• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately I think the most likely options for Kawhi are:

a) stays in San Antonio and signs supermax extension
    b) waits one year for free agency and goes to a large market
    c) gets dealt for a package with at least one lotto pick, like Boston's Kings pick or the Philly 10th

But it's nice to dream
    Would a team really take a 10th overall pick over a legitimate star and a promising prospect...?

Comment

• I really don’t think there are a lot of teams that can beat an offer of DeMar and one of our young players.

The only packages I can think of that even come close are things I don’t see teams offering:
      -Boston (Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum)

Or things I genuinely don’t see beating our offer
      -Phila (Markelle Fultz and Dario Saric and 10th pick)

Comment

• What would become DeMar if he goes to SA?

Also, I think the best thing Masai can do this summer is get the best player he can (via draft, FA or trade) to complete this really good core we already have, and this, without trading away any significant part of this core or any significant draft pick.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
          Would a team really take a 10th overall pick over a legitimate star and a promising prospect...?
          Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
          I really don’t think there are a lot of teams that can beat an offer of DeMar and one of our young players.

The only packages I can think of that even come close are things I don’t see teams offering:
          -Boston (Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum)

Or things I genuinely don’t see beating our offer
          -Phila (Markelle Fultz and Dario Saric and 10th pick)
          You're overrating DeMar, at least to the Spurs. They care about fit before star power. DeMar doesn't play D, doesn't have a high BBIQ, and got benched in crunchtime of a playoff game.

If it was the Lakers, sure, they might go for it, but not the Spurs. The Spurs would take a pick so they could mold the guy they want to fit their vision. Plus DD and LMA always rank at the top of midrange FGA and would be redundant in that space.

That said, if Kawhi is healthy and we could get him for DD+Poeltl, it would immediately be the best trade in franchise history and likely one of the best of the past ten years.

Comment

You're overrating DeMar, at least to the Spurs. They care about fit before star power. DeMar doesn't play D, doesn't have a high BBIQ, and got benched in crunchtime of a playoff game.

If it was the Lakers, sure, they might go for it, but not the Spurs. The Spurs would take a pick so they could mold the guy they want to fit their vision. Plus DD and LMA always rank at the top of midrange FGA and would be redundant in that space.

That said, if Kawhi is healthy and we could get him for DD+Poeltl, it would immediately be the best trade in franchise history and likely one of the best of the past ten years.
            I think a fundamental question that hasn't been answered is "Can DeMar play league average defense consistently if he puts his mind to it?" We have seen stretches in games, and even games in a row where it seems he has focused on playing better D. Has this most recent fourth quarter benching finally caused him to commit to defense? His comments at the end of the season about looking at his game and working hard to get better in the off season might be an indication.

Masai has said that he hasn't even had time to sit down with either DD or Lowry for their end of season interviews. Last year, he instituted a culture change, that stuck far better than anyone predicted. Can he institute a "Come to Jesus" moment with Derozan? Is defense something DeMar can work on over the summer?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              I think a fundamental question that hasn't been answered is "Can DeMar play league average defense consistently if he puts his mind to it?" We have seen stretches in games, and even games in a row where it seems he has focused on playing better D. Has this most recent fourth quarter benching finally caused him to commit to defense? His comments at the end of the season about looking at his game and working hard to get better in the off season might be an indication.

Masai has said that he hasn't even had time to sit down with either DD or Lowry for their end of season interviews. Last year, he instituted a culture change, that stuck far better than anyone predicted. Can he institute a "Come to Jesus" moment with Derozan? Is defense something DeMar can work on over the summer?
              Hopefully the answer to that is yes. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to have below average defenders in the pace and space era. I would argue it’s next to impossible to be successful with multiple poor defenders on the court together. IE if we keep Derozan him and Miles can’t play together.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Clown.
                Might be my least favourite raptors player.

Comment

Clown.
                  Everyday I'm bricking

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I mean that one article said Masai already read DeMar the riot act, and talked about defense, so if it's a question of effort I'm not sure he can or will get better. It's been nine seasons. But a new coach may help hold DeMar accountable.

Comment

Clown.
                      WTF? Is he high?

Man, I was skeptical about this guy from the minute we signed him. And then when I heard him self-proclaim himself JYD 2.0 and talk about fighting with a bear, I just knew 100% he was full of it.

Comment

I dont' know about Spurs being so fixated on fit and character anymore. In recent years, they've been just happy to get whatever they can, i.e., tier 2 & tier 3 stars, like Aldridge, Gasol and Gay. They've got small market problems, just like OKC and Utah. If not for Pop, the Spurs history and state taxes, free agents wouldn't think twice about going there.

That said, I think we could offer them 2 options for Kawhi: (1) would be a package centered around DeMar, if they want a ready-made all-star replacement for Kawhi. (2) Would be a 3-way trade where Demar goes to Minnesota, and Wiggins + Wolves pick + young player (Yak/Siak/Delon) goes to the Spurs.

Option #2 would be to compete with a Boston offer of Brown/Tatum + pick/prospect, if they're trying to get a young player, but with the downside that Wiggins is already a max guy - but he is a former #1 overall pick.

Comment

• Might be stating the obvious here, but the Kawhi-Spurs relationship has deteriorated quite a bit. There's also the fact that he's dealing with an injury that's been a bit controversial/unknown in its true nature and extent, and hasn't played basketball in a while now. There's at least some risk there for whoever takes him on, and also incentive to leave the Spurs, so we might not see a whole lot of teams giving up the farm to get him.

He's obviously still a heck of a player to get, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something on the lines of a "Paul George" style trade, where they get two solid prospects + pick, or all star + prospect or something on those lines. We'd have that if we're putting Derozan or Lowry on the mix. (might need a 3rd team if a draft pick is needed though)

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                            Might be stating the obvious here, but the Kawhi-Spurs relationship has deteriorated quite a bit. There's also the fact that he's dealing with an injury that's been a bit controversial/unknown in its true nature and extent, and hasn't played basketball in a while now. There's at least some risk there for whoever takes him on, and also incentive to leave the Spurs, so we might not see a whole lot of teams giving up the farm to get him.

He's obviously still a heck of a player to get, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something on the lines of a "Paul George" style trade, where they get two solid prospects + pick, or all star + prospect or something on those lines. We'd have that if we're putting Derozan or Lowry on the mix. (might need a 3rd team if a draft pick is needed though)
                            If the deal is made after the draft, we can offer our 2019 1st.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                              If the deal is made after the draft, we can offer our 2019 1st.
                              Sweet. If there was ever a time to get him, it's this year. His individual and team defence is precisely what this team needs, it'd be a fantastic fit.

Comment

• Casey's farewell to Toronto letter is quite wonderful and makes me sad. I was defending him all season and in the past because I loved the team culture that was developing but even I believe after this playoff that he had to be replaced. But what a fine individual. I was a Spurs fan before I came over to the Raptors 5 or 6 years ago and they would still be my number 2 team. I found Kawhi's behaviour over this season quite odd; especially his not sitting on the bench or coming to the games when clearly he wasn't lying in a hospital bed somewhere. He's long been seen as the "reluctant superstar" who was humble, non attention seeking and unselfish on the court. This might not be the case any longer. His injury is also mysterious enough to make me very uncertain about his ever being 100% of his peak self again. If an attractive deal could be made....maybe. I wouldn't give away too much though. I like the idea of Demar and something for Kemba Walker. He's a talented player who seems like he could be a winner on the right team. That would also clear the way to deal with the decline of Lowry.

Comment

Working...
                                X