Leo's ability to make things bland as hell, and I rarely hear a lot of insight from him. Dan Shulman is great, as is Buck. At least the human bingo caller Jamie Campbell got demoted some years back to the side-show with Greg Zaun et al. (which by the way was another funny combination, wherein both guys seemed to genuinely not get along at all).

As things go, I actually like our commentators, except Leo. But it's too late to just get rid of Leo, I mean he's been with the team since what, 1995....? Sometimes your bed is made and you just gotta lie in it. Matt and Jack are great though. Sports are meant to be entertaining.

Comment

Matt and Jack fool around more when the game doesn't mean anything or is completely out of reach. I don't mind.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Raptors are probably one of the better ones (as long as Leo isn't on - he makes me fall asleep). Cavs have one of the worst; glad I don't have to hear "L-Train" anymore.

Comment

Chuck was garbage. Salami and Cheese stuff was too over the top. I'm glad he got caught cheating and had to move back to USA to prevent his marriage from falling apart (which it did in the end since he was a cheating bastard).

Comment

Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                      Chuck was garbage. Salami and Cheese stuff was too over the top. I'm glad he got caught cheating and had to move back to USA to prevent his marriage from falling apart (which it did in the end since he was a cheating bastard).
                      What? I do not know this story. Please elaborate.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

Machine wrote: View Post

No..dont..picturing chuck swirsky breaking out his "salami and cheese" is more than enough information already
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Machine wrote: View Post

The story that was circulating at the time (about 8 years ago), was that his wife was heading back to Chicago to be with her family. She was heading back no matter what and Chuck could either stay or go back with her. The reason why she gave this ultimatum was because Chuck was having an affair with a local lady.

Keep in mind his daughter was also sick at the time, so he mentioned that he wanted to go back to the USA to get her medical treatment (As the Canadian Health Care doesn't allow cuts in line).

Its not 100% validated, but he did end up getting a divorce in the end.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            No..dont..picturing chuck swirsky breaking out his "salami and cheese" is more than enough information already

Comment

Jack has a job for life... as long as he's able to make the round trip from his house in Lewiston, NY to Toronto 41 times a year (plus playoffs), he's good.

Comment

I love Jacko. His chemistry is so good with Matt, especially when they start insulting each other. Jack's breakdowns are some of the best, especially from a broadcast side.

He rarely stutters, knows what he's breaking down as it happens, and he's incredibly unique with that good ol' Brooklyn slang on the mic.

Leo, on the other hand.... For god's sakes, I fall asleep 45 seconds in the first quarter. Stutters, struggles to find the correct adjectives to describe what's happening... I'd rather have Sam Mitchell on the broadcast, lol.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X