This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    This is how pretty much all of these pressers go. Does anyone actually think they are going to learn anything? These guys are taught and trained not to tell you anything. Or at least not anything that matters.
    I've seen many good Masai press conferences. This was not a good Masai press conference.

You're in business. You must have attended AGMs. Would that performance from an executive inspire any measure of confidence in you? It was the closest I've seen to Masai sounding desperate and irrational. He was lashing out at people making fun on the internet.

Conversely it was the calmest and most composed I've ever seen Casey. It was like bizarro land.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      I've seen many good Masai press conferences. This was not a good Masai press conference.

You're in business. You must have attended AGMs. Would that performance from an executive inspire any measure of confidence in you? It was the closest I've seen to Masai sounding desperate and irrational. He was lashing out at people making fun on the internet.

Conversely it was the calmest and most composed I've ever seen Casey. It was like bizarro land.
      I'm not seeing anything wrong in Masai's presser, I just watched it. I felt there was nothing of substance, as it always has been with Masai... and as it always should be.

Comment

• It felt a lot like deja vu to be frank. Trusts Casey.. needs a few days to evaluate. Puts the pressure on himself. Interesting tid bit was that he felt Game 1 was the critical turning point. Which I agree. If we won that won.. maybe we don't collapse in Game 2 like we did. Once you are down 0-2 after playing at home no less.. you're f#cked no matter who you are (although that loss was on Casey for putting Miles on Love for that stretch.. oh and for Ibaka playing like dog shit).

It to me feels like we're not making any big changes and will be riding this same core all over again. That's my personal take away. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• Holy fuck he's still evaluating????

How long does it take to evaluate masai? Jesus fucking Christ. Masai is approaching used car salesman territory now.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
            Holy fuck he's still evaluating????

How long does it take to evaluate masai? Jesus fucking Christ. Masai is approaching used car salesman territory now.
            Him saying evaluating is a way of saying you guys don't get to know shit.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
              I'm not seeing anything wrong in Masai's presser, I just watched it. I felt there was nothing of substance, as it always has been with Masai... and as it always should be.

Do you think if you'd won game 1, with the group you have, you could have competed in that series?

I wouldn't be answering the question because we'd be playing today. We would be playing today. That's the bottom line. I think. It's today, right? Yeah we would be playing--it'd be a different story. Because confidence helps you. There was a level of that game that was a shock and I hate to criticize anything but I tell you the margin of error is this small. I'm not one to give any excuses anywhere but we're in the business of wins and losses that's the honest truth and I don't know how many people feel it as much as these guys feel it, I don't know what other jobs are like this where it all comes down to wins and losses. If a flagrant foul is called and looked at it, does it go a different way? I know one thing we deserved to have come to a point in this league that we deserved to go look at the play. That might not be the reason--we missed 100 layups, we had 400 turnovers--but all I'm saying is the margin of error is this small. That's the playoffs. Everybody is staring at you in the face. And you're staring at one team 7 times in a row or 4 times in a row. But we believe what we're doing here. Honestly we believe in the growth. If you go back, we're trying to make playoffs, trying to make the playoffs, trying to make the playoffs and now we're in there, and we're trying to succeed in the playoffs. Maybe it's the stage that we're going to go through. Because you know what? People can make fun of everything they want on the internet. Make fun of the team, make fun of getting beat and all that stuff. Hey. There's only one team one team in the NBA that's going to win the championship and 29 that are not winners. And 29 teams are going to be disappointed. And we're one of them. So we have to go back and sit back and see exactly like what we have to do to get back. But it's never to me it's not doomsday. Where our program is it's not doomsday. Because if people are talking about us that means somewhere somehow we're relevant now in the NBA and when you get relevant now you have to meet the challenges everyday of expectations and growing, and getting bigger and winning. And that's what we're going to try and do. Whatever the things we have to do to get there, we're going to collectively evaluate. Everybody can question Casey all they want, you can question Kyle all you want, you can question DeMar all you want, guess what? I have to look at the body of work. As a leader I have to look at the body of work that has been done over the last five years and think, what's the next five years ahead. And that's what I have to do. That's what I'm going to do. Yes there are weaknesses and yes there are strengths. Guess what? not everybody has them. And we have to figure out a way--I say it again, there's only going to be one champion here. So everybody else is going to be disappointed. And we are disappointed right now.
              The question was about competing and he:
              -made an excuse about the flagrant
              -talked about the team being criticized on the internet
              -made an excuse about how there's only one champion (twice)
              -suggested the criticism means we're relevant instead of addressing the cause of that criticism
              -used a lot of meaningless platitudes

If he had stopped after "the margin of error is this small" it would have been a great answer.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                Holy fuck he's still evaluating????

