No announcement yet.

Creating something new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More often than not, the team that wins has top 3 player with the more all stars surrounding him than the other top 3 guys

Often though, depth has trumped superstars. Detroit has done it in 2 eras, once back to back. Spurs did it. Dallas did it. The Celtics did it in 2008 (star talent but not super duper star)

So in the last 28 years it's happened 6 times. And I don't think it can happen when 2 of the world's top 3 players play for the same team. Point is it can happen
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I think someone mentioned that the rotation has to shrink down to 8 for play offs and masai (on tsn) recently asked who made up that rule. I think that is a very good question to ask. There is no reason why we have to run 8 deep when it works well with 10. It keeps everyone way more fresh. No one really feels left out. I think its our strength and it is what sets us apart.

I was happy to read you say that Masai recently said this.

I too have been a bit concerned about this.... we have had so much success with our Bench mob as a cohesive unit (FVV, Delon, CJ, Jak, Pascal), 5 guys who all play well together. Moreover, I have almost no idea who the guy or two we would cut out of that rotation would be. (First of all, all 5 play well together. cut Delon? No, he is projected as our PG of the future for many years to come, and is so useful on offense and defense thanks to his size and length. FVV? He has been our steadiest guy most games and really runs that 2nd unit to perfection. Also hits shots sometimes when it looks like nobody else on that unit can. Jak and Pascal work really well *together* too and it's hard to imagine just having one of them in the rotation?...)

I just feel anxious about the idea of cutting it down to an 8-man rotation in the playoffs, just because that's how everyone does it. I feel a lot more comfortable about keeping our bench mob together, and why not give it a go with our patented 10-man rotation and see how that serves us?

To be frank, I hate to say it but we all have seen our share of games this season where the bench has pretty much out-performed the starters. (as with the last few games).

Some days the starters are strong, some days the 5-man bench is strong. Let's perhaps keep both units together (and throw in some DD+bench, etc., that also seem to work well at times), and see whether this experiment keeps working in the playoffs.

Comment

One other thing that Masai seems to value is IQ. The NBA has become switch-heavy and teams constantly run actions until a defender screws up. Having smart, well-coached defenders makes life difficult for even the best offensive systems. Making correct decisions in transition prevents easy baskets. Simply not screwing up goes a long way in making a strong defence.

Our second unit shows outwardly limited players (can't shoot, too short etc) with smarts and effort can be moulded into a very effective unit.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Wait.. intelligent discussion on an Internet message board? No name calling? No posts afflicted with CAPS LOCK syndrome?

Comment

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
            Wait.. intelligent discussion on an Internet message board? No name calling? No posts afflicted with CAPS LOCK syndrome?

The thread's title is "Create something new", afterall.

Don't talk about it -- you'll ruin it.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              One other thing that Masai seems to value is IQ. The NBA has become switch-heavy and teams constantly run actions until a defender screws up. Having smart, well-coached defenders makes life difficult for even the best offensive systems. Making correct decisions in transition prevents easy baskets. Simply not screwing up goes a long way in making a strong defence.

Our second unit shows outwardly limited players (can't shoot, too short etc) with smarts and effort can be moulded into a very effective unit.
              very good point I think basketball IQ is more important than the all other things because it is the thing that evolves the slowest.

It's basic adaptability and self-awareness.. things like positioning.

Comment

don't jinx it lol

Comment

Playing your starters 40 minutes or more works if they are physical specimens that re used to operating like that. It might not work so well if they aren't. The Raptors don't really have any defensive liabilities this season. Ibaka tires out, Bebe gets a little lost at times, DeMar can't deal with more than two switches and the refs love to call fouls on Yak. That's about it out of the top 12 guys. Given the energy, ability and focus everyone else brings, opponents are going to be worn out at the end of games and that can lead to a drop off in performance. With the Raptors offensive efficiency, it doesn't take many mistakes by an opponent for the door of opportunity to open.

My only concern is the ability of other teams coaches to come up with defensive strategies in a 7 game series. Can Casey weather that? Can the Raptors deal with having their two main guys placed under greater defensive pressure? The new emphasis on ball movement during the regular season would seem to be the answer to that.

Comment

Don't worry, once something perceived to be negative is said about Casey or DeMar (however valid or supported), the usual suspects will arrive to muck it up. Enjoy it while it lasts....

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                      Don't worry, once something perceived to be negative is said about Casey or DeMar (however valid or supported), the usual suspects will arrive to muck it up. Enjoy it while it lasts....
                      Notice I wasn't criticizing Casey, DeMar or Kyle, I was framing questions. So don't blame me if anything happens.

Comment

Comment

jalen lost me when he referred to the Raps as veteran laden.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            jalen lost me when he referred to the Raps as veteran laden.
                            I mean, the top 4 guys could all be consider seasoned vets. They're young and experienced at the same time
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I mean, the top 4 guys could all be consider seasoned vets. They're young and experienced at the same time
                              Five vets counting CJ. Kyle's got 10 years? DeMar 9 years? Ibaka 16? JV 5? And CJ is just a bench Dad. They're all vets.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                                Five vets counting CJ. Kyle's got 10 years? DeMar 9 years? Ibaka 16? JV 5? And CJ is just a bench Dad. They're all vets.
                                Ibaka is not 35 lol

Comment

Working...
                                X