Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Raptors Become the Northern Spurs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    It's hard to copy success in the NBA since most champions had a super star (or two) on them. Pistons '05 is probably the closest but even they had a great roster.

But I understand the connection to the Spurs. The Spurs are one of the only teams that use their farm system to produce talent. Without the ability to attract star talent like the Spurs (with LMA being the exception).. this is not a bad way to do things.
    Spurs didn't become a free agent destination without drafting Duncan and Kawhi. Every team, basically without exception, doesn't attract talent without first having talent that was forced to play on the team lol. LA, New York slight exceptions because they're the glamour cities of North America but even that is more said that actually true
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Spurs are a once in a lifetime team -- no team has kept up that level of success for nearly 30 years by being either 1st or 2nd in their division since 1989 (except 96-97 when they were last but netted them Duncan the next year)... not the Bulls... not the Knicks... not the Lakers... not the 76ers... not the Celtics... nobody. Not even in sports... no team in sports has been able to do that for nearly 30 years.

Once Pops leaves, that team will be average again.
      Last edited by sanyo; Tue Dec 5, 2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

sanyo wrote: View Post
        Spurs are a once in a lifetime team -- no team has kept up that level of success for nearly 30 years by being either 1st or 2nd in their division since 1989 (except 96-97 when they were last but netted them Duncan the next year)... not the Bulls... not the Knicks... not the Lakers... not the 76ers... not the Celtics... nobody. Not even in sports... no team in sports has been able to do that for nearly 30 years.

Once Pops leaves, that team will be average again.
        It's pretty crazy to see how remarkable the Spurs have been. Red Wings in the NHL and Patriots in the NFL come the closest, but even those franchises don't sniff what the Spurs have done.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
          That philosophy clearly started a few years back. After the Lowry trade got axed and the team became good MU kept rolling with the same core we have now. The only thin thats really changed this season is a greater emphasis on ball movement.
          The value of drafting and developing players goes back to when Ujiri started in Toronto. MLSE did a massive review of their sports teams when Leiweke arrived that involved all sorts of consultants and both the Leafs and Raps have, in one way or another, stuck with the basic approach of what came out of those consultations. The Raps just got better quicker cause of Derozan and Lowry, whereas, the Leafs didn't have that talent.

Comment

My point was that the Raptors are clearly adopting the continuity/development approach which in the basketball world most resembles the Spurs. Getting over the top to win a championship likely will require somehow acquiring a great player, or have a really good player having a career year. Popovich has said in multiple interviews that his success and reputation were entirely based on having Tim Duncan arrive just after he did. That of course is only half true but the point is taken. Golden State however were very, very lucky in having 3 draft picks (Curry, Thompson and Green) turn out to be much better than expected. The phenomenon of the ring seeking superstar is relatively new but seems to be here for good. So Toronto would have to appear very close to winning and be otherwise attractive to pull a big star. The city itself should be a draw; one of the largest in North America, the most cosmopolitan outside of NYC and probably the least racist in the league. The main issue is the lack of media coverage outside of Toronto. Even here is western Canada it is difficult to get even one screen showing Raptors in a sports bar if hockey is on. I hope the ownership is willing to go into luxury tax and NOT have to give up any more draft choices. I can't see any way this team will be in a lottery for a long time to come; even based on what young players they have now. I'm really enjoying this team and this approach. Like others I have had my nights yelling and cursing at DC for starting Scola, Carroll etc and allowing the Demar iso ball. But so far this year the "culture change" seems for real. Stephens will be everyone's coach of the year but I think Casey is right up there (so far) is the running.

Comment

Win just one championship then we can talk. Otherwise no.

Comment

Mitch P wrote: View Post
                My point was that the Raptors are clearly adopting the continuity/development approach which in the basketball world most resembles the Spurs. Getting over the top to win a championship likely will require somehow acquiring a great player, or have a really good player having a career year. .
                It's a fine point, but I think my concern would be that labelling ourselves the Northern Spurs might lead to a false sense of accomplishment and, in turn, complacency.

Getting over the top and somehow acquiring a great player is the fundamental team-building question in the NBA. It's not a side note... it's the main question. Given our salary position, it's likely that over the first seven years of Masai's tenure, our most significant free agent acquisition will end up being DeMarre Carroll.

The other two methods of acquiring a great player are via trade and the draft. We've seen multiple stars trade teams over the last four years, particularly in the last year, and our most significant acquisition was Serge Ibaka. Solid, but likely not a championship-winning piece. We don't have a pick and Norm is not tradeable, so it's hard to see a package that could land a star this year, unless we get lucky and the Pelicans or Thunder decide to cut loose Cousins or George.

I can't see any way this team will be in a lottery for a long time to come
                So this goes back to the overall question: Can you build a championship level team without being in the lottery? Houston has done it, but Houston benefits greatly from its weather and from having no state tax. If we spend the next five years winning fifty games, what does that mean for the likelihood of championship contention? Will we be just good enough... or can we be great?

Comment

Well we're kind of like the present Spurs. Really good team. Highly unlikely to win the NBA championship.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                  X