This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmie wrote: View Post
    If your assumption is that, right now, Leonard is going to LA next July, then you don't trade for him. It's not worth the assets you have to send out, in some vain hope that you can convince him to stay. That's not logical, it's not good risk management, and it's not Ujiri's style. I get that you guys have no use for Demar at all, but it seriously just doesn't jive with how MU has been developing the franchise.
    But that's not my assumption at all. Read my post again. My assumption is that Leonard is coming here (or anywhere) with the intention to go to LA. Heck, that's barely an assumption, that's essentially a given.

You definitely trade for him and hope to change his mind. Masai saw his slow and steady method meet a hard ceiling in Denver and he's seen it happen again here. He will know at some point he has to swing for the fences - and if he wants to do that without tanking (which I would say is probably his preference), he needs to make a risk move like this.

That said, the flight risk is real, which is why I've advocated for limiting long term cost in any trade - meaning not trading OG or a first rounder past next season - and also advocated for maintaining as much winning power as possible in any trade, maximizing your chance of dodging that rental status.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      I think theres every chance derozan isn't even the center piece, and masai is trying to move either ibaka or JV. Ibaka obviously being way way tougher..
      I think so, too. I can see Derozan staying, and other players being moved out. (not Kyle though).

Comment

• It's a risk, but the downside is the rebuild potentially starts one year earlier, which isn't a big deal.
        Giving up DeMar (+?) for nothing is a big deal.

Comment

• gk17 wrote: View Post
          I believe it, when I see it. I don't think that his value decreases if he sits out another season. Everybody knows what he's capable of - if he wants to give his best.
          His value definitely decreases if he sits another year. I'm already getting the sense the trade offers spurs are receiving for supposedly a top 5 player are very underwhelming
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• suspenders wrote: View Post
            I think so, too. I can see Derozan staying, and other players being moved out. (not Kyle though).
            It's just hard to even come up with a trade that fits that description. How do we beat other teams' offers if we aren't leveraging a star? Even Boston and Philly's tertiary we-don't-really-care offers are better than our prospect-based offers, unless we are risking a lot of long term picks, which we absolutely should not do.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Wow.. Isaiah Thomas went to Denver for the vet minimum (about $2M). Guess Brink's got lost on their way to his house.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                His value definitely decreases if he sits another year. I'm already getting the sense the trade offers spurs are receiving for supposedly a top 5 player are very underwhelming
                They must be, for the Raps to even be in the discussion.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We aren't giving up anything for nothing.

We're giving up those players to take a swing for the fences on a top-5 talent in his prime, and hope we can retain him past the season. This is an opportunity that might not come up again in a long time.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Ellington is back with the Heat.. 1 year, $6.3M. Lots of guys wanted him in Toronto.

Comment

• http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_deman...-Interview.mp3

Comment

If you're going to end up having to make big changes starting next summer, then yes, it's not a big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Ellington is back with the Heat.. 1 year, $6.3M. Lots of guys wanted him in Toronto.
                          Zero space for him. No money and our backcourt is clogged.

Raptors were never going to be players in free agency.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            But that's not my assumption at all. Read my post again. My assumption is that Leonard is coming here (or anywhere) with the intention to go to LA. Heck, that's barely an assumption, that's essentially a given.

You definitely trade for him and hope to change his mind. Masai saw his slow and steady method meet a hard ceiling in Denver and he's seen it happen again here. He will know at some point he has to swing for the fences - and if he wants to do that without tanking (which I would say is probably his preference), he needs to make a risk move like this.

That said, the flight risk is real, which is why I've advocated for limiting long term cost in any trade - meaning not trading OG or a first rounder past next season - and also advocated for maintaining as much winning power as possible in any trade, maximizing your chance of dodging that rental status.
                            Yeah, if it's a given that he won't stay, you don't make the trade. What makes you think a year in Toronto will change his mind?

If you can't change his mind, then what was the point at all? This is NBA2K talk, not real franchise management. Again, it would be exciting to see Toronto be part of a big trade like this and to see the best player ever to put on a Raptors uniform (if he's healthy and stays healthy), for sure, and best case scenario, making it to the Finals for the first time. But that's for fans. If I'm a GM, I need more assurance that this move isn't a one-year wonder.

There's no guarantee that they don't make the Finals this year anyway, without a trade; it's quite possible they do better than last year simply by running it back without having to go through Lebron. If Kawhi comes, buys in, and is healthy, they're better than last year on paper, and maybe it makes beating Boston and Philly easier, but it doesn't even make it a lock, especially if you're sending out 2/3 or 3/4 of your bench and backfilling with the likes of Giddy Potts and Malachi Richardson.

In other words, if you think there's a very good chance that Leonard is a rental and leaves in July, what was the point of having him for one year? The base premise here is that's it's far less likely you can change his mind than the opposite. He seems like a pretty stubborn dude by this point.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• This guy wrote the dumbest, most negative article about the potential trade. He's a Boston writer.
                              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                We aren't giving up anything for nothing.

We're giving up those players to take a swing for the fences on a top-5 talent in his prime, and hope we can retain him past the season. This is an opportunity that might not come up again in a long time.
                                For me the risk to end up with nothing is too high. That's why I wouldn't offer more than Ibaka + pick(s)

Comment

Working...
                                X