This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Not claiming anything to be true. Just stating a personal opinion that's held by many. I think athletes do have a responsibility to be role models. And the more that is given to them as an athlete, the more responsibility they have. Jordan reached a pinnacle that few athletes will ever achieve... even Lebron isn't there yet. And MJ did barely anything with that platform to improve society while he had the chance. Sure, MJ wasn't obligated to do anything, and that's exactly what he did... nothing, except be seen in Nike ads. Just my opinion, but almost every athlete you see today talks about being honored and grateful for the platform they've been given to be able to do greater things than just basketball. Nobody had a bigger platform than Jordan and he got criticized for doing nothing with it. You don't agree with that... no problem.
    Having a platform and being competent to use it are two different things. Most celebrities embarass themselves when they open their moths to express an opinion about something they know nothing about. Jordan could have spoken about racial equality because he probably had an insight into it that was worth sharing. But he was under absolutley no obligation to do so and if he had he could have had that platform jerked out from under him. Being able to entertain gives you no more knowledge or wisdom than any other person on the street. I don't want people off of the street shouting at me about moral obligations. If I want to know about something I study it and do research produced by competent people. Last thin I need is Brad Pitt or Taylor Swift or LeBron James suggesting to me what I should do based on their vasdst world knowledge.

Comment

• Quiet off-season. Not much basketball related stuff to talk about.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Speaking out on the social issues of the day could have cost him and his family millions. When a million ws a lot of money. LeBron might not speak out if it was going to cost him $200 - 300 million dollars over his lifetime. Reference my post above about the times people live in.

"...Hodges told the sport’s two leading players that the Bulls and Lakers should sit out the opening game, so “we would stand in solidarity with the black community while calling out racism and economic inequality in the NBA, where there were no black owners and almost no black coaches despite the fact that 75% of the players in the league were African American”..."Jordan told Hodges he was “crazy” while Johnson said: “That’s too extreme, man.”

"After game two of the 1992 championship final against Portland, Hodges was asked about the NBA’s lack of black owners. He spoke out against racism in the NBA, and across America, and criticised Jordan for failing to address the judicial injustice towards King.

The New York Times ran the story; and Hodges’ career was effectively over. "

Easy to be a social Justice Warrior when there are no penalties.
        Lol. Maybe Jordan’s secret social cause was feeding Latrell Sprewell’s children?

Let’s face it folks, Jordan on the court was the goat but Jordan off the court, was the sheep. Except for that embarassingly self centred HoF speech where he chose to use his platform to vindictively lash out at anybody who pissed him off during his career.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          He's paving the way for a political career
          I'm thinking the same thing.

Comment

• Comment

No way 76ers belong ahead of the Rockets. 4th for Raps is fine, but 3 and 5 need to switch. 76ers are getting hyped but the fact is they need perimeter shooting badly. Simmons can be sagged off to Rondo levels, Embiid isn't really a threat from deep, and Fultz is a complete wildcard. Reddick and Saric are the only reasonable threats from outside - until that gets fixed, spacing is going to be an issue for them, as is defence.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

It's better than "other"

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  No way 76ers belong ahead of the Rockets. 4th for Raps is fine, but 3 and 5 need to switch. 76ers are getting hyped but the fact is they need perimeter shooting badly. Simmons can be sagged off to Rondo levels, Embiid isn't really a threat from deep, and Fultz is a complete wildcard. Reddick and Saric are the only reasonable threats from outside - until that gets fixed, spacing is going to be an issue for them, as is defence.
                  Yeah everyone anointing 76ers as world beaters waaaaay too prematurely. They only got as far as the Raptors last year, and were eliminated by a worse team.

Comment

My top 10:
                    1. Warriors
                    2. Rockets
                    3. Celtics
                    4. Raptors
                    5. Jazz
                    6. Thunder
                    7. Lakers
                    8. 76'ers
                    9. Pacers
                    10. Nuggets

Comment

• Weird to see the Raptors so high in a pre-season ranking.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Weird to see the Raptors so high in a pre-season ranking.
                        No, what's weird is that the vast majority of U.S media criticized the trade for Kawhi initially but now when you look at the Raptor's roster in comparison to others, they can't help by silently approve or they will look really silly.

Comment

• Switch Rockets and Sixers and it’s good to go.

Comment

• Why the hell are the Sixers ranked 3rd?

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                              Why the hell are the Sixers ranked 3rd?
                              I believe the term is "hype"
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                                Why the hell are the Sixers ranked 3rd?

Comment

Working...
                                X