X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Heh

For sheer off-season entertainment value, nothing comes close to the NBA. Boring old Minnesota is stealing the show....

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      The one common theme of being able to re-sign big stars in the modern NBA is having other stars. I'd think being able to pitch the two of them on staying is the best chance we have to re-sign either of them.
      That was my initial thought as well, right when the reports started to come out. Butler wasn't happy with the commitment level of KAT/Wiggins, wanted to "compete" and be on a "win now" situation. To me that sounded like we'd be the perfect spot for him. Then things started to unfold. His "list" came out, with three losing teams, with him later reported as being determined to find his way to the Clippers. His priorities became clear as being money, and being in LA.

So now if we ended up getting him, we'd have to convince not 1 but 2 guys that not only did not want come here in the first place, but wanted to be at the same place (LA), around the same time (as they expressed this wish within 3-4 months of each other).

Now maybe I'm overthinking, and frankly, if it was someone else, I wouldn't give a damn. Get Butler and figure out later. But it's Kawhi Leonard we're talking. To me personally, the only way I'd feel at ease with this is if one of these 2 things happened:

1. If Kawhi/his camp, came out either publicly or privately to Masai and said something on the lines of "you know what, I think having Butler would be nice, it would strengthen the team, we could work together to build something here "

OR

2. If Having Butler on the squad puts us at the same level as Golden State. If we won a title I couldn't care less, they could both bolt and we could go 10-72 the year after for all I care. The mission would be accomplished and we'd be on a clean rebuild.

Unfortunately, neither #1 or #2 is likely.

Kawhi is a quiet, reserved and humble guy that values family and respect from his teammates (see Tony Parker) and organization. Butler is a boisterous, loud and extroverted personality that values money and the limelight.

Now, despite that, they could work very well on the court together, they're both super talented (in fairness to Butler, I don't think some of the on-court "fit" issues pointed here would be significant. He's a top 20 NBA player, he'd fit anywhere). However, Bulter wouldn't be an "inert gas" here. He would have some sort of impact on Kawhi. As much as I'd like to believe it would be to help Kawhi re-up, I persoanlly think they would either become best buddies and continue it @ the Clippers, or Butler would shit on the Raptors locker room (like he did with his two prior teams) and alienate Kawhi on the culture we're trying to sell him. (Unfortunately).

I would just keep it simple, continue to groom Kawhi, and hopefully attract a free agent that actually wants to be here to play with him.
      Last edited by inthepaint; Sat Sep 22, 2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        For sheer off-season entertainment value, nothing comes close to the NBA. Boring old Minnesota is stealing the show....

I would simply love it if Butler shows up on Media day.

Comment

• Did Minnesota just tack on 30 million more just to say fuck ypi to jimmy butler? Thats next level petty
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            "Direct" maybe beyond my own capabilities of unearthing that form of connection ...but how about :

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dennis-r...tson-004a7447/

for anyone interested in beginning the process
            "Dennis R. Robertson, is an award winning Banking Executive with over 30 years of experience in corporate branding, training and development, campaign marketing and promotion, and staff recruiting."

This guy is legit. Hes not some Lavar Ball looking for attention or guiding Kawhi to some bad path like the media portrays.

Comment

• I think we should trade for Jimmy assuming we don't also trade OG. Jimmy would want the money, but I would only resign him if Kawhi resigns, otherwise we can rebuild and try for Greek Freak in 2020.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                So now if we ended up getting him, we'd have to convince not 1 but 2 guys that not only did not want come here in the first place, but wanted to be at the same place (LA), around the same time (as they expressed this wish within 3-4 months of each other).
                I hadn't thought of it till you pointed it out, but there is actually a risk that they become buddies and both plot to leave for LA to play together.

But! There is also a classic prisoner's dilemma too.

If Jimmy ends up here, we have both their Bird rights. Both of them have financial incentives; Kawhi has already lost his supermax from San Antonio, and Jimmy has been adamant about going somewhere with the money to give him the $190 million deal.

So if they both stay, they both get the max money possible.
                If one leaves and one stays, the one who stays gets like $50 million more guaranteed dollars, and the one who leaves gets $50 million less.
                If they both leave, they both get $50 million less, but they get to be in the place they want to be.

So I say roll the dice and get Jimmy and they can plot whatever the hell they want, but I bet by next summer they'd look at all that guaranteed dough and decide that Toronto winters aren't so bad after all.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                  "Dennis R. Robertson, is an award winning Banking Executive with over 30 years of experience in corporate branding, training and development, campaign marketing and promotion, and staff recruiting."

This guy is legit. Hes not some Lavar Ball looking for attention or guiding Kawhi to some bad path like the media portrays.
                  I agree... never suggested otherwise ... was responding to a question

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    I hadn't thought of it till you pointed it out, but there is actually a risk that they become buddies and both plot to leave for LA to play together.

But! There is also a classic prisoner's dilemma too.

If Jimmy ends up here, we have both their Bird rights. Both of them have financial incentives; Kawhi has already lost his supermax from San Antonio, and Jimmy has been adamant about going somewhere with the money to give him the $190 million deal.

So if they both stay, they both get the max money possible.
                    If one leaves and one stays, the one who stays gets like $50 million more guaranteed dollars, and the one who leaves gets $50 million less.
                    If they both leave, they both get $50 million less, but they get to be in the place they want to be.

So I say roll the dice and get Jimmy and they can plot whatever the hell they want, but I bet by next summer they'd look at all that guaranteed dough and decide that Toronto winters aren't so bad after all.
                    With Butler's injury history and high mileage under Thibs.... I would say > 80% chance he stays with the team that can offer that 5th guaranteed year, which willl be more of a risk to the team getting him. Hence, why 'Sota probably wasn't interested in maxing him, which is probably the real root cause of all this drama.

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

Dieng and Butler

For Ibaka, Norm and Delon

I think Thib and ownership would bite on this.

More than enough for a player who publicly doesnt want to be there.

Comment

• If we have to give up any significant piece then I'm not sure I want this deal. Either he leaves or the expectation is we pay him max money until he is 34 or 35 with his injury history and the likelihood of all his strengths (which rely on athleticism and strength) declining each year.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...e-done-quickly

So far, few franchises, if any, are engaged in serious conversations with the Timberwolves on Butler, sources said. But the list of organizations interested in talking further with Minnesota is significant, league sources said: Brooklyn, Detroit, Houston, the LA Clippers, Miami, Philadelphia, Portland and Sacramento are among the teams interested in probing for deals.
                          I laughed when I read Sacramento.
                          Last edited by Hotshot; Sun Sep 23, 2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• I laughed some more...

Comment

• Anywhere but Philly

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X