Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Winter Olympics - Pyeongchang, South Korea

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 2018 Winter Olympics - Pyeongchang, South Korea

No NHLers in the Men's Ice Hockey is a let down for sure, but Canada is usually very strong overall in the Winter games, so I expect it to be another good showing.

Go Canada Go!
    Just one year away... Bruno is almost here!

Raptors Republic Superstar slaw's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, it's hard to understate just how important hosting the games in Calgary in '88 was and how the facilities there and the approach adopted after Calgary have transformed Canadian winter sports.

80 - 2 medals. no gold
    '84- 4 medals. 2 gold. (3 from one guy)
    88- 5 medals. No gold.
    92- 7 medals. 2 gold.
    94- 13 medals. 3 gold.
    98- 15 medals. 6 gold.
    '02- 17 medals. 7 gold.
    '06- 24 medals. 7 gold.
    '10- 26 medals. 14 gold. Won gold medal count. 3d by most medals.
    '14- 25 medals. 10 gold.

I remember growing up when it was a big deal if Canada even won a medal. In anything. They'd bring the guy/gal in studio and it would be an hour long interview and be replayed for days. Now, they win so many in a day you barely see them on TV.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

7 already this year, just a few days in. #ownthepodium

I'm most interested in the snowboarding events right now. Can't wait for the Snowboard Cross and Halfpipe events.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I usually am a sucker for the Olympics either summer or winter, but for some reason this year I can't get into it. Maybe its because there are no NHLers, or that the Raptors are really good, or that the games are in Korea, or that I finally don't have a TV subscription (that's probably it to be frank).. but still. No idea what games are played, who's in them, or what's happening.

What's the best place to find highlights? For the summer olympics I believe I just went to cbc.ca. Are they still broadcasting it this year?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I usually am a sucker for the Olympics either summer or winter, but for some reason this year I can't get into it. Maybe its because there are no NHLers, or that the Raptors are really good, or that the games are in Korea, or that I finally don't have a TV subscription (that's probably it to be frank).. but still. No idea what games are played, who's in them, or what's happening.

What's the best place to find highlights? For the summer olympics I believe I just went to cbc.ca. Are they still broadcasting it this year?
    Yeah, CBC has video feeds and highlight packages.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    She came in 4th in 2 olympics to miss out on medals.They disqualified a Russian to give her a medal then the courts overturned that.Damn right she's happy.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

korean fans sending death threats to our short track speed skater now after this morning's 500m.

gotta love that olympic spirit.

the korean skater clearly cut her off and made contact in doing so. Easy call.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post

i am finding it hard to get into as well. i think it's the time difference. when the games are in the americas or europe there are events on during the day and everyone is generally keeping tabs on it, so there's a general buzz around the office. Not the case this time.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    i am finding it hard to get into as well. i think it's the time difference. when the games are in the americas or europe there are events on during the day and everyone is generally keeping tabs on it, so there's a general buzz around the office. Not the case this time.
    The time diff and that the big boys aren't there in Hockey. In anycase my own viewing of the Olympics is more with the summer games. My favourite events in the winter games are the speed skating (ovals) and downhill events. We are spoiled with "live" broadcasts I think.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    korean fans sending death threats to our short track speed skater now after this morning's 500m.

gotta love that olympic spirit.

the korean skater clearly cut her off and made contact in doing so. Easy call.
    She had to delete her social media accounts. Unreal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Men's Halfpipe was a pretty good show, admittedly I only saw a few riders as I did watch the Raps game. There's such a difference in the Men's and Women's events, you really notice it on the halfpipe(air) and the moguls. Shaun White did crush it on his final run to take the gold.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    The Men's Halfpipe was a pretty good show, admittedly I only saw a few riders as I did watch the Raps game. There's such a difference in the Men's and Women's events, you really notice it on the halfpipe(air) and the moguls. Shaun White did crush it on his final run to take the gold.
    I didn't actually count but it felt like at least 50% of the women running that half pipe fell. I didn't watch the entire men's event but I only recall seeing one or two 'fall' and even then they weren't wipeouts. Having watched that and the slope style I honestly wonder whether some of these events for women are premature as the sport isn't mature enough (I'm honestly shocked no one was seriously injured or killed on that slope style course and I know the conditions were bad but they were bad the men, too) but perhaps it's just the Olympics where the fields aren't necessarily indicative of the top performers on those tours.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boom! Ted-Jan Bloemen has won a gold medal(and a silver medal in the men's 5000m) at the men's 10,000m speed-skating final. Set a new Olympic record and became the first Canadian to ever top the podium in the 10,000m!

Take a bow!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, he was born in Netherlands, but skates for us. That's nice.

Foreign-born Olympic athletes are known as "Plastic Brits" in the UK
    Last edited by rocwell; Thu Feb 15th, 2018 at 08:16 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, he was born in Netherlands, but skates for us. That's nice.

Foreign-born Olympic athletes are known as "Plastic Brits" in the UK
    Kinda like they call some Irish-Canadians/Americans/English "Plastic Paddy".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boom! Ted-Jan Bloemen has won a gold medal(and a silver medal in the men's 5000m) at the men's 10,000m speed-skating final. Set a new Olympic record and became the first Canadian to ever top the podium in the 10,000m!

Take a bow!
    Yeah, it's a nice signature event win for Canada, even if he's really Dutch. But we have a tonne of Dutch in Canada, so it's all good.

I laughed this morning when I saw that Canada's women's curling team is 0-2. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people. I would absolutely laugh my ass off if they don't get a medal. Would be a good humbling/humiliating experience for them...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Yeah, it's a nice signature event win for Canada, even if he's really Dutch. But we have a tonne of Dutch in Canada, so it's all good.

I laughed this morning when I saw that Canada's women's curling team is 0-2. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people. I would absolutely laugh my ass off if they don't get a medal. Would be a good humbling/humiliating experience for them...
    Curling seems to be on 10 of the channels 24/7, drives me absolutely bonkers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information