Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trader Danny in Chowdaville sure thinks Leonard is coming to play for his next contract and to show he isn't damaged goods in the big empty spot north of Buffalo. He re-upped Marcus Smart for 4/52M$. Teams loading up in response to the moves made by Ujiri.

The spin on the Smart signing is that the Celtics are all in on winning ....contrast that with the narrative that the Raptors by acquiring Leoanrd are taking a desperate gamble.

The same guys who said that OKC was rash and foolish to take on Paul George because he was signed sealed and delivered to LA are the same guys saying the same things about Leonard. Yes Toronto is cold. But have you ever been to Oklahoma City ? The old Rodney Dangerfield line applies... I spent a month there last Saturday night. Its a backwater.

Raps supposed to hold a presser by end of the week.. which is tomorrow.... SHould be fun to listen to Masiai take questions.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• I hope masai addresses the "lied to Derozan" thing tomorrow. A lot of people are still hung up on that
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I hope masai addresses the "lied to Derozan" thing tomorrow. A lot of people are still hung up on that
        Yeah that is one of the few parts still lingering for me.

I get the trade, I get the reasons, but that is cold.

Possible explanation is that they believed the trade was dead. I know Woj said the deal was dead several times over.

They could have got a call saying, we aren't interested, started the process of moving on and then pulled the trigger.

There are possible explanations that don't include outright deceit. I'd like to hear it from Masai though.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
          I feel like we now need a player with an edge. We need to fill out our roster with someone a little psycho. Someone like when we had James Johnson. We are going to be playing the Pistons 4 times a year. We've always had a rivalry with them because of proximity. Now they have Casey, Kawhi vs Zaza, JV vs Drummound. We need someone that can go haywire, and not really worry about a suspension after.

I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head thats a free agent. But a player with an edge, that other teams will think twice about throwing a cheap shot.
          How about a guy that’s gotten suspensions on multiple occasions for fighting and punching players?

Oh hi Serge I almost forgot about you

Comment

I hope masai addresses the "lied to Derozan" thing tomorrow. A lot of people are still hung up on that
            Masai may not directly discuss that detail but he'll be gushing over how much DD meant to him and the organization. Just like he did with Case when he fired him.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              How about a guy that’s gotten suspensions on multiple occasions for fighting and punching players?

Oh hi Serge I almost forgot about you

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                Masai may not directly discuss that detail but he'll be gushing over how much DD meant to him and the organization. Just like he did with Case when he fired him.
                Well if the media has any gonads they'll ask him directly. Its too bad most of the media in Toronto is all under the Rogers/bell/MLSE giant monopoly that runs the city
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  He wants to be a Raptor now because of Kawhi and Kyle.
                  Raptors don't want him. I can think of at least 20 SFs better than him.

Comment

• Serge Scariolo coming as the third coaching hire, as per front page

Comment

I really think it's just a misunderstanding. I don't think Masai is that type of guy - especially with the facilities and culture he's trying to build. Doesn't make sense.

Not saying DeMar is lying, but I think he just misunderstood what was said.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                        Yeah that is one of the few parts still lingering for me.

I get the trade, I get the reasons, but that is cold.

Possible explanation is that they believed the trade was dead. I know Woj said the deal was dead several times over.

They could have got a call saying, we aren't interested, started the process of moving on and then pulled the trigger.

There are possible explanations that don't include outright deceit. I'd like to hear it from Masai though.
                        Sometimes you hear what you want to hear.
                        Why Ujiri would say something along those lines after the "everyone is for sale" talk starting on the leadup to the draft. He has had a few days to come up with how to address that very valid question before he breaks into his praise speech on what DD meant to the team.. the city...which won't be BS.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                          Raptors don't want him. I can think of at least 20 SFs better than him.
                          It was a joke. He's an ISO guy who can't ISO anymore. He's unwilling to be a catch and shoot and can't shoot good enough even if he was willing.

Comment

• I couldn't even say anything about this because I was so busy reading all of the info and takes and hearing the reactions.

These past couple of days have been the wildest I experienced as a Raptors fan, dating from 2003 when I started following them because as a child I played a basketball video game and thought it was wild that there is only one team from another country, and how cool their uniforms looked. You know, kid stuff. From then, I guess the struggle of the only foreign franchise in the NBA trying to figure things out and scratching for relevance really appealed to me, and I stayed with it, through various degrees of attention.

Even though I wholeheartedly agreed with the trade from every logical angle, it still took me like a good twenty four hours to be happy with it. This core coincided with the time just after I started really sinking into basketball as an obsession. Needless to say, DeRozan is a great part of it. I struggled with DeRozan as a player for the longest, and yet when he left, all that is left is the legacy. His departure, the break-up of this core, and specifically his duo with Lowry, is one of the most bitter feelings ever.

But even though I'm still sad, I was as ready as I could be for it. It just simply had run its course, on the court, and even off it, it just felt like the cycle was over. I hope there's a misunderstanding and things didn't end up in a bad note, but I take solace in the fact that our guy is at least going to a model franchise. In that sense, the FO did as good by him as they could.

Now there's a new reality for us to embrace. Man, it's gonna be weird to see Kyle on the court and on interviews without DeRozan, provided he stays. But I feel optimistic, because on basketball terms, this has the potential to be special. Most of the talk about Kawhi is about the red flags, and of course they're important, but we're never able to do this were they not there, and frankly, worse situations were turned around in the league, and in the franchise.

The main part really is the core of all this: the sport itself. If we reach our potential, the chance the Raptors' new star stays goes up dramatically. We're trying to carve up a new fate, a better hope. And if it doesn't, we embrace our current destiny earlier. This season is going to be something else, certainly a historic one, one way or another. I feel like that blown-away, curious kid again.
                            Last edited by GuiJaeger; Thu Jul 19, 2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• If we are gonna resign Kawhi Leonard, we need to surround him with better players. I propose a few trades

1) Toronto out: Serge Ibaka, Malachi Richardson
                              Toronto in: resigned Montrezl Harrell, Danilo Galinari

2) Toronto out: Kyle Lowry, OG Anunoby, Norman Powell
                              Toronto in: Jeff Teague, Andrew Wiggins

Our Lineups becomes
                              Teague
                              Wiggins
                              KL
                              MHarrell
                              Valanciunas

Key Benches
                              Delon/FVV
                              Danny Green
                              Danilo Galinari
                              Siakam
                              Backup Center

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                                If we are gonna resign Kawhi Leonard, we need to surround him with better players. I propose a few trades

1) Toronto out: Serge Ibaka, Malachi Richardson
                                Toronto in: resigned Montrezl Harrell, Danilo Galinari

2) Toronto out: Kyle Lowry, OG Anunoby, Norman Powell
                                Toronto in: Jeff Teague, Andrew Wiggins

Our Lineups becomes
                                Teague
                                Wiggins
                                KL
                                MHarrell
                                Valanciunas

Key Benches
                                Delon/FVV
                                Danny Green
                                Danilo Galinari
                                Siakam
                                Backup Center

You said better players, then suggested trading Lowry and OG for Wiggins...
                                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Working...
                                X