X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors out: Norman Powell
    Raptors in: Garrett Temple

- We acquire a decent backup SF who can backup Kawhi while moving OG to the PF position.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Lebron's doing all of this stuff while he's playing. Jordan didn't stand for anything during his playing days other than selling shoes. He even avoided taking any type of stand on any political issues. I'm sure MJ visited hospitals and schools and that standard charitable stuff, but relative to platform he had, and especially being a black athlete, Jordan's track record is pitiful relative to Lebron.
      not many other athletes were either at the time to my recollection... were they all just assholes too?

lebron also makes a fuckton more money than any athlete of that era. jordan's salary was less than 4 million (and usually between 1 and 3) for most of his career until his last two season with the bulls

Comment

• Nba.com is saying we are interested in Greg monroe

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          This is amazing

I'm not a LeBron fan but mad respect here.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
            not many other athletes were either at the time to my recollection... were they all just assholes too?

lebron also makes a fuckton more money than any athlete of that era. jordan's salary was less than 4 million (and usually between 1 and 3) for most of his career until his last two season with the bulls
            Different time, different context. I get sick and tired of people applying todays standards to shit that happened 20, 50, or 200, years ago. Times were different, standards were different, context was different. I don't have to go into examples. They are obvious. Judge people based on the yardsticks used at their times. Judge the standards if you wish, but not the people raised and brought up to meet those standards.

Comment

• @scraptor
              Ya the letter derozan wrote was ok i was referring more to his tv interview where he basically acted like he was being charitable staying in toronto.

Comment

• bebe over munroe. Ive been wrong a ton before but bebe will do well. He has all the tools.

Comment

• two words:

Tax break

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Different time, different context. I get sick and tired of people applying todays standards to shit that happened 20, 50, or 200, years ago. Times were different, standards were different, context was different. I don't have to go into examples. They are obvious. Judge people based on the yardsticks used at their times. Judge the standards if you wish, but not the people raised and brought up to meet those standards.
                    agreed 100% and that's part of what i was trying to express.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                      two words:

Tax break
                      So ... if I'm getting this right ... he's doing all of that ... for a tax break? Or are you saying it means less if he gets a tax break from it?
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

two words:

Tax break
                        Lol you've got to be absolutely kidding me if you think he's doing all that just for a tax break.

I get calling it a tax break when a guy just gives away a big sum of money or whatever (even then it doesn't really make sense tbh), but when he's put so much effort in creating something this personalized, targeted and hopefully very effective, you can't just call that a tax break.

Comment

• Every additional million LeBron earns at this point in his career means very little. A person who goes from earning 2 million a year to 10 million a year sees a huge difference in their lifestyle and the lifestyle of their extended family/close social circle. A person who goes from 40 million a year to 48 million a year sees no effective difference in lifestyle. Having said that, you can take nothing away from anyone who has access to disposable income and chooses to use it to positively impact the lives of those less fortunate than themselves in a positive way. The best thing about trying to improve kids lives is the generational impacts it can have for decades. Kudos to James.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

You're focussing on the money, but Jordan was the biggest celebrity athlete on the planet and he never spoke out social issues of the day. That didn't require any money at all, just simply to take a stand. Instead he chose to protect his image and his shoe selling enterprise. MJ is notorious for shirking that responsibility, especially as a black athlete. Instead of being the inspiration to today's black athletes, like Lebron, Jordan is the one who is following their lead.

One of the biggest criticisms of Michael Jordan over the years has been his reluctance to weigh in on important political and social issues
                            Jordan was never willing to be Tommie Smith and John Carlos, who raised gloved fists in a Black Power protest during the tumultuous 1960s. He was never going to be Muhammad Ali, who was willing to raise awareness by speaking truth to power with uncomfortable words like: “Man, I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No Viet Cong ever called me [the n-word].”

But, clearly, events are changing him.
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.74189d3b6763

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              You're focussing on the money, but Jordan was the biggest celebrity athlete on the planet and he never spoke out social issues of the day. That didn't require any money at all, just simply to take a stand. Instead he chose to protect his image and his shoe selling enterprise. MJ is notorious for shirking that responsibility, especially as a black athlete. Instead of being the inspiration to today's black athletes, like Lebron, Jordan is the one who is following their lead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.74189d3b6763
                              Maybe he just didn't like how the 'social issues of the day' were typically framed and presented.

Maybe he felt he would be used as a pawn (a very, very, powerful one), and he didn't agree with some/many/all of the opinions of the people who were going to use him, so he steered clear of all of that.

Or maybe he just isn't politically oriented. Not everyone is.

You've created an idea of what you think his responsibility is, and you're imposing that on him.
                              Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Jul 31, 2018, 09:19 AM.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

two words:

Tax break
                                That's too cynical. Even for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X