This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    It looks like Minnesota will be desperate to get this done quickly, which only helps. There's no concrete rumor for the Raptors, but the cards are falling correctly so far for this to potentially happen.
    What gives you that impression?

Comment

• The Butler situation has no legs, just because Butler isn't happy it does not mean he will demand a trade.

But having Butler on this team Lowry, Butler, Kawhi, OG and JV and all of the sudden Golden States isn't looking too invincible.

Comment

• Don't see us getting Butler.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
          The Butler situation has no legs, just because Butler isn't happy it does not mean he will demand a trade.

But having Butler on this team Lowry, Butler, Kawhi, OG and JV and all of the sudden Golden States isn't looking too invincible.
          It's the Butler contract situation - not the griping. A trade rumour involving any star player whose contract is expiring always has legs. Any GM who allows a franchise player to leave for nothing is going to get roasted after the fact, so it's always an option they must be considering (and losing sleep over). The fact that Butler has openly expressed displeasure for his teammates just adds fuel to the fire that he's leaving.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            What gives you that impression?
            The story out there is that KAT will not sign his extension until the Butler situation is resolved. There's a October 31st deadline on KAT's rookie extension.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Championship Parade will be on Yonge street right?
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

The story out there is that KAT will not sign his extension until the Butler situation is resolved. There's a October 31st deadline on KAT's rookie extension.
                Sounds like a sham source, but still.....

"There’s been a lot of uncertainty around Jimmy Butler all summer," Charania said. "He hasn’t been back to Minnesota. This is going to be a telltale week for him. Very much so, I’m told, this a last-ditch meeting for the Minnesota Timberwolves and Tom Thibodeau, and how they respond and how Jimmy responds to it will be interesting... Karl-Anthony Towns, who’s one of the top talents in the league, has yet to sign to sign his rookie max extension, which should be a no-brainer. And I’m told there won’t be any decision on that until this Jimmy Butler situation resolves itself."
                https://247sports.com/nba/minnesota-...ion-122024252/

Anxious times in the twin cities....

Comment

I'm not too familiar with how this works, but even if KAT doesn't sign an extension, he is restricted isn't he? So Minny can match any offers he may receive?

If the Kawhi/San Antonio situation is a reference it's really difficult to give up on a star player and Minny should exhaust every effort to make it work. I can see this dragging out until the trade deadline.

Comment

I'm not too familiar with how this works, but even if KAT doesn't sign an extension, he is restricted isn't he? So Minny can match any offers he may receive?

If the Kawhi/San Antonio situation is a reference it's really difficult to give up on a star player and Minny should exhaust every effort to make it work. I can see this dragging out until the trade deadline.
                    Not that simple. In order to make KAT a RFA, they have to offer him a QO for a 1-year contract. KAT could simply take the QO, accept making less for one season, then he's a unrestricted free agent the next summer.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Not that simple. In order to make KAT a RFA, they have to offer him a QO for a 1-year contract. KAT could simply take the QO, accept making less for one season, then he's a unrestricted free agent the next summer.
                      Looks like Minny will have to make a decision between the two. If Thibs has a choice I think he would move KAT and maybe even Wiggins before Butler, but Butler is going to have to give him some assurance that he will stay.

Comment

Looks like Minny will have to make a decision between the two. If Thibs has a choice I think he would move KAT and maybe even Wiggins before Butler, but Butler is going to have to give him some assurance that he will stay.
                        This would be brainless. You give up a franchise center in his early 20s who you can lock up for the next 5 years with an extension for a season of a disgruntled Butler?

Comment

Does Butler have any leverage here? Can he dictate where he gets traded to because I can't see him wanting to go to Portland.

Butler has an indirect leverage here. He can't decide outright where he will go right away, but by having a player option on his contract next summer, he can by then.

He wants to be in a winning situation (Probably shot at a conference finals or higher), so if the team that's getting him won't be a clear step up over the situation he's in, the risk of him walking is higher.

That's why I think that the teams willing to take that risk on him would be more likely ones that can offer that shot to him (so the risk of losing him is not as high). There aren't many teams in that situation.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                            This would be brainless. You give up a franchise center in his early 20s who you can lock up for the next 5 years with an extension for a season of a disgruntled Butler?
                            Sure, moving KAT would be brainless, but Thibs is on the hottest of hot seats and has to win now.... or more like win yesterday. The fact that he has been unable to mold KAT and Wiggins into tough-minded winners is a clear abject failure. And the fact that Deng, Rose and Gibson were also brought in is pure craziness and completely ignores the human factor, politics and the toxic environment it could create. I guess the Bulls had some legit concerns when they griped about Thibs and his ability to manage the people side of relationships.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                              If Butler, who is a top 10-12 player gives you assurances he will stay if KAT is traded then you would not make that move? Again, this is IF Butler assures he will stay.

Comment

If Butler, who is a top 10-12 player gives you assurances he will stay if KAT is traded then you would not make that move? Again, this is IF Butler assures he will stay.
                                I don't know that I would. Butler has likely peaked. Towns can still be a top 5 player and the games best big in a few years if he finds it in him
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X