Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I meant rock btw not tock lol. There's no edit button here so whatever.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      I meant rock btw not tock lol. There's no edit button here so whatever.
      Where? You can edit on both the Webpage and Tapatalk?

Comment

• This year, the Raptors were 18.1 points/100 possessions worse in the playoffs with DeMar on the court.

Last year, that number is 13.1 points/100 possessions.

The Raptors have NEVER had a playoff run where they were better with DeMar on the court than with him off the court.

For Lowry, this year we were 2.3 points/100 possessions better with him on the court.

Last year, it was 8.9 points/100 possessions better with Lowry on the court.

The Raptors have NEVER had a playoff run where they were better with Lowry off the court than with him on the court.

There's some mitigating factors you can point to that might account for some of that in any individual run, but as a 5-year trend, that's incredibly remarkable.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          This year, the Raptors were 18.1 points/100 possessions worse in the playoffs with DeMar on the court.

Last year, that number is 13.1 points/100 possessions.

The Raptors have NEVER had a playoff run where they were better with DeMar on the court than with him off the court.

For Lowry, this year we were 2.3 points/100 possessions better with him on the court.

Last year, it was 8.9 points/100 possessions better with Lowry on the court.

The Raptors have NEVER had a playoff run where they were better with Lowry off the court than with him on the court.

There's some mitigating factors you can point to that might account for some of that in any individual run, but as a 5-year trend, that's incredibly remarkable.
          I think this might be a lost cause. No idea what team TRex has been watching for the past few years if this isn't obvious. Even with Lowry's shooting struggles (which he didn't have this year, the one year he's been healthy in the playoffs, in a crazy coincidence), the team IS Lowry.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            Where? You can edit on both the Webpage and Tapatalk?
            I'm not on tapatalk. It's really not a big deal though. But if you see a lot misspelled words you lnow why lol.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Here's the thing with the Kawhi rental... will he even play for us, or does he continue to sit out with the "injury"? And does he give it his full effort, or is he holding back until he gets with the Lakers? Basically, you're getting a guy that openly doesn't want to be here.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Here's the thing with the Kawhi rental... will he even play for us, or does he continue to sit out with the "injury"? And does he give it his full effort, or is he holding back until he gets with the Lakers? Basically, you're getting a guy that openly doesn't want to be here.
                It's a massive risk. Comes down to whether Masai thinks he can get through to him like he did Kyle, who had one foot out the door when Masai arrived. The payoff of the risk is gigantic, of course, but the risk is very real.

This logic is also the reason why the Raptors might have a shot at winning the bidding, if other teams are scared of that risk, which is very real.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  It's a massive risk. Comes down to whether Masai thinks he can get through to him like he did Kyle, who had one foot out the door when Masai arrived. The payoff of the risk is gigantic, of course, but the risk is very real.

This logic is also the reason why the Raptors might have a shot at winning the bidding, if other teams are scared of that risk, which is very real.
                  Well said Dan

Comment

• Kawhi is the EXACT risk the Raptors should take. But they don't have the assets though to trade for Kawhi.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

And if the only young pieces you give up are Wright, Poeltl and a 1st rounder (which very likely will be a pretty late 1st rounder), that's totally acceptable. If he can re-acquire a 1st within the next couple of years, and keep drafting pretty well, I feel like he can replace that level of young assets fairly quickly, whether Leonard stays or not. And if he leaves, we can just tank for a year or two, which seems somewhat likely if the current core can't have surprising success in the playoffs next season anyway.

Comment

Kawhi is the EXACT risk the Raptors should take. But they don't have the assets though to trade for Kawhi.
                        No, I think most teams have the assets to trade for Kawhi. He (or his uncle/agent whatever) have pretty much screwed any trade value that the Spurs had by letting it be known he's only signing with the Lakers and just maybe, the Clippers. With Kawhi, I think you go in with eyes wide open, knowing that it's a one-night stand and you're okay with paying that price. Kind of like the David Price rental.

But my issue wouldn't be re-signing him, because I'm assuming he's gone - it would be "does he even play for us?"

Comment

I say take the risk and make a bold move to either seriously go for it or bust. This core is anyway going to be finished in 2 years and a mini rebuild will start soon so why not risk it all and hasten the process.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                            I say take the risk and make a bold move to either seriously go for it or bust. This core is anyway going to be finished in 2 years and a mini rebuild will start soon so why not risk it all and hasten the process.
                            I'm with you. It's one of the ancillary benefits of having this short window. Can take short term risks like this (which might open doors other teams may leave closed) without risking the long term plan.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Kawhi is the EXACT risk the Raptors should take. But they don't have the assets though to trade for Kawhi.
                              The thing is, no one does. It would basically be a case of the Spurs thinking they'd better take a deal this summer before the even more lowball offers that would come at the trade deadline.

A team like LA has fairly unspectactular young assets as well. Can't imagine the Spurs have any interest in Ball. Not sure either Kuzma or Ingram is appealing enough without a lottery pick, and LA can't really offer that because if they get Kawhi, they may make the playoffs.

Boston has no incentive to take the risk partly because they have better pieces. Boston made it to the Eastern Conference Finals missing two key players and having basically no go-to scorer. They should feel pretty confident in their ability to improve with a healthy roster and extra year of experience for Brown and Tatum. It's a huge risk that they really don't need to take. They also would have no clue about whether they could convince him to stay.

The only team I could see being ok with the risk is Philly if they can do it while keeping Embiid and Simmons. Still risky because if he leaves, they'd probably have not much of anything left other than those two core pieces, and be an injury away from being back in "the process". *Frankly, they're an injury away from that as is right now anyway.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Jun 24, 2018, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• I'd love to see Leonard on this team. It will strike at the heart of our shortcomings last playoffs, which was on the defensive end, and an OG + Leonard pairing on the wing would be hard to overcome.

That said, any team on the East getting him next year will be getting a player that hasn't played ball in year, coming off a mysterious injury, and it's playing there reluctantly, needing time to integrate in a new team, while counting the days to go to LA. On the court we'll never know if he's mind/heart is fully there (which is paramount on D), and more importantly, if he's really up for "sacrificing his body" on D, which is sometimes necessary (or if he's playing too timidly to avoid injuries before signing in LA). Not too mention potential intangible effects in the locker room by having the best player on your team as a guy who can't wait to get out of there.

All-in-all, whichever East team gets him before he bails, will be getting a half-baked version of the Kawhi we know. That is why I think he won't fetch the spurs much on this trade.

I'd go Demar + Delon + Poeltl for Kawhi + Mills or Gasol, and I think that'd be a heck of an offer to the Spurs given the circumstances. Any East team offering more than that could look a lot like the Brooklyn Nets imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X