This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Maybe he just didn't like how the 'social issues of the day' were typically framed and presented.

Maybe he felt he would be used as a pawn (a very, very, powerful one), and he didn't agree with some/many/all of the opinions of the people who were going to use him, so he steered clear of all of that.

Or maybe he just isn't politically oriented. Not everyone is.

You've created an idea of what you think his responsibility is, and you're imposing that on him.
    Yep, I am. With great power comes great responsibility.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      One thing you have to admire LBJ for... He has the platform to do great, great things.. and he's using it. Jordan had that same platform and did far less with what he could have done.

Really cool think Lebron's doing. Hopefully it works out.
      He's paving the way for a political career

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Yep, I am. With great power comes great responsibility.
        I've heard this somewhere!

The question is: what qualifies you to define what another's responsibility is?
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• People keep calling it "responsibility". He might feel it is given his background, but he's definitely not obligated to do this. He is going out of his way to do something amazing for those kids.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            He's paving the way for a political career
            2020: Trump
            2024: The Rock
            2028: Ivanka Trump
            2032: Chelsea Clinton
            2036: Lebron
            2040: Taylor Swift

Comment

I've heard this somewhere!

The question is: what qualifies you to define what another's responsibility is?
              The same as what qualifies you to question me.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                No Mark Cuban? Or will he be LeBron's VP?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  Sadly, this is much closer to reality than we'd like to admit. Zuckerberg has to be in there somewhere.

Comment

The same as what qualifies you to question me.
                    You're making a claim: 'I know this to be true'.

I'm asking for the evidence that would justify this claim.

These are very different!
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

You're making a claim: 'I know this to be true'.

I'm asking for the evidence that would justify this claim.

These are very different!
                      Not claiming anything to be true. Just stating a personal opinion that's held by many. I think athletes do have a responsibility to be role models. And the more that is given to them as an athlete, the more responsibility they have. Jordan reached a pinnacle that few athletes will ever achieve... even Lebron isn't there yet. And MJ did barely anything with that platform to improve society while he had the chance. Sure, MJ wasn't obligated to do anything, and that's exactly what he did... nothing, except be seen in Nike ads. Just my opinion, but almost every athlete you see today talks about being honored and grateful for the platform they've been given to be able to do greater things than just basketball. Nobody had a bigger platform than Jordan and he got criticized for doing nothing with it. You don't agree with that... no problem.

Comment

• I don't really think it's fair to hold these famous athletes to such a standard. Especially when regular people have basic but important responsibilities like voting and only 50% of people actually go on and vote. We don't hold ourselves to any sort of standard as people.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• So, are getting Chris Wood? Looking really good on the G-League. My vote would be him, then failing that, Trevor Booker or Brandan Wright would be my choices.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            No Mark Cuban? Or will he be LeBron's VP?
                            Cabinet post in The Rock's administration. Treasury Secretary. Him and Triple H, the obvious choice for Commerce Secretary, will tackle the national debt and entitlement spending.....

Comment

You're focussing on the money, but Jordan was the biggest celebrity athlete on the planet and he never spoke out social issues of the day. That didn't require any money at all, just simply to take a stand. Instead he chose to protect his image and his shoe selling enterprise. MJ is notorious for shirking that responsibility, especially as a black athlete. Instead of being the inspiration to today's black athletes, like Lebron, Jordan is the one who is following their lead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.74189d3b6763
                              Speaking out on the social issues of the day could have cost him and his family millions. When a million ws a lot of money. LeBron might not speak out if it was going to cost him $200 - 300 million dollars over his lifetime. Reference my post above about the times people live in.

"...Hodges told the sport’s two leading players that the Bulls and Lakers should sit out the opening game, so “we would stand in solidarity with the black community while calling out racism and economic inequality in the NBA, where there were no black owners and almost no black coaches despite the fact that 75% of the players in the league were African American”..."Jordan told Hodges he was “crazy” while Johnson said: “That’s too extreme, man.”

"After game two of the 1992 championship final against Portland, Hodges was asked about the NBA’s lack of black owners. He spoke out against racism in the NBA, and across America, and criticised Jordan for failing to address the judicial injustice towards King.

The New York Times ran the story; and Hodges’ career was effectively over. "

Easy to be a social Justice Warrior when there are no penalties.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                True or false, JV's defence is going to be scrutinized more this season than in the past?
                                Scrutinized ? Maybe.
                                Noticeable? Not as likely.
                                Basically we replaced (nice guy overall) doorman -Demar w an excellent defender.
                                What Im saying, not as nearly as much need to be great on D.

Comment

Working...
                                X