Lowe: Play-in tournament to decide seeds 7 and 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    Why? because of the Raptors? they still have to go through Durant to win the championship.

One EC team that was rumoured to be in on Durant was Boston. I'll tell you what, i'd rather face a duo of Durant and Irving/IT over Durant/Curry/Green/Klay
    Please explain.

Comment

i don't see how this eliminates tanking in any way.

Basketball will never eliminate tanking until they do away with the draft. putting a generational talent on the floor means way more in this sport than in others.

Comment

Here's what it needs: winning the play-in round gets you improved draft odds. In fact, it just straight-up moves you up into the draft without giving you any lottery odds. Let's say, the 4 play-in winners get spots 5-8, with no lottery odds (so they won't move up, and teams that finish 5th-14th still have the same odds of winning the lottery they do now, but a worse pick if they don't win).

Fans are smart. So's management. They don't get suckered into 'yeah, we should totally throw away our chance at a high draft pick so that we can beat Detroit in a play-in game and then maybe win a game against a well-rested top seed in the first round.' But if you create a model for getting into the tanking one year, doing well enough the next to get a shot at a good pick this year, both teams and fans will get excited by that. If you think you've got better odds of getting into the play-in than tanking into the bottom four, then winning is the better strategy.

Part of the problem with competitive balance is how hard it is to get off that mediocre team treadmill. This is a treadmill-buster, since every year, some treadmill teams will be getting top 10 draft picks.

Comment

Sonny wrote: View Post
          Please explain.
          The Raptors path to winning a championship would be a a lot easier if Durant went to Boston or any other EC team.

Even if let's say the Raps win the East this year, they're not beating the Warriors in the Finals.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            So Zach Lowe has an article on a change the league is considering (or may not consider) for the future. Kind of a twist on an old Bill Simmon's suggestion.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...lay-tournament

Essentially the proposal would be that seeds 7-8-9-10 in each conference would play two mini tournaments. Seed 7 would face seed 8. The winner gets the 7th seed in the playoffs. Seeds 9 and 10 face each other.. and the winner gets to play the loser of the first game (between seeds 7/8) to get the 8th spot.
            I love this idea. Perfect balance of reward (finish 6th or above = guaranteed playoff) and risk (7/8 need to win 1 game to hit playoffs; 9/10 need to win 2 games to hit playoffs).

It's good exactly as written.

Comment

MLB wildcard system in the NBA would make 7-10 more interesting but I don't see how it does anything to address Cuban's tanking.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                MLB wildcard system in the NBA would make 7-10 more interesting but I don't see how it does anything to address Cuban's tanking.
                It doesnt exactly prevent tanking but it limits the number of teams that are trying tank especially near the end of the season when many teams start throwing games the second they are eliminated from the playoff race. Games should be more competitive right down to the last game of the season which is still a positive imo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Machine wrote: View Post
                  It doesnt exactly prevent tanking but it limits the number of teams that are trying tank especially near the end of the season when many teams start throwing games the second they are eliminated from the playoff race. Games should be more competitive right down to the last game of the season which is still a positive imo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
                  More competition works for me. Just needs more disincentive to bottom out. Kick in lottery percentage changes and/or snake 2nd round etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X