Game #65: Houston Rockets 105 - Toronto Raptors 108

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    I hear ya and I'm not one of them but I think it probably comes down to desperately wanting to keep Fred, more than wanting to lose anybody. Recognizing how well what we have works and fear of losing it.

I'm most curious to know right now, we've talked about in the past how the team only goes into the tax if it's for a real contender. With a win like yesterdays, is there much more we can do in the regular season to prove that's the case with this squad. Obviously, it'll ALL come down to how we perform in the playoffs, but I'm curious to know, (particularly from cap-expert DanH) do you think, with a win like yesterday's and the season as it's been, competing well against top competition all year, things start to lean at all in the direction of management just doing whatever they can to keep the band together, or do they shed salary no matter what?

I mean if it costs $10million per for FVV (to match an offer sheet), hasn't he proved he's worth that this year? Obviously the tax implications of that will take that number up significantly. But with our senior members coming off the book after two more seasons, could they just bear the tax for the time being?

I don't see how you can break up this squad as it stands. That said, does every young person the Raps develop just keep stepping up? Do you let Fred go and have Lorenzo Brown come in and deliver the same magic in the same role next year? Has Masai just discovered a way that continues going forward, filling up the bench with cheap, young talent?

(There's a loy of questions in there, ha. #WINNING!!!!!!!!!)
    It won't cost 10M for FVV. About 8-9M for the next two years is the most he'll cost and after that it won't matter much even if he somehow does get a >MLE offer.

But that 8-9M actually costs the team 25M+. So there's your question: is Fred VanVleet (or alternatively, Powell and a pick, the potential cost of clearing a salary to fit FVV in) worth 25M+ next year (and a good bit more than that the following year)?
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
      Guys get over Lorenzo brown! lol. He's not a young guy like our bench squad. He's like Demar's age and he is what he is at this point lol
      I'm not saying he's a superstar. I'm saying Masai has continuously tapped relative unknowns to fill roles and they've exceeded expectations. Your dismissive reaction is the same one many had about FVV and many of our other youths. I'm just asking, do we pay up to these young guys who are coming in undrafted and unheralded, or do we keep filling it with this cycle, minimum contracts from young guys waiting for an opportunity, trusting that the new system allows for players to succeed.

Obviously I'd like to see us keep Freddy. In the event we can't, we may find out what Brown can bring next year.

I wanna live and bask in the glow of the now. And I'm doing it. Also interested in what's to come.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        It won't cost 10M for FVV. About 8-9M for the next two years is the most he'll cost and after that it won't matter much even if he somehow does get a >MLE offer.

But that 8-9M actually costs the team 25M+. So there's your question: is Fred VanVleet (or alternatively, Powell and a pick, the potential cost of clearing a salary to fit FVV in) worth 25M+ next year (and a good bit more than that the following year)?
        Thanks Dan. Yeah, I don't know what level we'd have to get to, and how much Freddy would have to dominate in order to convince Masai and MLSE that FVV is worth 25million+, when Masai may be able to once again, dig someone even remotely comparable out of the bin.

Interesting dilemma to have. Good times in Raptorland.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
          I'm not saying he's a superstar. I'm saying Masai has continuously tapped relative unknowns to fill roles and they've exceeded expectations. Your dismissive reaction is the same one many had about FVV and many of our other youths. I'm just asking, do we pay up to these young guys who are coming in undrafted and unheralded, or do we keep filling it with this cycle, minimum contracts from young guys waiting for an opportunity, trusting that the new system allows for players to succeed.

Obviously I'd like to see us keep Freddy. In the event we can't, we may find out what Brown can bring next year.

I wanna live and bask in the glow of the now. And I'm doing it. Also interested in what's to come.
          I hear but fred and the other guys are about 23 and under and a guy like Delon only played in the league like 2 years and he barely got minutes in those years. I know Demar has defied all odds in the terms of continuously improving at his age but I doubt Lorenzo ends up being one of those guys. He most likely is what he is at this point and that's significantly worse than Fred. He's proven it when he's played. I not going to completely cancel him because anything's possible out but I highly doubt he replicates what Fred has been able to do if he were to take his minutes next season. If that situation were to happen though I hope to God I'm proven wrong
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
            I hear but fred and the other guys are about 23 and under and a guy like Delon only played in the league like 2 years and he barely got minutes in those years. I know Demar has defied all odds in the terms of continuously improving at his age but I doubt Lorenzo ends up being one of those guys. He most likely is what he is at this point and that's significantly worse than Fred. He's proven it when he's played. I not going to completely cancel him because anything's possible out but I highly doubt he replicates what Fred has been able to do if he were to take his minutes next season. If that situation were to happen though I hope to God I'm proven wrong
            Just G-league, but he's been pretty great for 905, no?
            Dropped a quick 30 points in his return from injury yesterday.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              Toronto Raptors have the best point differential in the NBA right now.
              The Toronto Raptors are good
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                The Toronto Raptors are good
                The Toronto Raptors are the best team in the eastern conference.

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                  The Toronto Raptors are the best team in the eastern conference.
                  Praise be also with you, Raptor Jesus
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                    X