This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmie wrote: View Post
    Except this isn't the only possible future. And I trust MU has a plan. I don't think he's a GM who ever considers a full rebuild.

Lowry's off the books with Ibaka and JV for the 2020 offseason. Derozan comes off the books in 2021. If no major moves are made between now and then, they've got cap space to go after whoever they want. They may need a few bucks for Fred and Delon if they want to keep them, but there's still plenty in the tank for a max FA or even two, with OG, Siakam and Poeltl still in the fold.

FAs in 2021: Giannis, KD, Anthony Davis, Lillard, McCollum, Beal, Gobert, Drummond, Oladipo...

Let's not restrict the possibilities to Leonard or tank.
    DeMar has a player option in 2020.. so he can be gone too. You listed OG, Siakam and Poeltl. I would definitely try to avoid trading OG and Siakam.. and I think most here who want Kawhi would as well. Poeltl wouldn't that be that big of a loss. He's still primarily a backup C.. and may never become a good starter.

If Kawhi leaves we are in the exact same predicament as what you just outlined.. but with some cap space created earlier..

The key to this whole thing is DeMar and what his value would be if he wasn't included in a Kawhi trade. He'll be an expiring next year (assuming he opts out which is a valid assumption I think) so his value may not be that high.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
      Except this isn't the only possible future. And I trust MU has a plan. I don't think he's a GM who ever considers a full rebuild.

Lowry's off the books with Ibaka and JV for the 2020 offseason. Derozan comes off the books in 2021. If no major moves are made between now and then, they've got cap space to go after whoever they want. They may need a few bucks for Fred and Delon if they want to keep them, but there's still plenty in the tank for a max FA or even two, with OG, Siakam and Poeltl still in the fold.

FAs in 2021: Giannis, KD, Anthony Davis, Lillard, McCollum, Beal, Gobert, Drummond, Oladipo...

Let's not restrict the possibilities to Leonard or tank.
      slaw wrote: View Post
      There's a lot of underlying premises in many of the posts in the last couple of pages. The false choice you point out above is one of them.....
      If the (very possible) plan is to reload in free agency rather than tank, then (if we go along with the current discussion) you're going to anchor a summer 2020 FA push either with the end of DeRozan's contract (strong chance he re-signs after this one) or Kawhi's next contract (a definite gamble). In either case there's a the possibility that Masai still has cap space to chase another max FA, if he lets some guys walk and continues to sign short deals where possible.

Then it still comes down to if you want a second team All-NBA player who is loyal and stable or a top 5 player who is coming with some current baggage and a flight risk.

I'd still go with the latter because this is the NBA - you need top tier stars if you actually want to win something and the opportunities to get guy like that are very limited. There are 30 teams and everyone one of them wants a top 5 player on their roster. It's so bad nearly 1/3 of the league now tanks for a crack at drafting a guy like Kawhi. If that type of player is within your reach, you have to go for it.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Is Kawhi a Raptor yet?
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Why do I feel like a petty person because I wouldn't move Demar, Lowry, OG, or Pascal for Kawhi? Dude is coming off a mystery injury, abandoned his team and no one has seen him on a court in months. The Spurs are not trading from strength. MAYBE Lowry and filler would be acceptable to me. But all my imaginary trades start with serge and/or Norm, a future protected draft pick and the right to exchange first rounders for one or 2 years.

If he doesn't want to head to camp in SA, a win for the Spurs is getting anyone who will show up in my opinion. It can't be a good sign that Tony Parker left. As I said, I feel petty saying this, but the benefit of trading for a one year rental makes little sense if the Raps trade present and future assets under the present circumstances.

(edited the end to make more sense)
          Last edited by blackjitsu; Fri Jul 13, 2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• 1/3 of the league tanks to draft a player like Kawhi, yes. Those players are bound to the team for several years, don't cost them a tonne of assets and generally aren't a risk to not suit up (cough Stevie Franchise). This decision isn't so cut and dry or else we'd already be listening in on the player introduction presser and some reporter will be making things really uncomfortable by asking him what happened in San Antonio.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              1/3 of the league tanks to draft a player like Kawhi, yes. Those players are bound to the team for several years, don't cost them a tonne of assets and generally aren't a risk to not suit up (cough Stevie Franchise). This decision isn't so cut and dry or else we'd already be listening in on the player introduction presser and some reporter will be making things really uncomfortable by asking him what happened in San Antonio.
              The reporters in Toronto wouldn't grill him about spurs. They'd just ask him what he thinks of Canada and if he's tried poutine. His thoughts on curling. The kind of thing the average Joe wants to read in the morning Gazette.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  The reporters in Toronto wouldn't grill him about spurs. They'd just ask him what he thinks of Canada and if he's tried poutine. His thoughts on curling. The kind of thing the average Joe wants to read in the morning Gazette.
                  Sounds like questions Michael Grange would ask.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I'm wondering if the Raptors would be better off going after Lilliard than Leonard.

Comment

• Why would Lillard be available?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I'm wondering if the Raptors would be better off going after Lilliard than Leonard.
                        Lillard isn't nearly on the same level of talent.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Leonard seems like the type that would be equally uncomfortable answering questions about either topic.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                            Physically no, but Lillard has displayed much more leadership, ability to carry a team and that stroke is pure. He also has that alpha male attitude.

For all of Leonards attributes he has not shown he can be a leader, yet.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Physically no, but Lillard has displayed much more leadership, ability to carry a team and that stroke is pure. He also has that alpha male attitude.

For all of Leonards attributes he has not shown he can be a leader, yet.
                              What? He's a Finals MVP and the post-Duncan Spurs were continuing to exceed expectations with him as their new best player until last season's drama-filled, crappy year.

I get the hesitations with the risks involved, if not Kawhi I'd go pretty hard after Butler and bringing the team back would be a distant 3rd option. This roster needs to be better and here's a chance to do it now rather than in 2-3 years when contracts expire.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                Google some of the latest news on Lillard.

Comment

Working...
                                X