Everything 2018 Playoffs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    DeRozan doesn't seem to have the innate instincts to be a good defender.
    I can't get over how often he just doesn't really seem to try. His perimeter closeouts are lazy, he gets blown by by the likes of Joe Ingles. He makes anyone look like they have a killer first step.

Then every now and then, DD gets down in a defensive stance out on the perimeter and actually tries for a possession and you know he can do it (or at least he can do better) when he puts in the effort both mentally and physically.

With how good his attitude is overall, I don't really understand him defensively. At this point in his career he should take it as an embarrassment that his team has to hide him on the easiest defensive assignment every night. That's what pissed off Curry and motivated him to buckle down on D. YouTube highlights even embarrassed Harden into putting in a better effort defensively.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        I can't get over how often he just doesn't really seem to try. His perimeter closeouts are lazy, he gets blown by by the likes of Joe Ingles. He makes anyone look like they have a killer first step.

Then every now and then, DD gets down in a defensive stance out on the perimeter and actually tries for a possession and you know he can do it (or at least he can do better) when he puts in the effort both mentally and physically.

With how good his attitude is overall, I don't really understand him defensively. At this point in his career he should take it as an embarrassment that his team has to hide him on the easiest defensive assignment every night. That's what pissed off Curry and motivated him to buckle down on D. YouTube highlights even embarrassed Harden into putting in a better effort defensively.
        Demar's idol Kobe Bryant was much the same. He could play lockdown defence when he tried but often didn't. Kobe however VERY often tried in the playoffs and Demar doesn't seem to understand how that is crucial. I wish his model was Jordan who was always a factor at both ends. I also wonder why our perimeter defenders so often "steer" their man rather than play them square and just make it as hard as possible for them to have a path to the hoop. Often they steer them to the post who then has to challenge and either fouls or leaves the other post open for an easy dunk or layup. Lowry seems to do this particularly often.

Comment

• It sucks when you hate miami but you are cheering for them because you hate philly more, and goran dragic reminds you again why you hate miami so much, that you now hope they lose too.

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
            Demar's idol Kobe Bryant was much the same. He could play lockdown defence when he tried but often didn't. Kobe however VERY often tried in the playoffs and Demar doesn't seem to understand how that is crucial. I wish his model was Jordan who was always a factor at both ends. I also wonder why our perimeter defenders so often "steer" their man rather than play them square and just make it as hard as possible for them to have a path to the hoop. Often they steer them to the post who then has to challenge and either fouls or leaves the other post open for an easy dunk or layup. Lowry seems to do this particularly often.
            Uh Kobe made 12 All-defensive teams and 9 1st team selections. Even if the last three or four were just name recognition he was absolutely a force on both ends of the floor.

There's really no excuse for DeMar unless it's poor lateral quickness, which he can overcome with craftiness and screens on offense, but cannot overcome on defense. That said, at this point I think his bad defense is at least 50% effort, because I have seen him engaged and I have seen him give up on countless plays, and there is definitely a reservoir of effort he is not accessing.

Comment

• All the anti-tanking people; how do you reconcile your beliefs with Sixers' success?
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                All the anti-tanking people; how do you reconcile your beliefs with Sixers' success?
                Don't worry... Karma has no deadline.

Comment

All the anti-tanking people; how do you reconcile your beliefs with Sixers' success?
                  Tanking absolutely makes sense with the current draft rules. It doesn't always work though; look at the Edmonton Oilers. I've made the point several times this year that the Raptors might be headed for a long run of mediocrity with their "build from the inside approach". I like it in many ways but it probably means making the playoffs every year but not contending for the title. I think every team except perhaps the two finalists should be in the lottery with graduated odds. That way an intelligently run team that consistently finishes high can still have a chance to get a franchise player. So I can't hate Philly too much for what they did. It bothers me more that they were able to get Illyasova and Bellinelli for nothing. It would horrify me if they ended up with Lebron.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    Uh Kobe made 12 All-defensive teams and 9 1st team selections. Even if the last three or four were just name recognition he was absolutely a force on both ends of the floor.

There's really no excuse for DeMar unless it's poor lateral quickness, which he can overcome with craftiness and screens on offense, but cannot overcome on defense. That said, at this point I think his bad defense is at least 50% effort, because I have seen him engaged and I have seen him give up on countless plays, and there is definitely a reservoir of effort he is not accessing.

Yeah you're right.....I was thinking more of Kobe in his later years when his defending became more selective. I wish one of Demar's summer projects became working with some defensive guru and coming back as our best defender.

Comment

For every Philly there's teams like Orlando and Sacramento and Minnesota helplessly spinning their wheels in lottery hell for years. Tanking can definitely lead to great results, but it's far from a sure thing (no one way of building a team is close to a sure thing)

And even if you do land generational talent, that's also far from a guarantee that you'll win a title (though I do think the whole "championship or bust" mentality can often be a bit extreme). OKC drafted and had three(!) future MVPs on the same team, but they never won a championship, and it doesn't look like they'll win one anytime soon
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
                        It would horrify me if they ended up with Lebron.
                        They have cap space for a LeBron or Paul George, the 10th and 26th picks this year, and a recovered/rehabbed Markelle Fultz. Going to be tough if not borderline impossible to deal with them starting next year.

Comment

• damn they are likable af
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• The Sixers are starting to remind of the old Shaq and Penny's Magic team. If Shaq stayed in Orlando, they prolly would've won multiple championships.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                              For every Philly there's teams like Orlando and Sacramento and Minnesota helplessly spinning their wheels in lottery hell for years. Tanking can definitely lead to great results, but it's far from a sure thing (no one way of building a team is close to a sure thing)

And even if you do land generational talent, that's also far from a guarantee that you'll win a title (though I do think the whole "championship or bust" mentality can often be a bit extreme). OKC drafted and had three(!) future MVPs on the same team, but they never won a championship, and it doesn't look like they'll win one anytime soon
                              Except those teams didn't tank with any kind of plan. They were just bad and continued to be bad and didn't have the organizational structure or know-how to be successful.

I think Masai is smart enough, good enough at drafting and player development that it would work. Yes it requires luck as well, but so does winning the title the "traditional" way.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                They have cap space for a LeBron or Paul George, the 10th and 26th picks this year, and a recovered/rehabbed Markelle Fultz. Going to be tough if not borderline impossible to deal with them starting next year.
                                Yep. That's why this year is probably our last chance to go to the finals. Philly will be way too good next year if LeBron goes there for us to have any chance in hell of ever getting out of the east again. Not to mention any potential moves Boston might make (hell just getting Hayward and Kyrie back is going to be huge for them).

Comment

Working...
                                X