This team isn't going to the finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    I just want to point out that when I said JV should come off the bench, I agreed that he was the 3rd best player on the team. In fact I think I specifically stated that sometimes teams do that with their top players because of fit. Starting Poeltl over him wasn't because Poeltl is better than JV but because he was better defensively, and because I thought the bench would need a talisman offensively given how offensively challenged most of these guys appeared to be prior to the season starting.

The Thunder brought James Harden off the bench for a similar reason as did the Spurs with Manu. They were still the third (arguably 2nd) best players on their teams.

I turned out to be wrong about it during the regular season, but don't act like I said JV was garbage or something. I just thought it was a better fit for the team overall. Plus it still might end up happening anyway in the playoffs.
    I got you man, just having some fun.

BTW, can you make an "Ibaka needs to come off the bench" post?

Comment

I just want to point out that when I said JV should come off the bench, I agreed that he was the 3rd best player on the team. In fact I think I specifically stated that sometimes teams do that with their top players because of fit. Starting Poeltl over him wasn't because Poeltl is better than JV but because he was better defensively, and because I thought the bench would need a talisman offensively given how offensively challenged most of these guys appeared to be prior to the season starting.

The Thunder brought James Harden off the bench for a similar reason as did the Spurs with Manu. They were still the third (arguably 2nd) best players on their teams.

I turned out to be wrong about it during the regular season, but don't act like I said JV was garbage or something. I just thought it was a better fit for the team overall. Plus it still might end up happening anyway in the playoffs.
      What have you seen this year that remotely suggests that Poeltl starting in JV's place would be anything other than a complete disaster?
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Idk what's ridiculous about it? All the concerns I've raised are valid. Having a strong bench does not matter as much in the playoffs. Our stars have traditionally played worse in the playoffs than the regular season, and typically the playoffs are when you need your stars to do the opposite.

Like I said, I'm happy to end up being wrong, but I'm concerned. Even Philly in the 2nd round to prove to be a potential stumbling block for us if Embiid and Simmons show out and Lowry/DeMar check out.
        It's good that you will be happy when you are inevitably wrong.

I mean, they may not go to the finals. If the 1 seed was supposed to guarantee the finals, why have the playoffs at all? But to suggest they don't have a real chance to make it is just intentionally pessimistic and antagonistic.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Our very own Skip Bayless!

Comment

Idk what's ridiculous about it? All the concerns I've raised are valid. Having a strong bench does not matter as much in the playoffs. Our stars have traditionally played worse in the playoffs than the regular season, and typically the playoffs are when you need your stars to do the opposite.

Like I said, I'm happy to end up being wrong, but I'm concerned. Even Philly in the 2nd round to prove to be a potential stumbling block for us if Embiid and Simmons show out and Lowry/DeMar check out.
            This is the kind of thing that everyone says, and no one really thinks about.

Why doesn't a bench matter in the playoffs? NO ONE plays a 5-man rotation in the playoffs.

Benches haven't mattered as much in the playoffs isn't the same as benches don't matter as much in the playoffs.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Trouble in Raptorland?

I think they are just tired of the grind or maybe the expectations are too high.

If they make it past two rounds, then that’s plateau. If they make it to the ECF and reach 7 games that’s setting a bar. If they reach the finals, that’s a feat.

As far as individual players, there are the James Harden, Lebron James, healthy Steph, healthy Durant’s of the world, elite players who are legitimate MVPs who can grind it out for 82 games plus 16 games, Raptors have none. So that’s the difference.

If Raptors gets embarrass again in the playoffs then it’s on Ujiri, loyalty may have to take a backseat this time.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Fatigue is a big factor. And we've been missing various guys for rest or injury, messing with that carefully calibrated chemistry we had going. Serge and DeMar have looked horrid for a solid two weeks now, coincidentally the two weeks with the roughest schedule on the year. Serge needed games off and it's super dumb the team didn't give him that, but it won't be an issue in the playoffs. DeMar needs to get his head on straight, because he's been super sloppy the last while (and doing nothing defensively), but I wonder how hard it is to grind out the season knowing they essentially have the 1st seed locked up.

