• Wizards in 8

3 5.77%
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread: Everything 2018 Playoffs!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    For every Philly there's teams like Orlando and Sacramento and Minnesota helplessly spinning their wheels in lottery hell for years. Tanking can definitely lead to great results, but it's far from a sure thing (no one way of building a team is close to a sure thing)

And even if you do land generational talent, that's also far from a guarantee that you'll win a title (though I do think the whole "championship or bust" mentality can often be a bit extreme). OKC drafted and had three(!) future MVPs on the same team, but they never won a championship, and it doesn't look like they'll win one anytime soon
    I think we can all agree that winning a championship is damn near impossible without a "generational talent". And the simplest way to obtain that generational talent, is through the draft. And the odds of nailing that draft pick increases the higher you draft. That's it....the essence of tanking.

Now factor in the million other variables that affect winning, regardless of which strategy you use to build your roster.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Philly advances in 5, and the old tank talk fires back up. How predictable.
    #WhiteHouseDown

3. Likes S.R. liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    All the anti-tanking people; how do you reconcile your beliefs with Sixers' success?
    The Sixers success doesn't change anything.

Blowing up a roster and rebuilding it through the draft can work. It's worked before, it's working with the Sixers, it'll work again. We can dig into all the factors/considerations/contexts to discuss on the topic, none of the discussion is changed.

I don't know if many people here are absolutely anti-tanking? Maybe a couple. The debate is usually around timing, when you do it vs when you don't.

The Sixers for their part were a crappy team that was peaking at around .500 at best for a solid 10+ year period before they got sick of it and decided to tank like hell. They needed to be the worst (or almost worst) team in the league for 4 straight years and whiff on a couple of their lotto picks, before they finally turned a corner. Good for them, they certainly paid their dues.

Don't hand them any awards yet though, you don't know if they're the next dynasty or the next Oden/Roy Blazers yet.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

5. Likes KeonClark, Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    All the anti-tanking people; how do you reconcile your beliefs with Sixers' success?
    A couple ways....

One or two playoff apperances in a decade for the Hinkies.......hell of a price to pay ...

Phoenix is using the same strategy.... and they continue to circle the drain without much progress..........8 years and counting since they even made the playoffs....

7. Likes Rudy Bargnani liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm wondering if shaolin fantastic and his colourful language when I dare criticize the entrepreneur kawhi Leonard would like to explain why he couldn't attend a single playoff game for his team
    #WhiteHouseDown

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I'm wondering if shaolin fantastic and his colourful language when I dare criticize the entrepreneur kawhi Leonard would like to explain why he couldn't attend a single playoff game for his team
    You know, I was hoping Kawhi would return the game after Popís wife passed away. Would have made for a terrific moment. Didnít happen sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes rocwell liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's been happening with Kawhi? I haven't really been following the situation. Has he been medically cleared to play, but choosing to sit out?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    What's been happening with Kawhi? I haven't really been following the situation. Has he been medically cleared to play, but choosing to sit out?
    If he was medically cleared to play, but chose to sit out, can he contractually do that?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    He was medically cleared but didn't feel right. Got a second opinion that said he wasn't ready. Hangs out in new York with his camp rehabbing. Spurs have tough time reaching him by phone, doesn't attend games
    #WhiteHouseDown

14. Likes planetmars liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote suspenders wrote: View Post
    If he was medically cleared to play, but chose to sit out, can he contractually do that?
    Well the story that the public has heard is that the Spurs Medical staff has cleared him to play. But Kwahi and his team got a second opinion and his own doctors don't feel he's ready to play. Kwahi and his team are listening to that second opinion.

This has created some friction among him and the rest of the team. Especially considering people play hurt in the playoffs all the time. Kwahi however is up for a big raise and probably doesn't want to jeopardize his future. So he's looking out for himself first over perhaps his team.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    A couple ways....

One or two playoff apperances in a decade for the Hinkies.......hell of a price to pay ...

Phoenix is using the same strategy.... and they continue to circle the drain without much progress..........8 years and counting since they even made the playoffs....
    Lol. You are just such a fucking dishonest poster.

Hinkie took over right before the 2012-13 season so it was actually 5 years without a playoff appearance not a decade during the process. And it's not like it fucking ends today. It was all to get to a point where you have multiple young superstars and can form a perennial contender. Barring some kind of freak injury, this Philly team is set to be a dominant force in the league for the next decade now.

Raptors Republic All-Star DogeLover1234's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Lol. You are just such a fucking dishonest poster.

Hinkie took over right before the 2012-13 season so it was actually 5 years without a playoff appearance not a decade during the process. And it's not like it fucking ends today. It was all to get to a point where you have multiple young superstars and can form a perennial contender. Barring some kind of freak injury, this Philly team is set to be a dominant force in the league for the next decade now.
    I think its worth noting that for most teams that were in the 76ers position in 2012 end up a lottery team in 3-5 years anyways, they just have a couple mediocre years in the meantime. Its not like Hinkie blew up a perennial playoff team to lose for a while.

If I had to be a fan of one of New Orleans/Philly/LALakers/NewYork/Charlotte/Detroit/Sacto over the last 4-5 years, seems like Philly is the obvious choice. No other team has a vision worth buying into. Its not like Hinkie was just trying to lose for draft picks either, the guy kept bringing in Dleaguers and undrafted guys on short contracts and eventually got a couple who stuck (TJ and Roco).

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread Information