Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 180

Thread: Game #43 Toronto Raptors 96 - Detroit Pistons 91

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    10,575
    Likes (Given)
    806
    Likes (Received)
    1888

    Default Game #43 Toronto Raptors 96 - Detroit Pistons 91

    The Toronto Raptors are reeling a bit after two tough losses, and will look to bounce back against the similarly struggling Pistons. The Raps are halfway through what might be their toughest six game stretch of the season, so they will definitely want to right the ship with a back to back against the Spurs and Timberwolves looming.



    PROJECTED STARTERS
































    KEYS TO THE GAME

    1. Tip-off: The Raptors had an awful first half against the Warriors before a great second half where they almost got the win. The Raptors had an awful first three quarters against the Sixers before a much better 4th quarter where they almost got the win. Logically, this seems to indicate that if the Raptors can play well from the start, they have a good chance of getting the win

    2. Front and Centre: The JV-Drummond matchup is always the one that gets pointed out when the Raptors play Detroit, and for good reason: if JV can hold his own on the inside, that neutralizes Detroit's biggest threat. We'll see if Jonas can "welcome Drummond to Lithuania", as Matt Devlin would say

    3. Eastern Tilt: Similar to Milwaukee and Philadelphia, the Pistons are solidly in the 4th-9th seed range and are a definite potential playoff matchup for the Raptors. This is a game that can be used to both build on the cushion between us and them, and also send a message before spring rolls around. The Raps got it done against the Bucks, but faltered against Philly. Let's see if they can handle Detroit




    LET'S GO RAPS!!!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran Zainab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,020
    Likes (Given)
    657
    Likes (Received)
    698

    Default

    I was almost about to post my thread.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    469
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    99

    Default

    For a newcomer I'm curious how you all decide who is going to post the game thread. I'm not technically savvy so it would never be me. It there a plan or some traditions?

    I'm watching the Pelicans up on the Celts as I write...hoping they can hang on. The Raptors really need to try and make up some ground and then beat Boston soundly in the head to heads. That top seed would be beautiful. I worry about this Detroit game; mainly because they are so wildly inconsistent. I have the feeling they could have a hot game and beat us badly...which could set off (or continue I guess) a slump. The Spurs will obviously be difficult and Minny might actually be one of the best 4 teams in the league right now. So whatever it takes...JV and Poeltl keeping Drummond down, Demar playing sound and smart and the bench gang showing their intensity. If Kyle's butt isn't right he shouldn't play.
    Last edited by Mitch P; Tue Jan 16th, 2018 at 08:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran consmap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7,831
    Likes (Given)
    1950
    Likes (Received)
    2023

    Default

    Quote Zainab wrote: View Post
    I was almost about to post my thread.
    We're resting you for the playoffs
    OG is our king

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran Zainab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,020
    Likes (Given)
    657
    Likes (Received)
    698

    Default

    Quote Mitch P wrote: View Post
    For a newcomer I'm curious how you all decide who is going to post the game thread. I'm not technically savvy so it would never be me. It there a plan or some traditions?

    I'm watching the Pelicans up on the Celts as I write...hoping they can hang on. The Raptors really need to try and make up some ground and then beat Boston soundly in the head to heads. That top seed would be beautiful. I worry about this Detroit game; mainly because they are so wildly inconsistent. I have the feeling they could have a hot game and beat us badly...which could set off (or continue I guess) a slump. The Spurs will obviously be difficult and Minny might actually be one of the best 4 teams in the league right now. So whatever it takes...JV and Poeltl keeping Drummond down, Demar playing sound and smart and the bench gang showing their intensity. If Kyle's butt isn't right he shouldn't play.
    Well, anyone can make a thread but if you lose a game then you don't make the next thread cuz your streak just ended.

    But, we should make a schedule so that my beautiful threads don't go to waste. And, obviously my threads mean pressure so all the games I've ever started they have been super competitive. I grant myself the title of "GT Fav"

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25,955
    Likes (Given)
    2467
    Likes (Received)
    6123

    Default


  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,175
    Likes (Given)
    1077
    Likes (Received)
    1000

    Default

    Let’s hope the Raps take the momentum of a Celtics loss to start the game tomorrow. And our next, next, next opponent (Minny) just lost to Orlando.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,175
    Likes (Given)
    1077
    Likes (Received)
    1000

    Default

    Quote Zainab wrote: View Post
    Well, anyone can make a thread but if you lose a game then you don't make the next thread cuz your streak just ended.