He's never gonna tell us anything lol, he runs a tight ship. It's the same with the Leafs now.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  The question was about competing and he:
                  -made an excuse about the flagrant
                  -talked about the team being criticized on the internet
                  -made an excuse about how there's only one champion (twice)
                  -suggested the criticism means we're relevant instead of addressing the cause of that criticism
                  -used a lot of meaningless platitudes

If he had stopped after "the margin of error is this small" it would have been a great answer.
                  There's nothing there that indicates to me some out of line emotional thinking. I found it more interesting that he says it's disappointing that this team wasn't that one champion. Sure, he says 29 teams are/should be disappointed every year - and I get that it sends a message of "please excuse us" at first. Until you read the latter half of his answer on evaluating bodies of work, and working towards being that one champion. He also seems to be explaining what that margin of error is, and expounding that it may not always be error on your part, though in this case it certainly was (100 layups, 400 turnovers). But certainly, you've got to take both internal and external margins of error in your evaluation don't you?

In any case, I see what you're saying but I still don't think it was a bad conference.

Comment

• I really think that Serge playing at a high level could have made a huge difference in that series. And that has been MU's biggest challenge, finding competent and consistent players to put between Lowry/Demar and JV. We thought (well maybe not all of us) we had that when Carroll was signed, but it unfortunately didn't work. We thought we had that with Serge, but unfortunately it didn't work. Luckily, it appears OG might sure up the SF position for the future of this core, and maybe beyond. Can Siakam become that starting PF that could really help these guys get over the hump? Is it possible to trade Serge and get that guy via another avenue? I'm not sure but I think MU may be asking that same question. Because unless you have one of the very few top guys in this league, you are gonna need a solid starting unit 1 through 5 to actually challenge the top teams/players (as well as some great bench pieces). And I will not be disappointed if thats the route this team takes this offseason or even the next. And really, if this isn't the strategy a team would take to build it's roster, then the only other option is to play for the lottery. And I wouldn't be disappointed if we go that route either. But I'm not really interested in too much tweaking. Find another PF and give this group a shot, or start stripping it down this offseason by finding takers for Lowry and Demar. No, we may not be bad enough to get a top 5 pick in 2019 in that scenario, but it starts the process and you go from there. It might be the 2020 or even 2021 draft before we have really bottomed out. And guys like Wright, FVV, Siakim and Poeltl might have to be moved as well to make it happen. Serge, not so much. And who knows, maybe within those trades comes a draft pick from a team that just happened to hit the lottery as well and we benefit from that. The more picks the better, but if the team decides to tank, do it proper.

Comment

• I thought Casey's comments on JV were interesting. Talked about how the C position is getting smaller. Said JV made good development on his defence.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        I thought Casey's comments on JV were interesting. Talked about how the C position is getting smaller. Said JV made good development on his defence.
                        Front office is thinking about firing him, probably complimenting JV to try and save his own ass.

Comment

• Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            It felt a lot like deja vu to be frank. Trusts Casey.. needs a few days to evaluate. Puts the pressure on himself. Interesting tid bit was that he felt Game 1 was the critical turning point. Which I agree. If we won that won.. maybe we don't collapse in Game 2 like we did. Once you are down 0-2 after playing at home no less.. you're f#cked no matter who you are (although that loss was on Casey for putting Miles on Love for that stretch.. oh and for Ibaka playing like dog shit).

It to me feels like we're not making any big changes and will be riding this same core all over again. That's my personal take away. Hope I'm wrong.
                            I'm starting to get concerned that "evaluating" is becoming the new "organic growth"...

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              I thought Casey's comments on JV were interesting. Talked about how the C position is getting smaller. Said JV made good development on his defence.
                              Misused him all year, left him out of any praise in the media, nailed him to the bench countless times during games when he was our most effective player, dbl dbl machine and inexplicably benches him. And now faint praise smh

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                                Front office is thinking about firing him, probably complimenting JV to try and save his own ass.
                                As others have mentioned, he doesn't look like he's too concerned about being fired.

Comment

Working...
                                X