The Boston games will be interesting, as they are the only games they really need to win if they want to lock down the 1 seed. If the effort is lacking then I'll be concerned.

As for Casey, he's been worrying me a bit lately, but on the year he's been pretty solid with his rotations compared to usual. His use of the small ball recently... I don't know whether to see that as problematic that he's using it wrong and too much, or just to assume he's getting that look some run thinking that they'll need it against small ball looks in the playoffs (while also explicitly NOT using it against the Cavs, to avoid letting that be scouted). Like, I've criticized Casey in the past for coaching to win every game too much with too little regard for the long term plan, and if what he's doing now is the opposite how can I complain? That said, there's every possibility he's just reverting to old ways, which would be bad, but with how well he and the team have done this season, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I don't like the reappearance of the 3 C rotation (plus Ibaka), but Poeltl does seem a little winded and this could just be letting him get his legs back under him. I don't like that OG doesn't play late in games, but the same logic could apply. I don't like that FVV has become a crutch in the 4th Q, but that's been one of the little issues all year. I don't like that Serge gets so many minutes when he clearly needs rest, but he'll get that rest come the playoffs so that could solve itself.
                I guess with the whole Casey issue I'm more worried than I should be because he's reverted back for a little while now and he's been a guy that makes bad lineup adjustments WAY more than he's been good with it. But you are right, if we are talking THIS season he's been much better for more than half the season and the small lineup with Ibaka hasn't worked when he's used it so hopefully he sees that going into the playoffs and doesn't do it again. Do you really think having 1 day of rest between every game in the playoffs is all Serge needs to play like himself? I don't know if I believe that only because when we do get one day off between games right now he stills come in and plays like shit as of late. Demar's play doesn't worry me too much for some reason. It probably should but it doesn't. I have faith in him and I like that he's still moving the ball more than he ever has before. He could still move it a bit more but this is a step in the right direction.

And yes OG needs to be closing certain games. Aka last night, when a guy like Fred is getting torched. His size sometimes hurts him and because of it he shouldn't be the closer no matter what. We need to be flexible with that. If you don't want to play OG at least play Delon (who also has more length than Fred). Lou struggles with length and size and we didn't even try to put one of our longer guys on him. It was so stupid. I thought Casey watching as a guy torches us and not doing anything about it was a thing of the past, I guess I was wrong. He also took WAY too long to bring JV back in. He needs to trust JV with fouls a little bit more.
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

It's good that you will be happy when you are inevitably wrong.

I mean, they may not go to the finals. If the 1 seed was supposed to guarantee the finals, why have the playoffs at all? But to suggest they don't have a real chance to make it is just intentionally pessimistic and antagonistic.
                  No offense but some peeps take your word like gold . Not only you enrich our b-ball knowledge with your stats and Capsology expertise but you also provide counseling. Hehe... jokes only.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                    I guess with the whole Casey issue I'm more worried than I should be because he's reverted back for a little while now and he's been a guy that makes bad lineup adjustments WAY more than he's been good with it. But you are right, if we are talking THIS season he's been much better for more than half the season and the small lineup with Ibaka hasn't worked when he's used it so hopefully he sees that going into the playoffs and doesn't do it again. Do you really think having 1 day of rest between every game in the playoffs is all Serge needs to play like himself? I don't know if I believe that only because when we do get one day off between games right now he stills come in and plays like shit as of late. Demar's play doesn't worry me too much for some reason. It probably should but it doesn't. I have faith in him and I like that he's still moving the ball more than he ever has before. He could still move it a bit more but this is a step in the right direction.

