2018 Winter Olympics - Pyeongchang, South Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rocwell wrote: View Post
    Oh, he was born in Netherlands, but skates for us. That's nice.

Foreign-born Olympic athletes are known as "Plastic Brits" in the UK
    Kinda like they call some Irish-Canadians/Americans/English "Plastic Paddy".

Comment

Boom! Ted-Jan Bloemen has won a gold medal(and a silver medal in the men's 5000m) at the men's 10,000m speed-skating final. Set a new Olympic record and became the first Canadian to ever top the podium in the 10,000m!

Take a bow!
      Yeah, it's a nice signature event win for Canada, even if he's really Dutch. But we have a tonne of Dutch in Canada, so it's all good.

I laughed this morning when I saw that Canada's women's curling team is 0-2. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people. I would absolutely laugh my ass off if they don't get a medal. Would be a good humbling/humiliating experience for them...

Comment

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Yeah, it's a nice signature event win for Canada, even if he's really Dutch. But we have a tonne of Dutch in Canada, so it's all good.

I laughed this morning when I saw that Canada's women's curling team is 0-2. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people. I would absolutely laugh my ass off if they don't get a medal. Would be a good humbling/humiliating experience for them...
          Curling seems to be on 10 of the channels 24/7, drives me absolutely bonkers.

Comment

Comment

The one event I had wanted to watch has come and gone apparently, with no mention of winners or anything - Snowboard Cross. I listen to sports radio all day... they don't do a very good job at letting us know what's on and when it will be on... except for curling, you know that's just always on.

What the hell else is left to watch? Don't tell me the hockey...

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                The one event I had wanted to watch has come and gone apparently, with no mention of winners or anything - Snowboard Cross. I listen to sports radio all day... they don't do a very good job at letting us know what's on and when it will be on... except for curling, you know that's just always on.

What the hell else is left to watch? Don't tell me the hockey...
                The men's event was awful. One guy broke his neck. I thought the Canadian guy had actually been killed on course. I'm not joking. How no one died is a miracle. The course was brutal. I didn't even watch the women.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  The men's event was awful. One guy broke his neck. I thought the Canadian guy had actually been killed on course. I'm not joking. How no one died is a miracle. The course was brutal. I didn't even watch the women.
                  I did see some of the Apline and Slalom skiing, those women were actually flying down the hill, sometimes like 80 yards they said. I can only imagine what the Snowboard X was like... I'll have to check out some highlights at least.

Sad to hear about a broken neck though, even though the athletes know what they're getting into. The luge is insane as well.

Comment

the winner of the women's super-G skiing is also competing in snowboarding at the olympics, that is insane.

Nice to see Boutin pick up another short-track bronze after drawing the ire of Korea's internet idiots earlier in the week, and Girard winning a gold was cool.

Too bad our sochi medallist women's slopestyle skiers crashed out.

Also nice to see Rachel Homan not whiff on basic shots in the women's curling, but maybe it's too little too late at this point. Can't say i'm too impressed with her attitude compared to other curlers we've sent, but maybe i'm just reading too much into her game face.

Comment

Russian medalist has failed a preliminary doping test...

Comment

Cassie Sharpe! 18th medal for Canada!

Comment

Russian medalist has failed a preliminary doping test...
                          You missed the best part though!.. It's in CURLING! Lol

Comment

Tessa and Scott with the gold!

Golden Monday

Comment

Now that the Russians can't bring in baby urine by the litre to sub in for their actual urine tests and are being watched like hawks (though some guy still got implicated in doping in curling of all things) have to rub my eyes and look twice at their medal count....

0 Gold
                              3 Sliver
                              8 Bronze.

These guys can't win if they don't cheat and have the entire team on the juice.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

cassie sharpe is head and shoulders above the rest of the field in her competition (ski half pipe). One of the few doing inverted tricks and she brings multiple of them to each run.

I don't understand ice dancing at all but Virtue and Moir seem pretty good at it, eh?

Short track speed skating continues to be a total goddamn shitshow. We got disqualified in the women's 3000m relay for obstruction at the finish line, but Korea had 2 skaters on the track without doing an exchange with 5 laps to go. That second skater wandered into the track from the inside, blocked 2 teams' active skaters, and then left the track again, and did not get a penalty. Korea then caused a crash on the next exchange, which also went unpenalized. That nation, as good as they are, has a relatively bad reputation for playing dirty in the sport, and this doesn't help them.
                                Last edited by KHD; Tue Feb 20, 2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X