Tech Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Talk

Feel free to post anything tech in here. I'll kick this off with a new purchase I just made. So I have a Samsung S8 and I've had it for almost a year now. I've been ignoring a cool feature with Samsung's newer phones, especially the S8 due to its amazing screen: Virtual Reality.

I purchased a Gear VR headset with remote and this is my first foray into VR. It's blown me away that this basic lense headset plus my phone can produce such an amazing experience. It's difficult to explain how real some of the experiences feel with this thing on and a set of earbuds in. If you have a newer Samsung phone I highly recommend getting Gear VR. It's about $100 on Amazon for the headset.

Last night I took a trip to the international space station. Went on a roller coaster. Jumped out of a chopper. Snowboarded down a mountain. Followed Negan through a zombie invasion at his base.

Tonight Samsung is showing the Knicks Vs. the Lakers in VR. Unfortunately I'm gonna miss it but I'm going to do my best to take in a quarter at least.
    Last edited by Apollo; Sat Jan 20, 2018, 09:43 AM.

I’ve always wanted to try VR but it just seems like too much of a gimmick to actually invest any money into it.

Comment

Well if you have a Samsung phone we're talking $100-120 and you're in with a massive amount
      of free content. That's like one nice dinner out with your significant other.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Well if you have a Samsung phone we're talking $100-120 and you're in with a massive amount
        of free content. That's like one nice dinner out with your significant other.
        Going against the grain I have stuck with an Android OS vs the iOS....Its an A5 which seems to be enough....Is this VR capable ?
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

I'm afraid not, sorry. That particular phone doesn't have a gyroscope and it's an important component in VR working properly. I am seeing the following as compatible: S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, Note 5, S7, S7 Edge, Note Fan Edition, S8, S8 Plus, Note 8. I also read the Note 4 but I can't confirm.

My wife as a S7 and it works great and looks great on that phone. If you're looking to upgrade and you don't care about having the cutting edge technology then there's value to be found in that phone.

Comment

Yeah I’ve got an iPhone. Does this VR headset work on Apple? I’ve got a ps4 and apparently there’s a VR headset for that too but I’m pretty sure it’s quite expensive.

Comment

Research Google Cardboard. I'm not joking.

Comment

Comment

The article said "However, the panel are backing Atlanta or Northern Virginia as the markets most likely to tempt Amazon.".

I am not so sure about Atlanta after their local state govt. threatened Delta Airlines re the NRA kerfuffle. Delta might well move which would be a bad outcome for the city/state. I would think that N. Virginia would be a better choice among the two. But who knows about Toronto ....boy that would be a coup! The city has much to offer infrastructure wise.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    The article said "However, the panel are backing Atlanta or Northern Virginia as the markets most likely to tempt Amazon.".

I am not so sure about Atlanta after their local state govt. threatened Delta Airlines re the NRA kerfuffle. Delta might well move which would be a bad outcome for the city/state. I would think that N. Virginia would be a better choice among the two. But who knows about Toronto ....boy that would be a coup! The city has much to offer infrastructure wise.
                    Wasn't even a threat. They pulled their tax break on Jet Fuel costing them millions of dollars, all because they dropped their discount for NRA members. Absolutely ridiculous.

Governor of Virginia tweeted at Delta telling them to move to Virginia. So we'll see.

Comment

Microsoft is killing it in the Hardware space right now. Just introduced the Surface Hub 2.We have a couple of the Hub 1's at work and they're fantastic. This one looks like a huge step forward:

The whole Surface line is fantastic though as well... like I want all of them.

And then obviously the Surface Pro, and Surface Book Laptop, ALL of which are getting glowing reviews for build quality and overall experience. It's not easy to just become a hardware manufacturer, but seems like Microsoft pulled it off. Wish I invested in them before.
                      Last edited by Joey; Tue May 15, 2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                        Microsoft is killing it in the Hardware space right now. Just introduced the Surface Hub 2.We have a couple of the Hub 1's at work and they're fantastic. This one looks like a huge step forward:

The whole Surface line is fantastic though as well... like I want all of them.

And then obviously the Surface Pro, and Surface Book Laptop, ALL of which are getting glowing reviews for build quality and overall experience. It's not easy to just become a hardware manufacturer, but seems like Microsoft pulled it off. Wish I invested in them before.
                        agreed, satya is the best tech ceo right now in my opinion. microsoft has been on a huge roll since he took over.

Comment

Any audiophiles in the group? Looking for a good set of wireless headphones that has great bass.

Best ones I've come across so far are the Skullcandy Crushers, but I'm hesitating at spending $200. I've never spent more than $40 for headphones, lol.

Comment

Full disclosure: I am just joshing here (in case you haven't tried these). Outrageous pricing but "outrageous" sound. I am no audiophile but I like my music loud quite often.

With the prelims out of the way ... have you tried these babes @ $450? Was in a Bose store and gave it a listen and gracious me!
                            Just using a an older pair of Sennheisers.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/h...qc35_ii_silver

ps... was perusing the local Kijiji site ... did a quick availability... I get some of my toys here ... much cheaper.. just have to be a bit careful... no taxes

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-headphones/g...k0c770l1700272

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-headphones/g...k0c770l1700272

Good luck.
                            Last edited by Bendit; Tue Nov 13, 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Anyone get anything cool for Christmas Tech wise?

My wife hooked me up with a Huawei P20 Pro. I've been living in the dark ages and using a land line before now. She got that converted to a cell.

Pretty cool phone. Has three cameras. Going to have to take a lot of pictures now.

Comment

Working...
                              X