Likes Likes:  3,625
Page 1 of 410 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything 2018 Off Season

Raptors Republic Superstar Maury's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Everything 2018 Off Season

Yes itís a bit early for this thread but the trade deadline has passed and itís time for us to speculate about something new. We have Fred hitting free agency, but other than that our team is likely to remain the same. Do we trade Norm and JV for a star? Do we trade CJ to open up minutes for Norm?

What happens if we totally flame out of the playoffs? What if we make the finals?

Iíd wager nothing really changes and we do our best to bring back Fred. Maybe we trade CJ but unless a serious star is available and a package around JV, Norm and a pick could get it done, weíre standing pat. That being said you never know whatís going to happen.

Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC we're something like $7 million over the tax line without factoring in Bebe or Fred so unless we want to pay the tax I don't think we'll stand pat. I could see us going over for a star but if none is available I don't think everyone will be back.

But again this is predicated on the market. I thought JV would be traded this year but with cap space at such a premium I don't know if we can even shed salary without sacrificing assets.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Posted this a minute ago in the cap thread:

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately, the full MLE initiates a hard cap, and since we will be over that line in all likelihood, we will likely be restricted to the tax-payer's MLE, which is just over half as valuable ($5.3M or so, only 3 seasons, not 4) as the full MLE.

We have a trade exception from the Carroll trade (11.8M) that is good until July 13th this summer. We also have a Cory Joseph exception (originally worth 7.63M) which expires one day later. I believe the Raptors used part of that CoJo exception in the Bruno trade, so now it is only worth 6.125M, and they created a new 2.45M exception that expires on the 8th of February next season.

Yes, the Raptors are currently lined up with the current roster, letting all FA's walk, and filling out the 14 roster spots with minimum salaries, to have a total team salary of 131M, which comes with a tax bill of 15M, making for a total roster cost of 146M. If, for example, FVV gets a full MLE offer and the Raptors match that offer, those numbers would increase to 138M, 33M in tax, and a total bill of 171M. So FVV at the MLE costs the team 25M. Similarly, a tax-MLE signing (5.3M) would actually cost the team 14M.
    Tax line is projected at 121.6 by my calculations.

I predict we pay the tax for essentially this team, with the only question being whether Fred or Norm stays (I don't think they go up to that 170M roster cost, so if we keep Fred, we have to find a landing place for Norm, which may be difficult).

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Masai might try to trade Powell for a guy that has has a large partially guaranteed contract. Say Al Jefferson from Indiana. He makes $10M next season but only $4M is guaranteed. Trade Powell and a 2nd for AJ and then waive Al. We could save about $5M and use that for Fred's extension.

Should be a few players like that around the league.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Masai might try to trade Powell for a guy that has has a large partially guaranteed contract. Say Al Jefferson from Indiana. He makes $10M next season but only $4M is guaranteed. Trade Powell and a 2nd for AJ and then waive Al. We could save about $5M and use that for Fred's extension.

Should be a few players like that around the league.
    Partial guarantee contracts only count as the guarantee in trades now. So it's not quite as easy to make that work anymore. Indy currently projects over the cap in the summer so that deal wouldn't work (it works from our perspective but not theirs).

But, Powell can be traded in the spring and counts as only his small current salary. So that's the time to move him if you want off his contract. Very easy to match salaries at the draft.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poeltl would be a year better. It's pretty obvious who they would try to move. Same guy who was in trade talk yesterday.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Poeltl would be a year better. It's pretty obvious who they would try to move. Same guy who was in trade talk yesterday.

Who? Bruno?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you been watching the games lately or are you going back to 2014/15 season to watch your man Lou Will launch?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Maury wrote: View Post
    Have you been watching the games lately or are you going back to 2014/15 season to watch your man Lou Will launch?
    JV has been playing his best ball of his career but, raps were still in the mix for DAJ services. That should tell you something.

