This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    Would SA want to trade Kawhi within the conference.. even if a team like Portland or LAC could put a better package together (say Portland offers McCollum and/or LAC offers Harris with Shai or something).. Pops/Buford may prefer to keep him away from the West for a year. Just like Indiana wanted to do with George.

Washington is an interesting one.. Maybe they'd swap Porter and their 2019 pick for Kawhi? And if Kawhi leaves they are out from Porter's big contract saving them lots of future cap space?
    They would definitely do that... the Spurs wouldn't. Porter is good but not at the price point he's at.

Comment

• Man I can't help but think about the Vince Carter trade, and as much as I personally hated on VC for the way he forced his way out, at least he played the games(half-assed mind you). The more I read about the Kawhi situation the less I like it, dude quit straight-up. I'm with Tony Parker on this one, you get paid millions of dollars to suck it up and play through pain, just about everyone has it worse than deep bruises from a couple of years ago that have scarred over...There is just no way I give up DD for a guy with little-to-no professional ethics unless he is going to refuse to report and 'retire' like Zo did. For all these years I could only live with that trade as that is the kind of deal you get when the whole league knows you don't have any leverage...There is no way Masai is that stupid or desperate...
      limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

• DeRozan won't have to bee included.

Powell, OG, Miles and a pick.. the Spurs don't have any leverage

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
          They would definitely do that... the Spurs wouldn't. Porter is good but not at the price point he's at.
          It's hard to say.. what's the Spurs budget like? After Aldridge they don't really have any big contracts. Porter makes as much as DD. Not as talented as DeMar at all but we don't even know if Masai is offering DeMar.

Porter could be the Wizards "Dipo". Say they attach Troy Brown (the guy they picked at 15 in the last draft, who's available to be traded by around August). That's really similar to the Dipo/Sabonis package Indiana got back from OKC.

Not saying Porter == Dipo.. just that Porter was a top 3 pick in his draft class.. and is playing basically 3rd fiddle to two other stars. He could blossom as the "man" in San Antonio.

Comment

It's hard to say.. what's the Spurs budget like? After Aldridge they don't really have any big contracts. Porter makes as much as DD. Not as talented as DeMar at all but we don't even know if Masai is offering DeMar.

Porter could be the Wizards "Dipo". Say they attach Troy Brown (the guy they picked at 15 in the last draft, who's available to be traded by around August). That's really similar to the Dipo/Sabonis package Indiana got back from OKC.

Not saying Porter == Dipo.. just that Porter was a top 3 pick in his draft class.. and is playing basically 3rd fiddle to two other stars. He could blossom as the "man" in San Antonio.
            I think we know Masai is offering DeMar. I don't think it's an accident that Stein, Shelburne, Lowe, and Windhorst all specifically brought up DeMar when talking about the potential trade.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

This is exactly the sort of offer the Spurs can probably get from a bunch of teams - and exactly why including DeMar is the scenario where the Raptors separate themselves from the pack.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                I think we know Masai is offering DeMar. I don't think it's an accident that Stein, Shelburne, Lowe, and Windhorst all specifically brought up DeMar when talking about the potential trade.
                Nobody has a problem trading DeMar in this deal, the hang up is giving up DeMar and OG Anunoby for 1 year of Leonard (I'm actually really not sure what you're using to convince him to re-sign at that point if you don't win the title) --- and I think that team loses to Boston anyway.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  You give up DD and OG for a chance at having a top 5 player long term, with one year of that top 5 player giving you a better shot in your competitive window than you would have in the two coming years combined. There is literally no better return you could get for those two.

I hesitate to include OG - the risk becomes real when he is outgoing. But the risk is probably still worth it. Now a package of DD, OG, another prospect, and a 1st... Not sure of that one. Wouldn't be super angry about it though - more of a coin toss.
                  That's about the package Miami paid for shaq in 2004. That's significantly more than new Orleans got for Chris Paul. Both of those men were coming over for multiple seasons to gladly start a new era of their career.

If that offer is a coin toss then I hope it's a coin that has 2 sides reading "hell no!"
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    That's about the package Miami paid for shaq in 2004. That's significantly more than new Orleans got for Chris Paul. Both of those men were coming over for multiple seasons to gladly start a new era of their career.

If that offer is a coin toss then I hope it's a coin that has 2 sides reading "hell no!"
                    They're valuing DeMar at effectively zero in the trade (to us not to San Antonio) that's why it's not a bad deal to them.

Comment

This is exactly the sort of offer the Spurs can probably get from a bunch of teams - and exactly why including DeMar is the scenario where the Raptors separate themselves from the pack.
                      I hear you.. and you're probably right.. but I suspect Washington would say no to Porter+Brown for Kawhi before SA would say yes. And I do think OG makes a better prospect than anything Washington has or anything Philly/Boston want to give up.

So Masai could still put together the best prospect package in the NBA that any GM is willing to give up for a rental.

Comment

Well on the off chance you see this... Your previous post was meaningless in the way you meant it - or at the least a dramatic misrepresentation of your point. To say that you'd send out DD and OG for a locked in Kawhi, when in reality you mean you would actually send them out for a great deal less than that (considering that trade would never happen) is a very silly thing to say.

Like if you suggested trading Poeltl for Pau Gasol. And I say, no, that's silly. You give up Poeltl in a trade for Anthony Davis. See how dumb that is?

I think you are misreading what he's saying. All he stated is that OG and DeMar are too much to give up for one year with Kawhi. There is a chance Kawhi stays, who know what the percentage is, but lets just say 60% chance he leaves for the Lakers. Is it worth risking the franchises future for that?

Does getting Kawhi and giving DeMar and OG really make us that much better?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

If the "other prospect" is Poeltl than sure.. I don't think we'd miss him that much. That 2019 pick will have minimal value (it'll have some, since GM's love draft picks, especially first rounders), but it'll be in the high 20's. The package comes down to DD+OG. And that's the debate point.

If Masai pulls the trigger on that one.. nobody can say he doesn't take risks anymore.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                            I think if DeMar was on the table, the Spurs would have already pulled the trigger. They're not getting any better players

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                              I think you are misreading what he's saying. All he stated is that OG and DeMar are too much to give up for one year with Kawhi. There is a chance Kawhi stays, who know what the percentage is, but lets just say 60% chance he leaves for the Lakers. Is it worth risking the franchises future for that?

Does getting Kawhi and giving DeMar and OG really make us that much better?
                              I'll comment on a few things here.

1.) First of all thanks for understanding what I was saying, it wasn't really that difficult to read, I thought.
                              2.) I think the chance of Kawhi leaving (especially with DeMar and OG both gone) is very close to 100%.
                              3.) DeMar and OG for Kawhi probably makes us better if the Spurs let us have Danny Green back to make the salary work instead of Gasol (not sure they'd do that but they might). But I'm not sure it makes us better than Boston, which would effectively make our ceiling about the same (ECF loss).

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                                I think if DeMar was on the table, the Spurs would have already pulled the trigger. They're not getting any better players
                                That's how I feel too. Even without OG. If you offer DeRozan, Wright, Poeltl and a pick, where the hell are the Spurs going to get a better offer than that? If push comes to shove you remove one of Wright/Poeltl and include Siakam but I really don't like this idea of including OG along with DeRozan.

Comment

Working...
                                X