This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Influence is one thing, but saying the cap sheet is because of Casey is like saying the President's mistakes should be blamed on the Secretary of State.

Besides, JV has been one of our more difficult contracts to move and he's clearly not a Casey guy.
    I still don't understand how JV's contract can be difficult to move. 15 mil is like 8 mil 4 years ago...
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
      I still don't understand how JV's contract can be difficult to move. 15 mil is like 8 mil 4 years ago...
      Yeah his contract isn't difficult, it's getting value out of any trade using him.

Comment

It's not the size of the contract but moreso the fit I think. Probably not alot of teams looking for a traditional, slower footed type C. Everyone wants the Capela types these days. So he can probably be moved easily enough if you want to attach assets with him, which is something MU might be hesitant to do.

Comment

JV has been our most valuable asset for years, the trouble is not finding somebody to take the contract, but finding somebody that has worthwhile value to give in return.

Comment

• "JV needs to be moved" isn't even a thing after what he showed this season.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
              Casey being fired, I feel, is only the first domino to fall. Personally other than the young guys(mainly OG), I think anyone on this roster could be gone. Personally, I would like to see them shop Lowry, Ibaka and one of JV/Poetl.

I know Derozan is flawed, but it would be nice to see him work with another coach. Additionally he has always been heralded as a work horse, which would be a great influence to the young guys. Who knows he could come back next year with a better 3 point shot, and actually play defence (he has surprised us each year).

I don't know if I would try to get a PG back though. I think we could just try to go after wings and have either FVV or Delon start (depending on the matchup) and try to just load up with position-less wing roles. Preferably ones that could play D as well.

I know it's been mentioned but if Kawhi could be got for a combination of Ibaka, JV, Poetl, or Powell that would be huge. Add to that Lowry for Wiggins and we could have a very interesting core.

FVV, Wright
              Demar, Wiggins, OG, Kawhi, Siakam
              Either Poetl or JV as a big

obviously you would need to fill out role players, but in the right context I think that line up could be dangerous. Multiple scoring threats, Multiple defensive first guys, and a true big for when the need arises.
              if you could get kawhi without giving up OG and Demar that would be nutty.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                So I guess its likely that the whole coaching staff is let go right?
                not necessarily but often times you take some ppl with you when you go .

Comment

It's an average of $17 million for the next two years, and the league has moved away from traditional centres. Plus that salary inflation comparison is a little misleading now that no one has any cap space.

Quirk wrote:
                  JV has been our most valuable asset for years, the trouble is not finding somebody to take the contract, but finding somebody that has worthwhile value to give in return.
                  Value is defined by what someone is willing to give you. If you shop a guy for two years and can't get a positive return, his contract is not valuable. And this is coming from one of JV's biggest cheerleaders. The player and the contract are not the same thing.

S.R. wrote: View Post
                  "JV needs to be moved" isn't even a thing after what he showed this season.
                  I don't think it needs to happen but I still think it's between JV and Norm (probably Norm) as to who will be moved for luxury tax relief. Masai will likely want to re-sign FVV and we're already like $7 million over already. No one is going to take Serge and it doesn't sounds like Kyle/DD are going anywhere.

Plus there's this:

So when the Raptors lost Game 1 in overtime, Ujiri took the loss especially hard, stewing on it well into the following day. A turnover resulting from a failed inbounds play with 2:27 left in Game 1 and the Raptors up by a point was a sticking point. Casey’s decision to play Serge Ibaka and Jonas Valanciunas together against a small Cavs lineup centred around Kevin Love was another.
                  So maybe Masai doesn't see Jonas as a counter to small lineups, and we already have Poeltl.

But who knows. Maybe MLSE springs for the tax. Maybe the new coach is a giant JV fan.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Confirming it won't be just Casey moving. Good!

Comment

He's not, it's a narrative spun here by people who don't want him to get traded.

He makes average starter money in the new cap environment. Somehow he's impossible to trade but at the same time he should be getting 20 shots up a game and would be a superstar if given the chance.

Comment

• for the first time ever... The raptors and the relieving of their coach are THE story today...

This despite the announcement by the Leafs they have hired a new GM ....

Maybe there are fans beyond the 20 odd thousand that pack the ACC and Jurassic Park in the playoffs.....
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                            He's not, it's a narrative spun here by people who don't want him to get traded.

He makes average starter money in the new cap environment. Somehow he's impossible to trade but at the same time he should be getting 20 shots up a game and would be a superstar if given the chance.
                            Who said he was hard to trade? The story the whole time has been that if we just wanted to get out of his salary that would be easy, but the team recognizes his value and wants value back in a deal - and in a league going away from traditional centres, his trade value will always be less than his value to the team.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Who said he was hard to trade? The story the whole time has been that if we just wanted to get out of his salary that would be easy, but the team recognizes his value and wants value back in a deal - and in a league going away from traditional centres, his trade value will always be less than his value to the team.

Zach Lowe, October 2017

How about Valanciunas for Tyson Chandler? Toronto gets a win-now veteran and the same years-and-money reduction; Phoenix exchanges a geezer for a 25-year-old. Eh. Unloading deals that extend past the summer of 2019, when some of the bubble contracts come off the books, is going to be really hard. The market will loosen up in July, when more cap room pops open and those deals creep a year closer to expiration.

Even then, Toronto may have to attach another asset to dump Valanciunas.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                Zach Lowe, October 2017
                                Didn't realize Zach Lowe was the RR poster Shaolin was referring to.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X