Tech Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Any audiophiles in the group? Looking for a good set of wireless headphones that has great bass.

Best ones I've come across so far are the Skullcandy Crushers, but I'm hesitating at spending $200. I've never spent more than $40 for headphones, lol.

Did you get yourself a new pair?

This post is about my personal discovery of sound enhancement I have come upon quite accidentally actually. The Dolby Atmos App .... which has transformed my cheap Sony headphones from it's previous quite pedestrian stereo output to that of a spatial 7.1 surround sound experience pumped into my head. In a word I am quite stunned ... but then again I have never been much of an audiophile.

I am sure many may have come across this already. My "accident"? .... just got myself a replacement laptop (Lenovo) with Win 10 and preload of Dolby Atmos intro/invite to download the app. Gamers will like this immersive sound system .... but as I understand it Lenovo, Microsoft Win10 and Dolby have collaborated to introduce this into the laptop/XBox world.

I had to download the app thru an automated process, no troubles with a couple of settings changes to my headphones in the audio devices area of Win10. And away I went. Some of the vids Dolby presented (eg Tomb Raider etc) were amazing I thought. I then found a few music youtube vids done with the Dolby process and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen was the best I had ever heard. There isn't much but I have to assume this will increase.

So, I am working with a trial download, free for 30 days... and $19 for a buy. I suppose I am going to have to consider a nice pair of hdphones as well However paradoxically I wonder if an upgrade of earphones would be more than just a marginal improvement now with the Dolby s/w enhancement.

One more item... since the Xbox is involved, there is hdmi connectivity with the xbox and/or to a sound system/sound bar with hdmi. Have not followed this trail yet.

Give it a try if you haven't already.

Comment

I ended up going with the Skullcandy Crushers, AND the Jabra Move Wireless. The latter I reserve for the gym.

I actually prefer the sound of the Jabra. The artificial bass on the Skullcandy is a bit much, but thankfully there's a slider to control the level of rumble.

But that Dolby App sounds interesting. I'll check it out!

Comment

I had a chance to listen thru a Cowin set ... wasnt bad and quite comfy w/bluetooth/overears/noise elim.. I gave them as a gift at xmas ...around $80 at Amazon.

Comment

A Jenga playing robot developed at MIT...

Comment

OK, so my 10 year old son wants to become a youtuber gamer, and as his tech-support dad, I'm wondering if anybody has an experience with that, especially capture boxes and stuff. We're a Linux family, so no windows, macs or iphones in the house, only linux, android and various gaming consoles.

Anybody have any experience streaming or recording gameplay with consoles and/or Linux or Android?

Comment

Also, video cameras that can serve as a webcam as well as a portable camera, that are not too expensive and easy to use? Suggestions?

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                Also, video cameras that can serve as a webcam as well as a portable camera, that are not too expensive and easy to use? Suggestions?
                Sorry I cannot offer anything substantive in terms of "how to" since I am neither a Linux user nor dabbler in the video arts! However I occasionally get ad mailings from an outfit called FactoryDirect ( https://www.factorydirect.ca/ ) ... they tend to have sales of electronic equip on the cheap (over runs). I have seen video stuff/cameras etc. They have a string of locs in the GTA and some other towns. Check them out.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks a folding phone is kind of stupid? Plus you're like 1/4 of the way to $10,000 to buy one (tax in).

I can buy a pretty badass PC on that budget.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Am I the only one who thinks a folding phone is kind of stupid? Plus you're like 1/4 of the way to $10,000 to buy one (tax in).

I can buy a pretty badass PC on that budget.
                    Crazy. Overload. Now a status symbol product I think. I can see boardroom meetings with someone plunking down one of these babies on the table, opening it up and then ...taking in the ooohs

Comment

The only foldable I would accept at this point is classic:
                      Image result for motorola razr

Ya, so I caved and got the new Apple Airpods (hate the name, obviously should have been Airbuds, but I guess maybe Disney has the Trademark on that?) and I gotta say ... they're sooo typically Apple, in the best way possible. The convenience of them is just crazy, and build quality is unmatched. And despite alot of the criticism I heard around their sound quality (most notably lacking bass), I've noticed no such thing - I think they sound fantastic. And it's amazing because you literally don't even notice you're wearing them. I'll leave them in sometimes with no music playing just because I forget to take them out. Lol

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                        The only foldable I would accept at this point is classic:
                        Image result for motorola razr
                        Well shit, they did it ... the madmen actually did ... and it's so god damn nice ... the only phone I would switch to Android for.

Comment

Not sure if there was a dedicated thread/sub-forum for TVs.

I just splurged on an Oled ... a Sony A9G.

Wondering if anyone here has this unit ... looking for some info/guidance on some picture settings. Thanks.

Comment

This is pretty fricken cool.. wish I could get this when I was a kid back in the day:

$700 USD is the apparent price point. So yeah, a bit much, but probably worth it

Comment

These guys are literally going to change the world I think:

Comment

dont really get the worry with the crypto stuff. it happens all the time, just teething. will be back up in a year or so

Comment

Working...
                                X