@Chr1st1anL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JV has been playing his best ball of his career but, raps were still in the mix for DAJ services. That should tell you something.

The fact that we didnít make the move should tell you something. Masai would never leak that kind of info, it was probably on the clips side to drum up interest and raise the value of DJ. Thereís a reason Masai didnít trade JV because he could have.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Maury wrote: View Post
    The fact that we didnít make the move should tell you something. Masai would never leak that kind of info, it was probably on the clips side to drum up interest and raise the value of DJ. Thereís a reason Masai didnít trade JV because he could have.
    Ibaka got leaked, Tucker got leaked. Marc Spears is also well resoected around the league. Where there is smoke there is fire. The fact that Raps made a call with the way JV is playing says a lot to me. That's just me though. Maybe the clippers didn't like our offer. They really wanted a 1st and we dont have those.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:40 PM.
    @Chr1st1anL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ibaka got leaked, Tucker got leaked. Marc Spears is also well resoected around the league. Where there is smoke there is fire. The fact that Raps made a call with the way JV is playing says a lot to me. That's just me though. Maybe the clippers didn't like our offer. They really wanted a 1st and we dont have those.

I thought it was Stein not Spears.. but is it possible the trade scenario involved Ibaka and not JV? Maybe Masai wanted out from Ibaka's deal early and was willing to get an expiring contract for him. Ibaka has not been that great this year. Definitely not as good as JV has been.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also you can't trade JV for DJ straight up.. you would have to include a bench piece which makes us worse. I would be surprised if Masai was wiling to break up his bench for a guy that could walk in the summer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it was Stein not Spears.. but is it possible the trade scenario involved Ibaka and not JV? Maybe Masai wanted out from Ibaka's deal early and was willing to get an expiring contract for him. Ibaka has not been that great this year. Definitely not as good as JV has been.
    I would say that they have both had stretches of bad play and very good play. Which is why they are role players. Inregards to Ibaka being in the trade that just makes no sense on the court. We tried playing two centers last year which lead us to getting Ibaka.

@Chr1st1anL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say that they have both had stretches of bad play and very good play. Which is why they are role players. Inregards to Ibaka being in the trade that just makes no sense on the court. We tried playing two centers last year which lead us to getting Ibaka.

Bring JV off the bench, and have Poeltl ride it longer. Use Siakam or CJ in the starting unit. Lots of options actually.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bring JV off the bench, and have Poeltl ride it longer. Use Siakam or CJ in the starting unit. Lots of options actually.
    Than you only have one legit shooter with Lowry starting.

@Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wasn't he FOR SURE gone by the deadline? Or FOR SURE last offseason?

I dunno, he just keeps surviving these deadlines you declare
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Than you only have one legit shooter with Lowry starting.

CJ can shoot.. he'd be the starting 4 next to DJ. JV subs in for DJ instead of Poeltl. Poeltl gets like 5-6 mpg. Then we pivot in the summer if DJ walks. If he resigns then we look for a trade partner for either JV or Poeltl for a better 4.

The point I'm making is we can't assume that the DJ trade talk had anything to do with JV. It might have.. but it could have been to save money. And the easiest target would have been Ibaka who makes more than JV and can be traded for DJ without giving up other assets.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Wasn't he FOR SURE gone by the deadline? Or FOR SURE last offseason?

I dunno, he just keeps surviving these deadlines you declare
    Only said it would be his last season on the club. I still belive that. Tried to get their guy DAJ but, clips wouldn't bite. They say the third time is the charm.

@Chr1st1anL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey, I proposed the Ibaka-for-DAJ talk originally, but the far more likely scenario is that the Clips leaked a fake rumour to try to drive up the price on DAJ. They clearly weren't getting the bites they wanted and got desperate close to the deadline. Heck, the rumour didn't even mention specifics, just "Raptors trying to get into the talks." Considering the Clips didn't manage to move him at all, I'd be surprised if trying to get into the talks would have been all that hard.

Page 1 of 410 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information