This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

omg this is like the best day ever. Spurs entering NBA purgatory will be so good
    And here I thought this was current news.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Wait, what fantasy world are you living in that we played better against the Cavs in the 15-16 season?

We got demolished in that series, two wins aside. It was over before it began. This series, even in a sweep, was dramatically closer than that series.

Like, I don't really like that the Raptors came out with a talking point that this 4-0 sweep was us closing the gap from last year's 4-0 sweep, but it's absolutely true nonetheless. This sweep was a far tighter series than either of the two previous Cavs series. Which doesn't mean we are in a good place - just that we're in a better place than before. Anyone pining for the 15-16 team wasn't paying attention.
      Not getting swept is better than getting swept. Your argument here I suppose is that our netRTG against the Cavs has increasingly "improved" going from about -17 to about -16 to about -15 this most recent playoffs.

You can win a series with a negative point differential. If we won 4 close games in Toronto this year and got smacked by 30 in every road game we advance. That would be progress regardless of a probably horrible netRTG over the 7 games.

Not to mention like I said the 2015-16 Cavs were a MUCH better team than this current one we just played. They won the title for fuck's sake.

MLSE should hire you bro.
      Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Fri May 11, 2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Wait, what fantasy world are you living in that we played better against the Cavs in the 15-16 season?

We got demolished in that series, two wins aside. It was over before it began. This series, even in a sweep, was dramatically closer than that series.

Like, I don't really like that the Raptors came out with a talking point that this 4-0 sweep was us closing the gap from last year's 4-0 sweep, but it's absolutely true nonetheless. This sweep was a far tighter series than either of the two previous Cavs series. Which doesn't mean we are in a good place - just that we're in a better place than before. Anyone pining for the 15-16 team wasn't paying attention.
        Disagree.

Whether you believe the Cavs let their foot off the gas in 2016, or the Raps gave up in 2018, it's all subjective.

The only thing that isn't debatable in this Cavs matchup, is wins/loses. And the Raps did better in 2016 than the last two years combined. That's not progress.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
          Not getting swept is better than getting swept. Your argument here I suppose is that our netRTG against the Cavs has increasingly "improved" going from about -17 to about -16 to about -15 this most recent playoffs.

You can win a series with a negative point differential. If we won 4 close games in Toronto this year and got smacked by 30 in every road game we advance. That would be progress regardless of a probably horrible netRTG over the 7 games.

Not to mention like I said the 2015-16 Cavs were a MUCH better team than this current one we just played. They won the title for fuck's sake.

MLSE should hire you bro.
          If you want to view it in such simplistic terms, more power to you.

The Raptors stood a chance in this series. That's why it was frustrating that they screwed it up so badly. They never remotely stood a chance in 15-16. Which is part of why that run was so exciting - it was all gravy, so getting destroyed by the Cavs didn't feel bad.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If you want to view it in such simplistic terms, more power to you.

The Raptors stood a chance in this series. That's why it was frustrating that they screwed it up so badly. They never remotely stood a chance in 15-16. Which is part of why that run was so exciting - it was all gravy, so getting destroyed by the Cavs didn't feel bad.
            It's simplistic when it doesn't fit your narrative.

Sure you can argue we "stood a chance". On paper we had the better team going into the playoffs, by quite a margin actually. Yet the result was almost the same, 4 game sweep, -15 netRTG over the 4 games. Absolutely annihilated. Yeah we played two close games, which we still lost. You can say we had a chance because of that but even in the regular season we struggled in close games against other top teams.

That's not progress. The Cavs have gotten worse, we've supposedly gotten better. We still can't put a fucking scratch on them. Idk how anyone who's rational or not being cut a cheque can call that progress.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
              It's simplistic when it doesn't fit your narrative.

Sure you can argue we "stood a chance". On paper we had the better team going into the playoffs, by quite a margin actually. Yet the result was almost the same, 4 game sweep, -15 netRTG over the 4 games. Absolutely annihilated. Yeah we played two close games, which we still lost. You can say we had a chance because of that but even in the regular season we struggled in close games against other top teams.

That's not progress. The Cavs have gotten worse, we've supposedly gotten better. We still can't put a fucking scratch on them. Idk how anyone who's rational or not being cut a cheque can call that progress.
              It's not nearly enough progress, don't get me wrong. I straight up said where we are isn't good.

But unlike previous seasons, the Raptors cost themselves this series, rather than never having a chance.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It's not nearly enough progress, don't get me wrong. I straight up said where we are isn't good.

But unlike previous seasons, the Raptors cost themselves this series, rather than never having a chance.
                This, I can agree with. But it doesn't necessarily make me feel better about next year, lol.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  This, I can agree with. But it doesn't necessarily make me feel better about next year, lol.
                  I absolutely think there need to be changes. But I don't think the story needs to be that the entire team is doomed to fail against Cleveland. There are specific pieces that fell short, and others that showed their viability and value.

Personally, I think DeMar's weaknesses proved a little much to overcome in this matchup, and Casey's mistakes were far too costly in a series where the margin of error is too small. Ibaka is always mediocre, and sucked, but we're stuck with him anyway. So at the very least one of Casey or DeMar need to go for the team to have a real shot to improve in the playoffs, ideally both. But the flaws this team showed in the playoffs isn't a lack of a superstar (which, yes, papers over a lot of issues) making it impossible to win. They had more specific issues, and they had every opportunity to have success with the talent they have now. Bailing on the good parts of that to rebuild now (rather than in 1-2 years when they always planned to make that up-down decision) seems to me like a misdiagnosis of their issues in these playoffs.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• As if the Cavs are the only problem we have to worry about.

What if LeBron goes to Philadelphia, then what? What about an improved Celtics team? Do we still run it back against a team we have a 0% chance of beating? Even if he stays in Cleveland, they have a top 10 pick from Brooklyn they could use to improve more. Just rotating parts or coaches won't get the job done, we aren't talented enough.

Comment

• Comment

• People tell we're fine but at the same time we can't trade anybody because nobody has value lol
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          People tell we're fine but at the same time we can't trade anybody because nobody has value lol
                          You'll have to ask DanH about that. We can't trade Lowry/Ibaka to rebuild but somehow a core built around Lowry/Ibaka/JV with whatever pieces we get back for DeMar and a new coach is a championship contender.

Can't wait for the continued progress. Maybe we can get swept by Boston instead next year.

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

He is right. It is very necessary. No knock on Casey, he was a part of the Raptors turnaround and I give him some credit for it, but after 5 years in the Playoffs, getting swept 3 times and generally underperforming, you have to make a change.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X