This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post
    I don't believe Cris Carter has anything. If reputable NBA reporters start leaking he is saying no to Toronto then I'll bite. Toronto isn't going to keep trying to do a deal, if they're completely unsure he'll even play for them. Hell, Toronto might leak to those media that Kawhi said no, just so the fanbase doesn't lambast Masai for not trying or whatever.

Where else is he gonna go? If both LA teams are out on the trading... Think he'd stay in SA? He has to play next year, or he is not going to get a huge deal.
    Cris Carter is closer to Kawhi than Windhorst and Lowe. He's a longtime family friend. That's he's talking about it so much is interesting, because that's clearly endorsed by KL's uncle. I just think his uncle has really bad instincts for the business; which is also damning since he's supposedly trying to start a player agency (rumours he has approached other NBA players) and a marketing company to push Kawhi's brand.

My guess is the KL camp is still trying to force a Lakers trade this summer, but they've massively overplayed their hand. LAL are happy to wait until next summer and give up nothing, Lebron is saying he'll be patient with LA. Clippers don't really have anything to offer and are also probably in the same boat re: fear he won't re-sign.

It really does all point to a guy who has made up his mind on LAL but can't get past the fact that he holds no leverage whatsoever. If I were the Spurs, I'd trade him to Atlanta for scraps and let him suffer a year for what he's put the franchise through.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• New interesting article from Ramona Shelbourne and Woj

Sources: Kawhi Leonard considers participation in USA Basketball camphttp://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...egas-next-week

Comment

• Man, I don't know if I want to touch Kawhi. There have been good arguments that DeMar/JV package out, Kawhi in should ensure Finals contention (which I agree with, in general) and I would love if this team was in the Finals.

On the other hand, it seems Kawhi's camp is toxic, and he is enabling that even if he is not toxic himself. I think he is toxic, but I'm hoping Masai does his best to clear all the rumours and what not before making any offer or accepting the trade.

On the other hand, Pop is not gonna grow desperate either; everyone's been arguing that Kawhi has an obligation to his employer to work. Right now, if the Spurs keep him, and manage to ensure he will actually play for him this season, his value will only go up. This is why I doubt that any move will occur with Kawhi unless Pop/Buford feel the value is actually fair - which means we're not lowballing them and making out with Kawhi somehow.

Thank god it's Masai at the helm, there are very few people who have the potential to do as good a job as him in this situation, much less a better job.

Comment

• Interesting take from a Lakers fan: https://old.reddit.com/r/torontorapt..._office_might/

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            I think it's easy to assume we know what's going on in Leonard's head, but the plain facts are that the guy hasn't spoken one word. Everything is rumors, conjecture, and hearsay. Many people are saying he's getting bad advice from his uncle, and I think this reeks of his uncle's desperation to get him to LA this summer.

Remember, Kawhi only gets 4yrs/$140 million if he signs as a free agent in LA next summer. Turning down the Spurs supermax of 5yrs/$219 million would cost him almost $80 million of guaranteed money. If he tries to work out a sign and trade with his new team (5/190), it could gut LA to get him, like Melo/New York, so that would be an unlikely option.

So if you've been giving your nephew bad advice and turned him into one of the NBA's top villains, you are going to rattle your sword to wave off teams like Toronto.

And it will probably work. At this point I'd much rather go after Jimmy Butler. But I don't think some third-hand messages from Cris Carter should be viewed as truly substantive.
            Sign and trades are limited to 4 years - you can only get what you can get as a free agent, not the increased term and raises of a Bird Rights re-signing in a sign and trade.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• so Spurs are not letting anybody talk to Kawhi. wtf
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                Of course, if Carter is just making things up(which is also possible). Then for sure i would trade for Kawhi.
                If Kawhi or his uncle wanted to notify Ujiri they won't play in Toronto he is one phone call away. The fact that hasn't happened tells me that Carter is talking out his ass. This isn't medieval times where messages have to sent by horseback, he could just text Ujiri and say "don't trade for me, I won't play there". If her truly won't play here what's stopping him from doing that?

EDIT: Just read the tweet above. My understanding is Kawhi has no representation, so what reps are they talking about? If his uncle isn't his agent the Spurs can't bar him from talking to anybody.
                Last edited by Primer; Tue Jul 17, 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

so Spurs are not letting anybody talk to Kawhi. wtf
                  I actually get that from the Spurs perspective.

I'm not even thinking of doing a trade for him if I can't talk to him though.
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                    My guess is the KL camp is still trying to force a Lakers trade this summer, but they've massively overplayed their hand. LAL are happy to wait until next summer and give up nothing, Lebron is saying he'll be patient with LA. Clippers don't really have anything to offer and are also probably in the same boat re: fear he won't re-sign.
                    They're 100% just trying to force a trade to LA and nowhere else. They're trying to depress the asking price from any other possible suitor by saying "KAWHI WON'T PLAY FOR YOU" so the Spurs feel they have no choice but to take the Lakers offer.

In reality the Spurs will just say "F*** you" and not trade him rather than give him what he wants at this point, because they want to send a message that they as an organization will not be held hostage.
                    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      If Kawhi or his uncle wanted to notify Ujiri they won't play in Toronto he is one phone call away. The fact that hasn't happened tells me that Carter is talking out his ass. This isn't medieval times where messages have to sent by horseback, he could just text Ujiri and say "don't trade for me, I won't play there". If her truly won't play here what's stopping him from doing that?

EDIT: Just read the tweet above. My understanding is Kawhi has no representation, so what reps are they talking about? If his uncle isn't his agent the Spurs can't bar him from talking to anybody.
                      Crazy the Spurs would ask for that and not let teams talk to Kawhi. Nobody is going to bite on that.

As for the Carter stuff. Its easy enough for KL's camp to tell Masai they won't report to Toronto. If Windhorst says the Raptors are in the driver's seat on this deal. I believe him. It implies that Toronto does believe that KL would play for them.

Comment

• The piece sort of implies that the Spurs are not letting anyone talk to Kawhi, YET. And that they would likely give that permission once a deal is in place (as any team would certainly demand to talk to him before making the official trade call).
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          The piece sort of implies that the Spurs are not letting anyone talk to Kawhi, YET. And that they would likely give that permission once a deal is in place (as any team would certainly demand to talk to him before making the official trade call).
                          And it makes perfect sense. The last thing you want is uncle Dennis working the phones
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Any event, spurs are asking way too much. I remind everyone that Pacers got Oladipo and sabonis for pg13 a rental with equal flight risk at the time but far less concerns with prior injury or character questions
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              And it makes perfect sense. The last thing you want is uncle Dennis working the phones

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Any event, spurs are asking way too much. I remind everyone that Pacers got Oladipo and sabonis for pg13 a rental with equal flight risk at the time but far less concerns with prior injury or character questions
                                In fairness I believe that more was offered for George, but the Pacers just really liked that particular package and as it turned out, rightfully so. Also, a healthy Kawhi is considerably better than a healthy George at this stage. Kawhi arguably should have been the 2016-17 MVP.
                                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Working...
                                X