Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would personally and respectfully be pissed if both Demar and OG were included in this deal. Mainly for two reasons:

1. Giving both your top scorer and your top defender at the same time, will make this team rather weak and vulnerable, even with Leonard. It would hurt our chances to make the finals now, which is the only way we'd have a chance to retain Leonard to begin with.

2. All the signs point to no better offers out there. Even one single all-star for him, let alone an all-star + a high end prospect like OG. No need to give up the farm like this at all.

If I'm the Raptors I say: Pick one of the two, and we'll throw in another prospect and pick. If you want both, take a hike. Go see what Philly/Boston are putting on the table. If they're even remotely thinking of putting an all-star plus a high-end prospect, good for us, we indirectly made our lives in Eastern conference easier for years to come but having one of Boston or Philly get that much weaker after they give up all that, and Kawhi leaves them.

I'd love to have Kawhi, but you gotta draw a line somewhere.

I would be sad to see Demar go (if it comes to that), but I also realize it's probably the best way for the deal to move forward. I also realize that a closing lineup of Lowry/FVV/Leonard/OG/JV will be a nightmare for other teams in the east (on both ends of the floor), and would most likely get out of the East and make the finals.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      I don't think he gets a max after sitting out two seasons. I don't see that happening, and it's a huge risk.

Boogie just signed for $5 million coming off an injury. Teams are tentative with hurt guys, and it's a huge free agent class next summer with not a ton of cap space.
      Boogie signed for 5M coming off an injury in an environment where basically no one had cap space. He's also much closer to being around DeRozan's level as a player than Kawhi's and he's a malcontent. Kawhi is a top 5 player in the league, tons of teams have cap space next summer and the Lakers will definitely pay him the money required to sign him (if not the Clippers and others will).

Unless something concrete comes out saying that Kawhi has long-term health problems, he's getting the max next year regardless of whether he plays this year or not.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
        I think Barolt has a pretty strong argument actually. He has every incentive to prove his health and dominance. I don't think anyone maxes him if he sits out this year or plays on one leg.
        Ok so hypothetically Kawhi sits out the 2018-19 season and we hit 2019 FA. Lakers and Clippers both have more than max cap space. They aren't maxing him?

Really not sure what you guys are on about at the moment.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          This is the time to take a risk. Whether that's Kawhi or Butler, or some more random unexpected move.
          Just so I understand you. You are perfectly willing to trade whatever it takes, take a risk even if it means 4 or 5 years lost in the wilderness after?

I don't want to put words in your mouth is all. Where do you draw the line?

The position I have come to, and please feel free to challenge me on it because I certainly have wavered, is that I am willing to give up a lot, but not willing to go back to a total rebuild if it fails. I want assets around if we gamble.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Too bad Rob Babcock isnt the Spurs GM.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
              Ok so hypothetically Kawhi sits out the 2018-19 season and we hit 2019 FA. Lakers and Clippers both have more than max cap space. They aren't maxing him?

I really do believe that nobody maxes him without some form of proof of return to form. DeMarcus Cousins is a monster. He is playing for 5m this season.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

I can actually see the Lakers being a slim shot to pass on him if he has another tumultuous year, because they have LeBron and they are the Lakers so they could have other options if they get nervous about Kawhi. Again, I think it's slim, but they could definitely target other guys instead if they want.

Comment

I really do believe that nobody maxes him without some form of proof of return to form. DeMarcus Cousins is a monster. He is playing for 5m this season.
                  And just to add to this - why not play your ass off, even if you aren't where you want to be? He's in his prime, legacy matters to these guys.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• If Kawhi just finished a healthy, normal year and were not a flight risk, a DeRozan+ offer would be a hilarious underbid that would have no chance of getting him. The only reason DD can be a centrepiece for Kawhi right now is because KL just had an off year and is a flight risk.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• It will never happen but would love to see an open gym episode of the front office talking about the trade in the boardroom.

On another note raps have to be careful not to bid against themselves. If Boston, LA, and Philly are all out I haven’t heard of any other team in the running.

Comment

• I'm sorry but if Zach LaVine can get 4/84 coming off an ACL injury in a year where most teams are capped out, I'm really not sure how Kawhi doesn't get a max deal next summer.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          And just to add to this - why not play your ass off, even if you aren't where you want to be? He's in his prime, legacy matters to these guys.
                          Why didn't he play his ass off last year then?

Comment

If Kawhi craps the bed/sits out another year, he's going to have to pull a Boogie and take a one year discount deal to play his way into a bigger, long term deal. Hopefully he's got enough sense to just make use of this coming season instead.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              If Kawhi just finished a healthy, normal year and were not a flight risk, a DeRozan+ offer would be a hilarious underbid that would have no chance of getting him. The only reason DD can be a centrepiece for Kawhi right now is because KL just had an off year and is a flight risk.
                              Spurs offer Kawhi for DeMar, OG, 2019 1st right now, you accept that right?

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                If Kawhi craps the bed/sits out another year, he's going to have to pull a Boogie and take a one year discount deal to play his way into a bigger, long term deal. Hopefully he's got enough sense to just make use of this coming season instead.
                                You guys don't seem to understand the economics of why Boogie took a one year deal this season. There's more money available next offseason and he's coming off an injury known for severely damaging guys' careers. That won't be the case in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X