And yes OG needs to be closing certain games. Aka last night, when a guy like Fred is getting torched. His size sometimes hurts him and because of it he shouldn't be the closer no matter what. We need to be flexible with that. If you don't want to play OG at least play Delon (who also has more length than Fred). Lou struggles with length and size and we didn't even try to put one of our longer guys on him. It was so stupid. I thought Casey watching as a guy torches us and not doing anything about it was a thing of the past, I guess I was wrong. He also took WAY too long to bring JV back in. He needs to trust JV with fouls a little bit more.
                    The small ball look with Serge has actually worked great this year when it has been used, because it has been used sparingly and only against other small looks. It's a good look and one we may need, but obviously not against a lineup with Boban or DAJ at centre.

Yeah, the sitting with fouls thing makes sense on one condition: you are saving that player for a specific matchup that will kill you without him. And it even made sense to sit JV until DAJ came back except for one thing: they started using Boban at C, and he dominated our small bench. Absolutely no reason not to bring back JV early in the 4th once there was a matchup he was needed for.

No idea what Casey was thinking leaving Fred out there to get torched. Need a defender out there when the other team is running their entire offence off isolation.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Cavs in 7.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Cavs in 7.

Mr optimistic has changed guys! lol . But I could live with that result. As long as we don't get blown out this time around and we can push it to 7 games I'm good.
                        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

The small ball look with Serge has actually worked great this year when it has been used, because it has been used sparingly and only against other small looks. It's a good look and one we may need, but obviously not against a lineup with Boban or DAJ at centre.

Yeah, the sitting with fouls thing makes sense on one condition: you are saving that player for a specific matchup that will kill you without him. And it even made sense to sit JV until DAJ came back except for one thing: they started using Boban at C, and he dominated our small bench. Absolutely no reason not to bring back JV early in the 4th once there was a matchup he was needed for.

No idea what Casey was thinking leaving Fred out there to get torched. Need a defender out there when the other team is running their entire offence off isolation.
                          Oh okay I guess my eyes have failed me. Well it's good to know Serge at the 5 still works when used correctly. Yea leaving Fred out there along with keeping JV out was craziness. As long as he learns from this I'm okay with it. I'm giving Serge the benefit of the doubt until playoff time, but if this play continues Casey better have a short leash with him because he could lose us games playing like this. It just feels like Patterson all over again. Missing wide open look after wide open look. And now he isn't even playing good defence

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                            Mr optimistic has changed guys! lol . But I could live with that result. As long as we don't get blown out this time around and we can push it to 7 games I'm good.
                            I've been saying Cavs would win all year long. Raps don't have enough shooting or talent to make up for it. Raps will at least be blown out once. Thats what happens when both teams rely so much on 3s.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
                              This is the kind of thing that everyone says, and no one really thinks about.

Why doesn't a bench matter in the playoffs? NO ONE plays a 5-man rotation in the playoffs.

Benches haven't mattered as much in the playoffs isn't the same as benches don't matter as much in the playoffs.
                              Lebron has averaged 37 MPG in the regular season, but that goes up to 42 MPG in the playoffs (average), so our bench won't be going up against other team's benches like they are now, so that advantage is minimized. The other thing not talked about much is that there are a more TV timeouts in the playoffs, so the idea that our bench can wear out Lebron and the other starters is also not as promising as in the regular season. With no back-to-backs in the playoffs, both of those differences tend to favour aging superstars. I could see Lebron playing 44 minutes per game against us, easily, and staying at a high level. And the Cavs have replenished the roster with youthful depth to counter our energy. On the flip side, Ibaka should be as good as he can possibly get and he's been a playoff stud in the past (except for last year).

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                I've been saying Cavs would win all year long. Raps don't have enough shooting or talent to make up for it. Raps will at least be blown out once. Thats what happens when both teams rely so much on 3s.

.... and Casey will cough up at least 1 winnable game by not being able to adjust on the fly, which will be the difference in the series.

Comment

Working...
                                X