    But, we should make a schedule so that my beautiful threads don't go to waste. And, obviously my threads mean pressure so all the games I've ever started they have been super competitive. I grant myself the title of "GT Fav"
    http://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/sh...thread+leaders

    I believe were tied . Ill have to play catch up this year.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    10,575
    Likes (Given)
    806
    Likes (Received)
    1888

    Default

    Quote Zainab wrote: View Post
    Well, anyone can make a thread but if you lose a game then you don't make the next thread cuz your streak just ended.

    But, we should make a schedule so that my beautiful threads don't go to waste. And, obviously my threads mean pressure so all the games I've ever started they have been super competitive. I grant myself the title of "GT Fav"
    "GT fav"? I had a five-game win streak before your little two-game run, I don't think you can give yourself a title like that
    Last edited by 007; Tue Jan 16th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    469
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    99

    Default

    Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but this might bot be the best time to try and run a winning streak. I mean you "thread guys", not the Raptors but I guess really that's the same thing. At least Boston lost tonight. New Orleans showed that the Raptors aren't the only team that can'c close games. Their sets were pure garbage and there was no way that game should have ended up in OT. I really expected the Celtics to somehow pull it off again but their offence was really bad too. Lets hope this starts them on a nice dive.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    469
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    99

    Default

    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    That was a crazy punch Afflalo took. The kind that breaks your hand...not the other guys's face. Tempers have been running very high of late. I'll have to watch some old Ron Artest/Pistons videos to get ready for tomorrow night.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13,610
    Likes (Given)
    3268
    Likes (Received)
    5710

    Default

    Quote Mitch P wrote: View Post
    That was a crazy punch Afflalo took. The kind that breaks your hand...not the other guys's face. Tempers have been running very high of late. I'll have to watch some old Ron Artest/Pistons videos to get ready for tomorrow night.
    He got punked. He started it, missed badly and got head locked haha. By a euro yet
    And suddenly the man, who fancied himself a God, felt a very human chill crawl up his spine.

    #KingDethroned

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25,955
    Likes (Given)
    2467
    Likes (Received)
    6123

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    He got punked. He started it, missed badly and got head locked haha. By a euro yet
    And he's going to get suspended for 3-7 games, haha

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,072
    Likes (Given)
    990
    Likes (Received)
    1255

    Default

    Quote Mitch P wrote: View Post
    Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but this might bot be the best time to try and run a winning streak. I mean you "thread guys", not the Raptors but I guess really that's the same thing. At least Boston lost tonight. New Orleans showed that the Raptors aren't the only team that can'c close games. Their sets were pure garbage and there was no way that game should have ended up in OT. I really expected the Celtics to somehow pull it off again but their offence was really bad too. Lets hope this starts them on a nice dive.
    The Celtics offense is Kyrie Irving... and he was off tonight...going 8 for 24.

    Its a loooong season and Irving is not exactly the poster child for durability. He may be wearing down a bit as he has carried the mail for the Chowderheads night in and night out all year.

    He is very likely going to the All Star game and won't get that break for some down time. They might start to give him some more rest over the 2nd half of the season to avoid an injury.... and when they do .. its going to be tougher to generate points as he is pretty much the sole creator on that team.

    It might come down to that last game in April between the Raps and Celts for first in the East.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,265
    Likes (Given)
    1012
    Likes (Received)
    1241

    Default

    Weird - 8 of the 9 teams in the league with the best records are on a losing streak.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    13,791
    Likes (Given)
    855
    Likes (Received)
    2811

    Default

    Afflalo doesn't even know how to throw a punch. SMH.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,930
    Likes (Given)
    580
    Likes (Received)
    982

    Default

    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    I was ready for the Rock-bottom on Afflalo.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    13,800
    Likes (Given)
    4391
    Likes (Received)
    8323

    Default

    Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Weird - 8 of the 9 teams in the league with the best records are on a losing streak.
    Mid-season lulls aplenty. This is the dangerous stretch of the season for good teams - hard to give a damn from here until the all star break.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran Zainab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,020
    Likes (Given)
    657
    Likes (Received)
    698

    Default

    Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    "GT fav"? I had a five-game win streak before your little two-game run, I don't think you can give yourself a title like that
    I'm talking over the years - past 4/5 years. And, look at the two teams that we came out to play against. If I was putting on a thread with those bottom feeder teams, we'd be like 980201 - 0. Just saying.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,735
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    238

    Default

    Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Weird - 8 of the 9 teams in the league with the best records are on a losing streak.
    They all peaked too early

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •